Media Metal Gear Solid Discussion Thread (NO FIGURES /CUSTOMS JUST GAMES) SPOILERS

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
10 years ago today we lost a true patriot.

RIP President Sears

Oh and this
6WgfQnm.jpg

These guys NEVER tease anything game related. They're not involved or high level enough to do anything like that

Always wait to hear from the actual developers or publishers to tease anything

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seems like some high-resolution texture packs got released for the HD Collection. I'm honestly not a big fan of these, since AI upscaling tends to be brute-force - causing lighting, environmental effects, and low-res textures to suffer in the process of upscaling. The original HD Collection from BluePoint already had its share of these problems and that was even without the use of AI.

https://wccftech.com/metal-gear-solid-master-collection-hd-texture-packs/

anyone has both original 1 & 2 and also new master collection care to tell the differences between the original release vs new?

i understand the pc mgs1 requires patch to play on modern os and graphic kinda bad but iirc 2 was kinda on par with konami silent hill 2 & 3 releases on pc which offered high resolution files. and of course 3 made it's debut on oc the first time but how does it fair against ps3 emulation with enhancements?

Didn't know there's a MGS Series Thread. I'm going trough all of them on Steam right now and I forgot how awesome (and dumb) the series is.
anyone has both original 1 & 2 and also new master collection care to tell the differences between the original release vs new?

i understand the pc mgs1 requires patch to play on modern os and graphic kinda bad but iirc 2 was kinda on par with konami silent hill 2 & 3 releases on pc which offered high resolution files. and of course 3 made it's debut on oc the first time but how does it fair against ps3 emulation with enhancements?
If you mean the original MGS1 and 2 on PC, avoid those as all cost as they're fundamentally broken, even with mods. Plenty of missing effects, imbalance audio and just the general hassle to get them up and running.

The Master Collection is serviceable at best in it's current state. MGS1, while far better than the PC port, is pretty blurry due to the bilinear filter they're using and I hope they'll address this with a patch. Currently the best way to play MGS1 on PC is still Duckstation.

MGS2 and 3 are the best performing ones as they lock in a rock solid 60fps (unless you're on Switch) and comes with some minor improvements such as faster loading times, better Codec load times and they've fixed some minor issues from the HD collection such as the MGS2 logo at during the intro now is proportionate in size to the PS2 version and the stuttering audio from MGS3 is gone.

However there are some drawbacks-- anisotropic filtering is gone meaning textures look blurrier at certain angles (easily fixable if you're on PC) and the dynamic range of the audio in both games are quite bad. Both MGS2 and 3 are also locked at 720p and the only reason they don't look Hideous Kojima is because the art and asset are so good.

If you already have the PS2/PS3/360 versions hooked up I see no reason to get the Master Collection. Personally I wanted to have MGS on the go, but I could never get them to run perfectly on the Steam Deck so the collection suits my needs. Konami are still working on fixing these issues so who knows, with time this might be the definitive way to play the games.

Didn't know there's a MGS Series Thread. I'm going trough all of them on Steam right now and I forgot how awesome (and dumb) the series is.

If you mean the original MGS1 and 2 on PC, avoid those as all cost as they're fundamentally broken, even with mods. Plenty of missing effects, imbalance audio and just the general hassle to get them up and running.

The Master Collection is serviceable at best in it's current state. MGS1, while far better than the PC port, is pretty blurry due to the bilinear filter they're using and I hope they'll address this with a patch. Currently the best way to play MGS1 on PC is still Duckstation.

MGS2 and 3 are the best performing ones as they lock in a rock solid 60fps (unless you're on Switch) and comes with some minor improvements such as faster loading times, better Codec load times and they've fixed some minor issues from the HD collection such as the MGS2 logo at during the intro now is proportionate in size to the PS2 version and the stuttering audio from MGS3 is gone.

However there are some drawbacks-- anisotropic filtering is gone meaning textures look blurrier at certain angles (easily fixable if you're on PC) and the dynamic range of the audio in both games are quite bad. Both MGS2 and 3 are also locked at 720p and the only reason they don't look Hideous Kojima is because the art and asset are so good.

If you already have the PS2/PS3/360 versions hooked up I see no reason to get the Master Collection. Personally I wanted to have MGS on the go, but I could never get them to run perfectly on the Steam Deck so the collection suits my needs. Konami are still working on fixing these issues so who knows, with time this might be the definitive way to play the games.
what is the best way to play 2 legit or not. master collection, ps3 hd on emulation with boosted graphics, ps2 on emulation or the dreaded but direct PC port?

what is the best way to play 2 legit or not. master collection, ps3 hd on emulation with boosted graphics, ps2 on emulation or the dreaded but direct PC port?

I'm not an expert, but I'm assuming you'll be using RPCS3 and PCSX2 for PS2? I'm glad RPCS3 exists but it has never been easy to emulate PS3 games cos of the PS3 hardware so RPCS3 can be a buggy experience (or maybe not - I guess it would depend on the game you're emulating). I'd probably say PCSX2 is more reliable and better, plus you can get HD texture packs to make the textures look good... so maybe that's the way to go.

Orrr.... you could get a PS2, a CRT TV/ retrotink and play it that way for an authentic experience! ;)

Back