MMS Diecast - Iron Man: 1/6th scale Mark III Collectible Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would say no, for these reasons:

Mark 43

• Great Paint (Screen Accurate)
• Good Articulation
• Correct Proportions
• Improved Shoulder Pads from Mark 42
• Nice Base
• Ultron Corpse
• 60% - 70% Diecast

Mark 3

• Wrong Shade of Red Paint
• No Waist Articulation with "Swap Out" Plastic Torso
• Bad Ankle Articulation that Needs Modded to Move Correctly
• Wonky Proportions
• Horrible Shoulder Gaps
• Standard Base
• Next to No Extras - Reused Extra for Special Edition Version
• 30% - 40% Diecast

Of course, it all boils down to preference of which armor you prefer… but these are my findings comparing the two figures.

Trading Mark 43 for Mark 3 is definitely not an upgrade as far as quality of the figure goes.

Last edited:
Sorry bud but half the things you listed as facts, are opinions. I can find scenes where the mk43 paint doesn match. The "proportions" argument can be applied to the 43. The proportions on the ml3 are because of the suit design. If you like that suit then it's a moot point. The ankle articulation is actually screen accurate and realistic. Can't use screen accurate as a plus on the 43 and then slam the 3 for it.

I changed the wording to reflect my findings when comparing the two figures in-hand.
I had the Mark 3 for about a week before I sold it off.

I have yet to see any part of Age of Ultron where it does not match the Hot Toys paint (90% there, at least).
Most of the Mark 3 footage, he is clearly more maroon than the candy apple red they painted him.

The proportions are off, as far as height goes. Especially compared to most of the other 1/6 scale figures
Hot Toys has been making. He is almost a head height too short and looks off when put together with the other Avengers.

I can see the ankle articulation being suit accurate, but it limits posing him unless modded.

Sorry if it's already been asked, whats the general consensus, is it worth trading in the Mk43 for this? Cheers ����

All boils down to which armor design you like better and how important articulation is to you. What the Mk3 lacks in articulation, it makes up for with better body proportions. IMO the Mk43 in 1/6 is too skinny, but HT nailed the proportions in the 1/4. If you decide to trade, I would ask for trade plus cash, the Mk43 trade value is definitely worth more than the Mk3.

IMO as a figure, Mk43 is better than Mk3 in every way. They are the only two Iron Man I have and if it was a choice, Mk43 no contest. The only reason I'd go Mk3 is for old school, phase 1 solo movie nostalgia.

The Mk3 is a half hearted effort with a laundry list of flaws, and to me it plain doesn't look good. I sold mine immediately.

I was so excited when the figure was announced, and then I saw the final product and was greatly disappointed. Now to be honest I think most Hot Toys Iron Man figures are out of proportion. They don't look like a man could fit inside and have an arsenal with propulsion and coolant. But some of HT are so beautiful (mark iv and mark vi) IMO that it really doesn't matter how accurate they are. The marvel select mark vi is more proportionately correct but I wouldn't take it over Hot Toys.

If they had made the new mark iii look like the legendary scale version that sideshow did with legacy, I could live with a swap out waist, reused head sculpt, shoulder gaps and calling it die cast when it's mostly plastic. But they didn't.

I was so excited when the figure was announced, and then I saw the final product and was greatly disappointed. Now to be honest I think most Hot Toys Iron Man figures are out of proportion. They don't look like a man could fit inside and have an arsenal with propulsion and coolant. But some of HT are so beautiful (mark iv and mark vi) IMO that it really doesn't matter how accurate they are. The marvel select mark vi is more proportionately correct but I wouldn't take it over Hot Toys.

If they had made the new mark iii look like the legendary scale version that sideshow did with legacy, I could live with a swap out waist, reused head sculpt, shoulder gaps and calling it die cast when it's mostly plastic. But they didn't.

See it's this stuff that confuses me. Yes the proportions of the suit are wonky. The studio said that was both on purpose and in later films changed because they didn't like it when it was done. That's a design element of the suit. So if you just don't like the mk3 look that's one thing. But to say the hot toys version is bad but if it looked like this other version it would be cool...I don't get it. The proportions on the sideshow 1/2 scale is the same as the hot toys 1/6, except changes where made for articulation. But the mid section which most people point to as the problem is identical. And the hot toys version is closer to the screen paint. Not a match for all of it. (No one figure would be as the suit has multiple colors on screen so unless it color shifts not gonna match every screen grab).

So the statue on the left is fine but the figure on the right is a fail? I don't get it.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I never said it was a fail, just a disappointment and not worth the price at the time. Secondly, I don't know how you can say that the mid sections are identical. The Hot Toys version looks like he had liposuction compared to the 1/2 scale. View attachment 237711

I never said it was a fail, just a disappointment and not worth the price at the time. Secondly, I don't know how you can say that the mid sections are identical. The Hot Toys version looks like he had liposuction compared to the 1/2 scale. View attachment 237711

It's easy to say. Because it is. That's a different angle. Also on a promo photo that for all we know was retouched. Look at the photo I posted of the two actual products. They are the same. My mk3 is in the ground punch pose so it's got the twisted mid on but my mk3 stealth is in the standing. So it's blue not red. But it's the same.

The mid section looks odd because of, again, the design of the suit. The chest piece causes the optical illusion effect.

image.jpeg

Proportion are more or less fine. Articulation and paint job is the more stand out disappointment for me.

The only reason I haven't sold this figure yet is because it's the Mark 3 and I doubt they'll redo this figure any time soon.

I hope they redo this in 1/4. Would sell like hot cakes.

Funny enough...I just did a comparison of the size of the mk3dc mid section to the mk4 mid section. Using a proportional caliper. It's a simple tool used to do scale conversions in 3D, drafting and sculpting usually, and for comparing sizes directly. Anyway...the mk3dc mid section is actually larger, by a very very small amount, then the mk4. Here's a few pics. It's hard to take a pic with my phone while holding the figures and the caliper. So I just did ones with the caliper on the figure(in the Mk3 case I just used the mid section since it's not on the figure, and then a picture of it with a ruler. But I did do the direct comparison. And it shows the mk3 mid is ever so slightly larger.

Feel free to verify my work by doing it yourself. I'll bust out my dslr tomorrow if I have time and do a video so you can see it in real time if you want. And I'll try to run to my storage if I get a Janice and the weather holds and grab my two maquettes. I have a 1/4 and a 1/2 scale. And you can see they are spot on in scale (if you look up the caliper you will see it allows you to adjust it for 1:1, 1:2, 1:4, and 1:6 but I have a couple others that do other scales.so I can easily compare a 1/6 to a 1/4 with the same device and know if one is not in scale with the other)

The tool(not me lol)
image.jpeg

The mk4
image.jpeg

The mk4 measurements
image.jpeg

The mk3 mid-couldn't get the caliper to stay on for the pic. Sorry.
image.jpeg

The mk3 measures
image.jpeg

Like I said. The design of the suit makes it look like the mid sections is tiny. But the mk4,5,6 have almost identical mid section measurements of the mk3dc.

Back