Media Metal Gear Solid Discussion Thread (NO FIGURES /CUSTOMS JUST GAMES) SPOILERS

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
original.jpg

Haha brilliant comic Ryan. Solidus brought up an interesting topic: Anti-aliasing. I thought one of the reasons for higher resolutions like 1080p was to eliminate aliasing.
Why is it still a large problem even this generation?

Haha brilliant comic Ryan. Solidus brought up an interesting topic: Anti-aliasing. I thought one of the reasons for higher resolutions like 1080p was to eliminate aliasing.
Why is it still a large problem even this generation?

Oh man, I don't think I'm the most knowledgeable person on the subject but if I were to give my two cents on it- I think the AA in PS4 games is vastly improved compared to the PS3 and yes, the native 1080p image indeed helps a lot. At least at this point, I don't seem to be bugged by aliasing on the games I've played on PS4 so far. Of course PC will always offer superior AA but I'm happy with what I'm seeing.

I remember the aliasing in The Last of Us on PS3 being really, really bad. It was a non-issue in the remaster.

From what I've seen in trailers, it doesn't appear as if the PS4 has any anti-aliasing, whatsoever :lol. The higher-resolution textures will help to mitigate the appearance of "jaggies" (by including a lot more "jaggies"), but they're still noticeably there. The games certainly don't look bad. But, needless to say, I wasn't exceedingly impressed by the MGS V demo, or even the Assassin's Creed Unity videos I've seen. I guess I'm just saying this, after coming from the PC. I can't comment on TLOUR, as I haven't played it as yet. But, I'll take Ryan's word that it looks absolutely gorgeous, and is a necessary upgrade from the PS3 version.

Killzone had minimal jaggies (it's still the best looking game this gen). But they were still there

I've yet to buy TLOUR since I got it on PS3. The order also looked like a jaggie-less game

I picked up a PSV and MGSHD to keep me occupied while trainning and holy crap! This may be my preferred way to play MGS2. I'm not sure if you could do this in the PS3 version but being able to skip the scenes like when Peter Stillman gives you a brief on how to freeze the bomb and all you could do was look around the room. Or the scene where you ease drop on Solidus and Ocelot with the direct mic after talking with Ames. Only real gripe is with the goatees on those Marines at the beginning.

I picked up a PSV and MGSHD to keep me occupied while trainning and holy crap! This may be my preferred way to play MGS2. I'm not sure if you could do this in the PS3 version but being able to skip the scenes like when Peter Stillman gives you a brief on how to freeze the bomb and all you could do was look around the room. Or the scene where you ease drop on Solidus and Ocelot with the direct mic after talking with Ames. Only real gripe is with the goatees on those Marines at the beginning.

Yeah you could do that with the console versions as well. I always wanted to play MGS1-3 on the go and this is as good as it gets. I love that you have digital controls for the aiming as well, far less frustrating than on PS3. :(

Posted here to make use of this lonely thread :lol

And maybe since he's still continuing the series, it would have been strange to pull snake immediately out of retirement, following his "final mission" from MGS 4. Personally, all of the Big Boss tie-ins have made me appreciate Snake all the more. I just wonder if we should expect any more Solid Snake games, especially since Kojima said that he isn't finished with the character as yet.
Same for me, he's way more mysterious than BB at this point.

Yup, he has to allow himself some time before making the remakes since that's Snake's only possible portrayals left to do, in the meanwhile, he has to make some BB games.

And probably Konami doesn't care as long as the MGS cow keeps getting them money.

:lol Oh stop it you

814474319916859685.gif

I'll have to read all the posts tomorrow, seems like there's good stuff there.

Might not be the newest thing, but I just learned this the other day upon reading some manga.

View attachment 150693

'Kuwabara' 「桑原」means 'mulberry field' in Japanese. There's varying accounts as to the origin of the phrase, one being that it derives from an ancient Chinese legend about mulberry trees never being hit by lightning.

Continuing from the collectibles thread -

You're confusing Snake's general view on life about propagating the species through cultural and social influences, with a war manifesto :lol. That entire monologue in MGS 2 alluded to the social themes and memes that Kojima had placed inside of MGS 2, and it served simply as a concluding statement to finalize the overall discourse of the game.

Snake never had notions of "loyalty to the end", or fighting for cause that was greater than himself, unlike The Boss. He was highly apathetic about the world, aside from his personal war against Big Boss and Liquid (which included his work in Philanthropy to rid the world of Metal Gears). He even told Olga, "I'm a nomad, too" - which referenced the way he lived his life on the fringe, away from governments, and away from the rule of law and society.

I'll concede that Snake's final monologue doesn't necessarily speak of his mentality towards ridding the world of BB's mistake, but Snake's convictions still doesn't contradict what I was saying with regards to how he embodied The Boss's will. "Loyalty to the end" was never as simple as your putting it. It's the very reason why BB felt so conflicted about what The Boss meant by it because her sense of "loyalty" isn't just about one's loyalty to their country, but their loyalty to their own beliefs (she practically posited loyalty as having different sides by questioning where Big Boss's loyalty lies). The Boss believed that being a soldier meant being loyal to their country, but that also means depriving one's self of a normal life. That was something that she didn't want for BB for all the signs and warnings she'd given to him, and yet Snake of all people embodied that will more than anyone else.

Like you said, Snake simply lived by his own moral code, be it right or wrong he simply fought for what he believed in (mild paraphrasing of Gray Fox here). And that's exactly the whole point of Big Boss's final words towards Snake, Snake DOESN'T have to fight for the mess that his "father" made, yet the fact that he stayed true to himself without falling into the same trappings as Liquid and Solidus is what makes his character so admirable in actually embodying The Boss's dying wish. It's why I never viewed Snake as the seeming "villain" of the story because for all of Big Boss' good intentions he still majorly screwed up along the way to warrant the sort of defeat he received from Snake. Sure, Snake played into the hands of The Patriots a number of times, but through his connections with everyone (and even Ocelot's assistance), he was able to overcome the problems that Big Boss never really solved.

And maybe since he's still continuing the series, it would have been strange to pull snake immediately out of retirement, following his "final mission" from MGS 4. Personally, all of the Big Boss tie-ins have made me appreciate Snake all the more. I just wonder if we should expect any more Solid Snake games, especially since Kojima said that he isn't finished with the character as yet.

Funnily enough, Big Boss (in MGS3) used to be my most favorite "Snake", but all the continuous prequels sort of made me realize the good that Solid Snake has done and it's definitely looked better throughout the years. I do think that Kojima simply loves Big Boss because of the whole hero/villain duality to the character than anything else really. He's literally the Anakin/Vader of MGS. :lol

Back