MMS Diecast - Iron Man: 1/6th scale Mark III Collectible Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK so I couldn't stand the way my new MK3 looked w/ no ankle tilt...
Decided to mod it. I was worried about taking it apart, but honestly, it's a few screws and a little cutting. Nothing outrageous or earth shattering difficult. It was just getting over the fear factor, but again, all it entails is undoing a few panels and a few screws... the most "nerve racking part" was the cutting... but it's all buried inside the leg parts and you'll never see it unless you take everything apart... and the result is 100000 times worth it!

So here's a quick walk thru of what I did w/ some pics... I took a ton of pics w/ the walk thru so just be aware there is a bunch!!

I did one side at a time, to keep track.

Just take your time and don't force anything... should be a piece of cake!

Enjoy!!

Lay down a towel to start...

First take off this panel... it just pulls off with wiggling it off the 2 prongs

Next pull this panel off w/ your index finger from the top as in this pic... its on tight but will pop off. theres a big square tab on the bottom holding it to the leg

Undo these 3 screws and diecast plate will come off releasing the foot.

Foot comes free and you'll see the front foot cover now comes off. It just sits between the leg and that panel you took off.

Undo that screw... then that plate comes off. A little plastic tab will come off the other side that the screw goes into.

Undo the 2 screws on the bottom of the foot. Panel on bottom of foot comes off

Now ankle joint slides out bottom

Undo screw

Now comes the fun part... nerve racking, but honestly nothing to it!
You need to use a file or dremel and sand down both sides of the tab so it is flush with surface I'm pointing to. Like this:

Tape the foot w/ some masking tape for a line as in this pic. You are going to file down that corner that is not taped

After that, you are basically done...
Just go in reverse and start putting it all back together! Very easy and won't take you more than 15 min if you take your time.

By smoothing out the tabs off the ankle joint and trimming the corner off the foot... you now have ankle tilt!!

And the final result!

As you can see.. all work done to the parts is buried and you'll never know or see any of the cut parts.

Last edited:
It's rather silly the articulation wasn't included if it's such a simple job. It's not like the suit design wouldn't allow it or the whole leg need redesigning. It does feel quite lazy, the fact that there's even a joint in there to allow it, only for them to design the pieces so they don't move seems weird.

pro_design, thanks for the photo tutorial! :clap Your post has been bookmarked for if/when I decide to mod my figure as well.

It's rather silly the articulation wasn't included if it's such a simple job. It's not like the suit design wouldn't allow it or the whole leg need redesigning. It does feel quite lazy, the fact that there's even a joint in there to allow it, only for them to design the pieces so they don't move seems weird.

The only sensible reason I can think of for locking the ankle joints is because they might easily get loose, which leads to figures falling down. For primarily static poses, it doesn't matter; but with the extremely dynamic poses where weight is unevenly balanced, that might make more of a difference. Just a thought... :dunno

Excellent mod! :clap (insert the gif of the theater clapping scene)

pro_design, thanks for the photo tutorial! :clap Your post has been bookmarked for if/when I decide to mod my figure as well.

Thanks guys! :hi5:
It really is worth doing... not really difficult at all and makes such a massive difference in the look in normal stances.

The only sensible reason I can think of for locking the ankle joints is because they might easily get loose, which leads to figures falling down. For primarily static poses, it doesn't matter; but with the extremely dynamic poses where weight is unevenly balanced, that might make more of a difference. Just a thought... :dunno

Actually I get why they did it the way they did... or at least I assume I do...
I believe they are trying to replicate how the whole foot setup existed in the movie. Seeing as the flick presents it as more of a boot design, there would be no articulation in the ankle. Which is great and all for cg in a movie, not so great for a realistic figure as it looks unnatural standing up on in insides of his feet. As I said, I get it why they made it like that, but doesn't translate well to real life. Some people may argue saying its not screen accurate or realistic to have his ankles to be able to tilt... but this is all make believe crap! it ain't real! Suspension of disbelief is required w/ the flick... as well as the figure! ;)

Opened mine up finally. the overall simplicity of this design really stands out for me. Decided to part ways with all the other armors i have (for now)

The ex is currently available on sideshow . Use holiday15 code for $20 off

Saw that the other day. As one who only ordered it a few months ago, I wouldn't have minded the EX. EXs don't usually bother me, but I wouldn't have minded this one...

Man that's tempting. So tough to spend money on myself during the holiday season though plus I think I may be getting a gift card. Hopefully the ex is still around after, doubt it though.

Excellent mod. Thanks for having the balls to try this and love the clear and concise walkthrough. Definitely going to be doing this to my MKIII.

Excellent mod. Thanks for having the balls to try this and love the clear and concise walkthrough. Definitely going to be doing this to my MKIII.

Thanks! It's well worth the little amount of work for the payoff!

Awesome work! I'm getting the bluey.

Thanks! i'd assume the blue version should be identical to mod. Easy enough to pop off those few things and see anyway...

Hi all. I acquired this figure in a trade. Keep in mind I don't collect the DC and Marvel lines except for TDK Joker. In my mindset accepting this figure as a part of trade I was going to either sell it or keep it. From reading some of the posts on here, it looks like a whole lot of you are happy with this figure. I am glad to see a lot of positive reviews.

Hi all. I acquired this figure in a trade. Keep in mind I don't collect the DC and Marvel lines except for TDK Joker. In my mindset accepting this figure as a part of trade I was going to either sell it or keep it. From reading some of the posts on here, it looks like a whole lot of you are happy with this figure. I am glad to see a lot of positive reviews.

I like it better than the MMS75 as in the old Mark III.

Took my Mark III out of the ground pound pose I had him in since i got the figure to really appreciate the armor. What a classic!
image.jpg
image.jpg

Took my Mark III out of the ground pound pose I had him in since i got the figure to really appreciate the armor. What a classic!

That's why I hate poses like the ground punch, it covers up so much of the armour.

For someone who has never used a Dremel before, does anyone have any suggestions on what attachment to use for the foot mod? I plan to practice on some scrap plastic first, of course. What I have right now is the kit below, but if another attachment would work better I can pick it up before starting the mod.

Thanks,
Kevin

untitled.jpg

Back