Media Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain & Ground Zeroes

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very true, and it was reassuring to me seeing that type of comment many many times on Youtube.

I'm just glad Kojima isn't part of it anymore. He's shown that he's been long since burned out of the series and how much the scripts have dropped in quality that it was time for him to get away from it.

I really should do a marathon some time this year of MGS1-4.

Memories of this thread:
1.) The back and forth arguments for two years without ceasing
2.) Henry Morgan was still a dude
3.) Gif spamming
4.) Something about MGS
5.) eee-yon-gah
6.) Dave intervening into the VG section for the first time, and immediately regretting his decision to come into this thread.

That made me laugh :lol . How did I miss 6?
Planning to sell off my PPT copy and buy the GZ+TPP one just for the sake of it.

That made me laugh :lol . How did I miss 6?
Planning to sell off my PPT copy and buy the GZ+TPP one just for the sake of it.

I can't stand Yong, he's a narcissist who can't help himself but to let everyone know how great he is. His over analysis of MGS lore diverts from what should be an intelligent dissection to compulsive self-fulfillment. He's a terrible interviewer, often putting his guests in awkward spots by asking them their knowledge of MGS, which none of the actors know because it not in their job description and he loves to interrupt his guests by pointing out how "accomplished" he is.

Fans like Yong are one of the reasons I have no love for the series anymore. Kojima isn't making experimental games and taking huge risks like he did with MGS2, but rather making fan service junk for overly vocal morons like Yong. I hate to bash someone online, but this guy is so nauseating that I'd make an exception.

Memories of this thread:
1.) The back and forth arguments for two years without ceasing
2.) Henry Morgan was still a dude
3.) Gif spamming
4.) Something about MGS
5.) eee-yon-gah
6.) Dave intervening into the VG section for the first time, and immediately regretting his decision to come into this thread.
Did you just assume Henry's gender?

Hits everything on the head.

Funny I post this, and for some reason I've gotten the itch to play this again. I think it was since I got the Quiet kit, and I did like her only out of the whole experience.

I've only gone through it, once. Got the Platinum and let it collect dust for over half a year now. I've grown quite bored of what I'm playing and want to give it a shot again. More for just seeing how bad it truly is, and the gameplay did have some good points about it.

As much as a I railed PW, it had solid gameplay and had tons of replay value. Even with the hindered graphics, the environments had a charm about them that made them immersive. This had tons of potential that just didn't happen when it comes to gameplay. As for the story... there's no saving that.

Last edited:
DLC entailing what exactly?

whatever you could think of. Maps, monster hunter stuff, ghost hunting, essentially just mgsv vr missions. They could of been making money forever.

They have a goddamn map creator, how hard could it be to make a few, with interesting enemy layouts n stuff.

Like they could of had a dlc of 5 or 6 levels where you get to fight all the classic metals gears on some simple maps, they could probably make that in a month.

Last edited:
whatever you could think of. Maps, monster hunter stuff, ghost hunting, essentially just mgsv vr missions. They could of been making money forever.

They have a goddamn map creator, how hard could it be to make a few, with interesting enemy layouts n stuff.

Like they could of had a dlc of 5 or 6 levels where you get to fight all the classic metals gears on some simple maps, they could probably make that in a month.

I imagine that would have been the plan before hideo left. They probably would have made chapter 3 DLC too

Chapter 3 still leaves the rest of the garbage story still within it. Compounding more poop on top of poop doesn't make a diamond.

Hits everything on the head.

Funny I post this, and for some reason I've gotten the itch to play this again. I think it was since I got the Quiet kit, and I did like her only out of the whole experience.

I've only gone through it, once. Got the Platinum and let it collect dust for over half a year now. I've grown quite bored of what I'm playing and want to give it a shot again. More for just seeing how bad it truly is, and the gameplay did have some good points about it.

As much as a I railed PW, it had solid gameplay and had tons of replay value. Even with the hindered graphics, the environments had a charm about them that made them immersive. This had tons of potential that just didn't happen when it comes to gameplay. As for the story... there's no saving that.

The dude brought up a lot of good points. I especially liked how he touched on the fact that there weren't any Afghans in the entire game, despite the fact that the Soviets were at war with them. And since Big Boss was a mercenary for hire, he should've had the opportunity to pick and choose sides to fan the flames of perpetual conflict. He's in a PMC after all, and his main goal should've been profit above anything else. I think that would've showed him more like a "demon". But, nah, instead, he's still doing good guy garbage, and it was hilarious that we weren't even playing as him :lol.

This game was a poor man's MGS 2 at best - with no redeeming qualities, whatsoever.

The dude brought up a lot of good points. I especially liked how he touched on the fact that there weren't any Afghans in the entire game, despite the fact that the Soviets were at war with them. And since Big Boss was a mercenary for hire, he should've had the opportunity to pick and choose sides to fan the flames of perpetual conflict. He's in a PMC after all, and his main goal should've been profit above anything else. I think that would've showed him more like a "demon". But, nah, instead, he's still doing good guy garbage, and it was hilarious that we weren't even playing as him :lol.

This game was a poor man's MGS 2 at best - with no redeeming qualities, whatsoever.

How do you equate it to MGS2? Do you mean the level of hype? I think MGS2 was one of the biggest things to hit gaming and was the only hugely successful game of the series IIRC when it came to sales.

I'm glad there's more like minded people on the net that just didn't blindly praise it. The game was so incredibly flawed to not acknowledge it. Even if we got chapter 3 and that happy horse ****... were still constrained to this boring story that just wasn't necessary to be told in the end. It's a scary thought that to the idiotic fan base, this was a worthy end and this is what is considered the pinnacle of gaming. I think they mention this was a sandbox game just for the sake of it, with no concept on how to make one interesting.

I actually put it on last night. Once again it washed over me how incredibly boring the game was and how dumb the A.I. is. While I did like some things, like the FOB thing... I don't like that you can get invaded while you're not on... but at the same time I understand it. Half my security force got kidnapped and I was invaded 50 times or so since November :lol

He brings up all the BS in the game that hardcore MGSV fans won't admit, including the credibility of the reviews. Good stuff. :lol

I got to where he thinks MGS2 is the best and said it's basically Die Hard. I already like this guy.

He also made a great point that everything is best viewed at a distance, long after it came out. This is pretty much all the guy's points about our love for MGS2. Loved it overall when it came out, but hated Raiden. Now, I completely understand the rationale behind it and appreciate it for the fourth wall breaking since I didn't catch that when I first played it.

This game is a year and a half old, and my opinion hasn't moved, at all.

Last edited:
I got to where he thinks MGS2 is the best and said it's basically Die Hard. I already like this guy.

He also made a great point that everything is best viewed at a distance, long after it came out. This is pretty much all the guy's points about our love for MGS2. Loved it overall when it came out, but hated Raiden. Now, I completely understand the rationale behind it and appreciate it for the fourth wall breaking since I didn't catch that when I first played it.

This game is a year and a half old, and my opinion hasn't moved, at all.

Yup, it's been almost 2 years I think, but I don't see any kind of "delayed appreciation" because this game is just bad.

I remember when first time playing MGS2 where Raiden first took off his mask and I was so mad, I almost kicked the then $500 PS2 (it cost that much here). I was so mad, I took a smoke break, cursing the game because I literally starved myself half to death to afford a PS2 just to play the game. At least by the time the credits rolled, I saw that the whole twist was an experimental mind F and kinda warmed up to it.

I shudder to think if I was at the same financial predicament going into MGSV, because the amount of disappointment would have snapped me in two.

I hate to sound mean, but there is indeed a a camp that does not think MGSV is worthy of a MGS game, and Kojima has to answer for that (Or at least I wished he would) instead of his loyal fanbase doing the talking for him.

I finished it. He hits all the points he should. One thing that stuck out that he said. "Is this a Metal Gear game?" No. No it wasn't.

Yup, it's been almost 2 years I think, but I don't see any kind of "delayed appreciation" because this game is just bad.

I remember when first time playing MGS2 where Raiden first took off his mask and I was so mad, I almost kicked the then $500 PS2 (it cost that much here). I was so mad, I took a smoke break, cursing the game because I literally starved myself half to death to afford a PS2 just to play the game. At least by the time the credits rolled, I saw that the whole twist was an experimental mind F and kinda warmed up to it.

I shudder to think if I was at the same financial predicament going into MGSV, because the amount of disappointment would have snapped me in two.

The game made money, but that's it's only claim to success. I don't know how there's any dudebros left that don't acknowledge how much of a brain fart it was.

I finished it. He hits all the points he should. One thing that stuck out that he said. "Is this a Metal Gear game?" No. No it wasn't.

I think it's been tossed around here before, but it's evident that a lot of changes to the gameplay and story came too little to late for being the last game in the series. There was no need to make it open world with drive-able vehicles, iDroid and all those nonsense. There was no need to have 90:10 gameplay/cutscene ratio either. Stick to the hospital scene styled gameplay, mixed with some resemblance of an open world and you'll get a more fulfilling game. Admittedly, MGS4 was pretty much a great modernization of the series, as much as I don't like the game today. :lol

Back