Media Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain & Ground Zeroes

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: The Phantom Pain (Possibly MGS related?) - update - MGSV?

It would be funny if it turned out to be Liquid somehow. I know it's not.

I don't think it's Liquid. If you look at the child's arms, he has enormously long, hanging sleeves, like what you'd see in a straight jacket when it's unrestrained. Psycho Mantis suffered from some kind of enormous emotional trauma as a child (according to his confession to Snake in MGS 1), and he probably needed to be institutionalized. The supernatural pyrokinesis powers also hints that it's Mantis.

Last edited:

This is definitely excited and awesome, well done Kojima.

Just seen this. Definitely confused on the trailer but that is definitely some kind of "Phantom" of Volgin. Maybe the burned man was Volgin after all... even though I think it's pretty hack to keep bringing back dead characters into MGS...

Honestly I think it's strange if people DIDN'T realize this was MGS. I mean that was definitely a suit like Volgin or perhaps even the MGS portable ops version based on the leg armor. And the troops doing the killing are the same 1980-1990s Navy SEAL CQB looking guys. Look up the old Hot Toys Navy SEAL VBSS figures and they are a match BTW. Just everything about that trailer screamed MGS.

This is all confusing but exciting.

If it's MGS5 and that is Solid Snake then i'm gonna miss his arm, and if it's another MGS game with Naked, then what about GZ?

If it's a boss fight or epilogue sequence from GZ then that would be cool

EDIT: in the gameplay video of Ground Zeroes said "from FOX. two Phantoms were" born" :huh

Last edited:

It's not that hard to figure out. The "Two Phantoms" is most likely a direct reference to Liquid and Solid Snake - who were both trained at Fox Hound. In addition, the storyline of Peace Walker took place two years after The Patriots harvested cells from Big Boss to use in the "Les Enfants Terribles" cloning project. So, Liquid and Solid Snake should have been born already in the current time period of the Big Boss storyline.

On another note: I think that Big Boss was either having a dream or hallucinating. Things like flaming unicorns, a random kid who starts fire out of the "ether", a ghostly aberration of Volgin, and a death squad of soldiers that pop out of thin air, aren't themes that are grounded in reality. It further backs up the notion that the small child is probably Psycho Mantis, and he's having a field day screwing around with Big Boss' mind - just like what he tried to do with Solid Snake in MGS 1.

It could also the case, that The Sorrow (aka. the Freddy Krueger of MGS) has returned to give Big Boss another nightmare for old time's sake. Like his way of saying, "hello". Revival pill, anyone? :lol

Last edited:

Just seen this. Definitely confused on the trailer but that is definitely some kind of "Phantom" of Volgin. Maybe the burned man was Volgin after all... even though I think it's pretty hack to keep bringing back dead characters into MGS...

I actually believe that the "burned man" that we saw in the Ground Zeroes trailer, was the same guy with bandages around his face who was helping Big Boss to escape from the hospital in the "Phantom Pain" trailer.

Id be willing to believe that most of what happened during that trailer was a hallucination. The flying, flaming whale has to be a hallucination. It couldn't have existed, technologically in that time frame, right? (Even by crazy MGS standards).

While on the topic, I really liked the tone and style of the trailer. It was more akin to a psychological thriller/horror than MGS, with some elements from Jacob's Ladder and Silent Hill. Man, that'd be cool.

Id be willing to believe that most of what happened during that trailer was a hallucination. The flying, flaming whale has to be a hallucination. It couldn't have existed, technologically in that time frame, right? (Even by crazy MGS standards).

While on the topic, I really liked the tone and style of the trailer. It was more akin to a psychological thriller/horror than MGS, with some elements from Jacob's Ladder and Silent Hill. Man, that'd be cool.

Kojima has made mention of Silent Hill a lot this year, wanting to use the new fox engine on it. What if all this MGS stuff was a red herring, and it's really a new SH game under Kojima's direction :horror:horror:horror:panic::panic:

...ok no it probably isn't

I actually believe that the "burned man" that we saw in the Ground Zeroes trailer, was the same guy with bandages around his face who was helping Big Boss to escape from the hospital in the "Phantom Pain" trailer.

I think the burned man is the bad guy whos soldiers are looking to kill snake in this trailer

001gfa.jpg

Kojima has made mention of Silent Hill a lot this year, wanting to use the new fox engine on it. What if all this MGS stuff was a red herring, and it's really a new SH game under Kojima's direction :horror:horror:horror:panic::panic:

...ok no it probably isn't

I'd be okay with this.

Seriously though I think it's a safe bet to expect that the next SH will use the Fox Engine.

I'd be okay with this.

Seriously though I think it's a safe bet to expect that the next SH will use the Fox Engine.

It would be a welcome and necessary injection of life into an otherwise dying (or dead) franchise. Hearing Kojima talk about it got me really excited for a future SH using the FOX engine.

However, everything here points to MGS...seemingly and without doubt.

If only Konami showed SH the same level of respect and reverence that the MGS series gets.

with all the crap weve seen for this new MGS game its gonna be awesome. it seems way different than anything that weve played recently in the franchise. if thats mantis im in with both feet. im not tired of snake story iterations by any means but i really want to know about all the other characters and how they came into fruition. mantis was one of the most unique with the most convoluted story. this game is gonna be really cool!

I know there will be a new MGS game, but ..

Didn't Kojima stated before that MGS4 is the last metal gear game? when he said that did he mean its the last game for Solid Snake? .. because i don't see Solid Snake Returning since MGS4 because he Aged

BigBoss looks like he's been in that hospital for a while, he's lost some weight(arms are skinny) so I take it that the burnt dude from the grounds zeroes trailer/gameplay from before is volgin? And ideally curious about that hand... Or lack of

I know there will be a new MGS game, but ..

Didn't Kojima stated before that MGS4 is the last metal gear game? when he said that did he mean its the last game for Solid Snake? .. because i don't see Solid Snake Returning since MGS4 because he Aged

Yeah he did say that but doesn't mean solid won't ever be playable again... I think there gunna pull an mgs2, have you start as big boss and the part way through you'll switch to a young solid snake in training (like raiden)

^^^ now that you mention it .. now im starting to think the burnt man is Volgin

Back