Media Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain & Ground Zeroes

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I gave an attempt at making Jack Bauer in MGO since he's voiced by Kiefer and I'd already named him Jack. Ignore the croc hat and I still need to earn enough GP to get the black colour for the outfit but this is him so far

59B55ABBCA82CA8F848D0EAD45586B34CC50B31F

Isn’t the Kiefer face actually the default face is you put all the settings on 0?

I remember reading thats the hidden face of the medic on Ground Zeroes.

Isn’t the Kiefer face actually the default face is you put all the settings on 0?

I remember reading thats the hidden face of the medic on Ground Zeroes.

That's not how I made that avatar, but I'll give that a go next time I'm on out of curiosity. Even then I wouldn't have said Medic was a lot like Sutherland, only looks like him from some angles

latest

I gave an attempt at making Jack Bauer in MGO since he's voiced by Kiefer and I'd already named him Jack. Ignore the croc hat and I still need to earn enough GP to get the black colour for the outfit but this is him so far

59B55ABBCA82CA8F848D0EAD45586B34CC50B31F

If HT made a Kiefer sculpt, it would look like that.

That's not how I made that avatar, but I'll give that a go next time I'm on out of curiosity. Even then I wouldn't have said Medic was a lot like Sutherland, only looks like him from some angles

latest

You’re right, my mistake, Kiefer voices the medic also, and when you put everything to zero it makes the medic’s face which has some of Kiefer face in there but mostly not.

Considering the competition its going up against, I'd be surprised if MGS V walked away with any.

It'll probably lose game of the year since Witcher is sweeping that, but I think it has a great chance in the other categories.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Honestly, this is the first time I've even heard of BAFT. I'm not even sure what kind of criteria they're going to use. But, for what I think on how things should go for such categories:

I guess "Innovation" could be a category where MGS V could win something, with the base-management system and the ability to call in supply drops and support with the iDroid. I forgot that you can also use your iPhone or iPad as an iDroid as well. But, then again, Witcher 3 has a pretty innovative inventory and leveling-up system. In fact, it's probably the most advanced management system I've ever seen in an RPG.

As for "artistic", MGS V looks too cross-generational because the Fox Engine was being developed for the PS3, and was transitioned over to the PS4. It really shows. Although the character models look great, the landscapes are very barren, and the base environments are visually unappealing with the same monotone-colored buildings sparsely placed throughout. The does game show some great lens-flaring with the sun, but that's all I could think about that truly sets it apart in terms of artistic appeal.

So, I think the artistic category should go to Witcher 3, Arkham Knight, or Syndicate. All three games have beautiful scenery, and the rain effects in Arkham Knight are simply stunning when it falls on Batman's cowl and cape. I'm primarily a PC gamer now, but I was very impressed by how AK actually pushed the PS4's hardware. I haven't played Ori or Everybody's Gone to the Rapture, but from what I've seen from trailers and such, the games do look amazing as well; great lighting and lens flares for Rapture, and Ori looks very colorful with 2D environments that remind me a bit of Rayman.

For audio, Arkham Knight has great directional sound that really "pops" when it should and mellows out when it should as well. But, Witcher 3 has an amazing soundtrack throughout, that might give it an edge.

Last edited:
I don't know what "Audio achievement" entails but I can say that no self-respecting audiophile would consider MGSV as anything remotely approaching noteworthy. Poor directional effects, lack of 3D depth and soundstage, absolutely lackluster soundtrack for Metal Gear standards.

MGS4 might have raised the bar way too high as I can't find a single game that sounds as good thanks to the collaboration with Skywalker Sound. MGSV is 30 step backwards.

I forgot to mention about the directional sound, and the sound-stage. It's pretty horrible on MGS V, even on the virtual sound that I've experienced on my Astro A50. And the music isn't memorable at all.

If it were up to me, I wouldn't assign MGS V any awards. Aside from the base-management and iPhone/iPad link-up to the iDroid (which could count as "innovation"), I truly felt as if the game took backward steps in everything else. Maybe it's deserving of the "Biggest Hype" award for 2014.

I believe if wasn't for the "Metal Gear Solid" label, and if this game wasn't linked to Kojima or Konami, it wouldn't have garnered as much attention as it did. There's very little about it in presentation and style that resembles the series in any way.

I know this might sound weird and I can't seem the put my finger on why but for all the slack I gave GZ it feels more like mgs than TPP did

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain & Ground Zeroes

I thought the sound in MGSV was amazing, the soundtrack was amazing, and it probably has the best gameplay ever.

I'm just happy to see it getting all this recognition from award shows, usually the series gets overlooked in that department.

I can't wait to see what Kojima cooks up next. The wait for his next game is going to be excruciating though :lol

I know this might sound weird and I can't seem the put my finger on why but for all the slack I gave GZ it feels more like mgs than TPP did

At least GZ kept us guessing up until the release of MGS V :lol. I really thought that Skull Face was going to be a complex and intriguing character. But, I didn't believe that his reasons for "revenge" and his hatred for Zero and Big Boss were well established. He was also relegated to sporadic cameo appearances, cassette tapes, and sequences of a lame death scene that robbed us of a boss fight. Overall, the game set-up some good premises that just fell completely flat in presentation.

I thought the sound in MGSV was amazing, the soundtrack was amazing, and it probably has the best gameplay ever.

I'm just happy to see it getting all this recognition from award shows, usually the series gets overlooked in that department.

I can't wait to see what Kojima cooks up next. The wait for his next game is going to be excruciating though :lol

I can agree about the gameplay, it felt pretty solid. The controls were buttery smooth, and I'm glad that KojiPro managed to improve on what they did for Peace Walker.

To this day, I still want a horror game from Kojima... hopefully, we'll see one in the future.

Last edited:

:exactly:

I gave crap to GZ when it came out, but that felt way focused than TPP. I have that on my HDD while I deleted TPP after wasting 250 hours of my time on the stupid platinum trophy. :yuck

Back