Media Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain & Ground Zeroes

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Modified Zeke actually makes the most sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah that's what I think, it looks a lot like the Zeke and Rex, like half and half, it looks far too slim to be the REX and far too stable to be Zeke.

This is really out there. But, since Granin already had the blue prints for REX in MGS 3, I wonder if he actually managed to build the mech; if whether after the events of MGS 3, REX was secretly taken by the Patriots and reversed engineered to construct all of the other Metal Gears.

On that note, the interesting thing about ZEKE, is that it was built on readily available parts from the AI mechs in Peace Walker. And somehow, when ZEKE was finally constructed, it bore a striking resemblance to REX (especially with its radome and rail run). It might just be an odd coincidence, though.

Last edited:
I think he problem is Kojima is turning luttle easter eggs in to full plot points which then confuses the plot. Much luke Rex blueprints in MGS3, now turning to Rex in 1984 :slap:slap:slap

More Great News!!!

IGN Hands On

https://www.ign.com/articles/2014/06/10/e3-2014-metal-gear-solid-5-the-phantom-pain-is-spectacular

We saw 20 minutes of The Phantom Pain running on a PlayStation 4 at E3 today, and its gorgeous open-world, array of gameplay options and throwback to classic Metal Gear features truly wowed us. Check out Marty and Lucy's impressions below.Metal Gear Solid V: Phantom Pain is an open-world Peace Walker sequel with heavy RPG elements, and I couldn’t be happier. The demo shown to us at E3 featured a very brief cinematic introducing Snake’s mission to infiltrate an Afghan village and obtain information regarding the imprisonment of Master Miller, and from there it was pure open-world gameplay.

Phantom Pain is an immediately stunning game. The scope of the mountainous landscape littered with canyons, livestock, villages, and creeks is staggering. Riding your horse across the plains brought shades of Red Dead Redemption, even down to the way the music would swell as you neared a dangerous area.The first big surprise of the demo was the ability for Venom Snake (evidently that’s what he’s called now?) to use Peace Walker’s infinitely rad Fulton System to transport stunned enemies back to Mother Base and recruit them as your own personal Diamond Dog army. But humans are just the tip of this iceberg – everything from crates, to vehicles, to sheep can be skyhook-ed out of the world and brought back to your Big Shell-esque base of operations.

What’s even better is that you can chopper your way back to your fully-customizable Mother Base at any point in the game and wander around your creation. Seeing the spoils of my actions wandering about your base brought to mind shades of Skies of Arcadia and Suikoden, and I couldn’t be happier about that. Troops were practicing at shooting ranges, Snake could spare with his men to raise their levels, and we even spotted a young Revolver Ocelot gazing off longingly into the sunset.

Back on solid ground in Afghanistan, I was really impressed by the emphasis placed on approaching encounters in a non-lethal manner. If you want to build up your base, you can’t be John Rambo. Luckily Snake has a load of new tricks to help complete his mission without getting blood on his hand(s). Thanks to his prosthetic arm, you can attract guards by knocking wherever you are in the world, no wall needed. An active weather system brought a blinding sandstorm through the valley, and while it definitely obstructed the player’s vision, it also allowed Snake to move about under the cover of sand.

At one point in the demo, the Kojima Productions representative leading it accidental called the game Peace Walker. It was the best kind of Freudian slip imaginable. I echo Marty's sentiments that this feels exactly like a Peace Walker sequel; all the features that were missing from Ground Zeroes are now back, and the game looks to be a much richer experience for it.

I love how Kojima's not afraid to learn and grow yet still manages to keep these tried and tested Metal Gear quirks relevant. The cardboard box, for example, has had an upgrade: you can now burst out of it to shoot at enemies then duck back inside. Being spotted while moving around in it is no longer the death sentence it once was, either - you can dive out of the box into cover and leave it there as a decoy. Cue a suspicious soldier, and zip! Tranq to the head. The cigarette is back, too - but this time it's an E-cigar, and is used as a means to speed up the day/night cycle. Hey; a guy’s gotta relax some time.The support marker from Peace Walker has had an upgrade, too. As well as air strikes and rations, you can now call in your team to scope out the area before you infiltrate it, allowing you to gain information on the placement of enemies beyond your immediate position.

A sense of playfulness makes a welcome return. While Ground Zeroes was a great game, it went for a much heavier tone than in previous instalments. But fultoning animals and waddling around in your tricked out cardboard box in The Phantom Pain is pure comedy, while incidental animations like your horse just casually taking a crap suggest Kojima’s toilet humour is back with a welcome (depending on who you talk to) vengeance.Of course, these features and quirks are spliced seamlessly into the fluid, stealth-focused gameplay introduced in Ground Zeroes. Boss is still a remarkably flexible protagonist, rolling and ducking and weaving in the playground of this fictional Afghanistan, and now he's even versatile on a horse; hanging off the side of his saddle in order to remain unseen feels like a hilariously implausible but totally ingenious new form of stealth.

The old is meeting the new in spectacular fashion in The Phantom Pain, and the 20 minutes we saw today left me desperate for more. While the demo didn't give us enough of a taste on the game's story to form an opinion, based on gameplay alone The Phantom Pain is undoubtedly a highlight at this year's E3.

Knocking is back, no wall needed, you can now knock anywhere.

Last edited:
Yeah, that's a good bash. But, it makes me more convinced that we might not see a Hot Toys release of a TPP Big Boss figure. The clothes can be easily found on Ebay, and Hot Toys likes challenges. I think it's more likely that they'd opt for a Sneaking Suit figure from GZ, instead.

or that look:

metal-gear-solid-v-5-the-phantom-pain-ps3-xbox-360-screenshots-11.jpg

@Solidus: You bring up a good point about BB being described from Ocelot and Eva's point of view. Considering how reverent they were towards him, it wouldn't surprise me if they glorified BB during MGS4 which is why he seemed like such a martyr when they talked about him (I still personally never bought it, if you recall my stance towards Ocelot's character and all). Do remember that even Snake still treated BB like a villain even till the end, and I like the story retcon that Snake knew CQC but never used it until MGS4 because he was ashamed of BB as a mentor/teacher; in which he only started using it again to show off what "real" CQC is like since all the PMCs and militia are doing it ever since all of BB's Snake Eater files were made public.

Also for everyone, it seems like "V Has Come To" is finally explained by yours truly:
17x7Wb9.png

W9ohGQE.png

yl5b8So.png

S3a22x6.png

0XlEHpp.png

I don't mind this direction and the fact that he's reinforcing the "villain" angle for BB and Ocelot makes me hopeful.

I can only guess that he starts out as "Punished Snake" and turns into "Venom Snake" later in the game (or early? since the shrapnel only seemed to come in after Ocelot rescues him). But seriously, if this was the case all along he never should have used Punished Snake since now it's practically redundant, not to mention one of his editors should've pointed out that "Venomous Snake" sounds a whole lot better :monkey4 (fits the same syllables as Solidus at the very least)

V=Villain=Venom..... Mhmmm makes sense, I kinda like it now, seems a little less boring and since it was all part of the plan apparently, serves a purpose.

Punished Snake makes it feel like he's receiving rightful retribution, diminishing his villain status, sounds cooler, but I kinda Venom makes more sense now.....

Yup, Venomous has a way better ring to it.

Okay I only noticed this just now, but I absolutely love how the various organizations correlate to each phrase:

yrPIzfB.gif

8AlZpHc.gif

wciBvCf.gif

cIwmWgU.gif

Sure it's taken them 4 games but hey, we're finally getting there! I do love how each phrase summarizes the significance of the plot progression: MSF being bogged down by The Boss and their respective losses in GZ ("Phantoms"), XOF being Skull Face's rag-tag group of unknowns ("Spirits"), Diamond Dogs being constructed out of a vengeful desire ("Retribution"). Knowing the whole "Venom"/villain theme now, the last pic actually sent chills down my spine.

Okay I only noticed this just now, but I absolutely love how the various organizations correlate to each phrase:

yrPIzfB.gif

8AlZpHc.gif

wciBvCf.gif

cIwmWgU.gif

Sure it's taken them 4 games but hey, we're finally getting there! I do love how each phrase summarizes the significance of the plot progression: MSF being bogged down by The Boss ("Phantoms"), XOF being Skull Face's rag-tag group of unknowns ("Spirits"), Diamond Dogs being constructed out of a vengeful desire ("Retribution"). Knowing the whole "Venom"/villain theme now, the last pic actually sent chills down my spine.

Nice find.

Damn, I kinda wish he was being called Venomous Snake, that actually has a better ring to it than Naked Snake, and Punished Snake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Poison Snake.

That also has a great ring to it, but then the games title would have to be changed to Metal Gear Solid P, “P has come to”, sounds a little perverted if you ask me :lol

yrPIzfB.gif

8AlZpHc.gif

wciBvCf.gif

cIwmWgU.gif

Sure it's taken them 4 games but hey, we're finally getting there! I do love how each phrase summarizes the significance of the plot progression: MSF being bogged down by The Boss ("Phantoms"), XOF being Skull Face's rag-tag group of unknowns ("Spirits"), Diamond Dogs being constructed out of a vengeful desire ("Retribution"). Knowing the whole "Venom"/villain theme now, the last pic actually sent chills down my spine.

Any idea on who or what Big Boss is referring to when he saids, “I won’t scatter your sorrow to the heartless sea.
I will always be with you”?

Could it be Chico he’s referring to? Possibly smearing Chico’s ashes on his face, or it could just be a general statement, a symbolic gesture for all of his fallen comrades.

Last edited:
Haha good point! :lol

I just liked the idea he has become poisoned against the world and his existing organisations so will be exacting revenge.

But I don't mind Venom Snake that much.

That also has a great ring to it, but then the games title would have to be changed to Metal Gear Solid P, “P has come to”, sounds a little perverted if you ask me :lol

Any idea on who or what Big Boss is referring to when he saids, “I won’t scatter your sorrow to the heartless sea.
I will always be with you”?

Could it be Chico he’s referring to? Possibly smearing Chico’s ashes on his face, or it could just be a general statement, a symbolic gesture for all of his fallen comrades.

I took it as a comment toward everyone they lost during Ground Zeroes. Even in that you could see the pain of losing comrades in him. Like when the faceless soldier who helped get Kaz on the helicopter got shot, he picked up another rifle and just started killing again. He probably would have died fighting had they not forced him on the chopper as the rig collapsed.

Also I love how they are transitioning Big Boss into his villain role with this one, setting up Solid as the hero of the series.

All the news are pretty good

I hope the rest of the Diamond Dogs are playable. I don't know how serious Kojima is with all these new names, I will always call him Big Boss.

I'm starting to think Zero will be the final boss riding a Metal Gear, Big Boss with cripple him and leave the guy near dead, but if BB thinks Zero is dead that may be a reason to go Back to the states and try to destroy the system for good, maybe I took it too far :lol but I hope Zero actually shows up in this one

Kojima confirmed he’s showing up, I just hope he’s a big part of the story and not just a cameo.

That what I mean, I want to be able to actually hurt the guy, maybe torture him a little

What I said about fighting a MG, I take it back I don't want that, I want to be the one driving it this time. I know at leats we'll be driving the smaller versions

Back