Marvel and Netflix Team on Four Series Leading Up to The Defenders!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
These shows sound good yo me but when I heard the news last month that four shows where going to be developed I was sure that one of them was going to be a shields origin show featuring Peggy Carter. I am wondering if they will throw this story line into agents of shield instead as a one off in the middle of the series with no relevance to any present day story line.

I could see the same argument being made as to why Batman shouldn't be part of the JLA universe. What good is a really smart guy when you have a man who can destroy the moon with his fist? You could say "they need a brilliant strategist!" but being honest, that's just a creative excuse for sticking a really popular, albeit non-super-powered character in the room with god-like characters.

There are different kinds of problems that face the world. Not all of them are space aliens or Scandinavian gods. Marvel comics understood this from the get-go, by having guys like Daredevil and Spider-Man exist in the same "universe" as your Fantastic Fours and Avengers. It would give the Marvel U depth to explore these different kinds of characters and the problems they would face. They certainly wouldn't be irrelevant or unneeded in a world where there are also super-powered freaks who fight for the survival of the planet as a whole. There are still problems of less fantastic crime and injustice that need to be faced. Organized crime is the most obvious suspect, though there are also other kinds of threats that can't be beat with sheer force. Daredevil and the Defenders both had their fair share of run-ins with Mephisto.

I was mainly thinking of the characters like The Punisher and Blade, if they ever got to them. How are guys who are seemingly mass murderers going to co-exist with guys like Thor and Cap. If they got to be too much of a threat, SHIELD would just take them out.:dunno

I just think that, so long as they're co-existing with the characters from The Avengers, there are going to be restrictions on just how far the characters can go. You're not going to have a realistic depiction of mobsters and street criminals in the same universe as Disney's family friendly all-stars. Hell, there's a part of me that wants this to be a "Marvel Knights" sub-universe, if you will. One where all of the grittier characters are connected, but in a different universe than the main MCU.

I was mainly thinking of the characters like The Punisher and Blade, if they ever got to them. How are guys who are seemingly mass murderers going to co-exist with guys like Thor and Cap. If they got to be too much of a threat, SHIELD would just take them out.:dunno

I just think that, so long as they're co-existing with the characters from The Avengers, there are going to be restrictions on just how far the characters can go. You're not going to have a realistic depiction of mobsters and street criminals in the same universe as Disney's family friendly all-stars. Hell, there's a part of me that wants this to be a "Marvel Knights" sub-universe, if you will. One where all of the grittier characters are connected, but in a different universe than the main MCU.
They exist in the same universe as the Avengers in the comics just fine, so I don't see why it should be any different here. Chances are they will deal with fundamentally different threats in different places using different approaches. The writers don't have to have SHIELD and Thor or whatever getting involved with a dispute Daredevil and Heroes for Hire have with the drug trade in New York or anything.

They exist in the same universe as the Avengers in the comics just fine, so I don't see why it should be any different here. Chances are they will deal with fundamentally different threats in different places using different approaches. The writers don't have to have SHIELD and Thor or whatever getting involved with a dispute Daredevil and Heroes for Hire have with the drug trade in New York or anything.

Again, though; Studio interference. Will Disney allow The Punisher to blow people's heads off if he exists in the same universe as Captain America (and, thus, means kids potentially trying to watch it because it's set in the same universe)?

Punisher please.

Agree. See post above.

Is a Punisher film going to carry the Disney card? No. Touchstone puts out R rated films so Disney can keep it's family friendly image. Disney also owned Miramax for a time and put out a ton of "Hard R" films including several "Halloween" films.

Universal obviously has a vastly different contract than Fox or Sony or Namor would be back with Marvel by now. Besides announcing that they are changing directors about every 5th year have they ever announced anything else about a SubMariner movie?

Again, though; Studio interference. Will Disney allow The Punisher to blow people's heads off if he exists in the same universe as Captain America (and, thus, means kids potentially trying to watch it because it's set in the same universe)?

Agree. See post above.

Hey, if Disney allowed Lady Sif to arrive naked to a movie premiere where kids were present to cheer on their favorite comic book hero, they better allow the Punisher to do his thing. :rotfl

I'm not sure why the logical extension of this is that Punisher is involved. I've heard nothing about Punisher being involved in these series. But if Punisher was involved somewhere I'm sure he would be treated as a vigilante psychpath as he is in the comics. Having said that, he could surely exist in the same universe that has Nazi superhumans, Cold War assassins, and genocidal, death-obsessed aliens. Like Kamandi says, just because Disney owns the franchise doesn't necessarily mean anything. Keep in mind that the most popular Marvel character they have is a borderline alcoholic womanizer.

Punisher please.

**** to the NO! There was already a treatment for a Punisher tv series where he's a detective during the daytime and moonlights as the Punisher at night, catching and bringing in crooks. :nono

No. That would be the natural thing to expect but Kevin Feige said in an interview a few months ago the rights are held by Universal.

THAT is a ****ing headscratcher. :lol

I'm not sure why the logical extension of this is that Punisher is involved. I've heard nothing about Punisher being involved in these series. But if Punisher was involved somewhere I'm sure he would be treated as a vigilante psychpath as he is in the comics. Having said that, he could surely exist in the same universe that has Nazi superhumans, Cold War assassins, and genocidal, death-obsessed aliens. Like Kamandi says, just because Disney owns the franchise doesn't necessarily mean anything. Keep in mind that the most popular Marvel character they have is a borderline alcoholic womanizer.

The logical extension is regarding Daredevil and all of these characters existing in a "gritty Hell's Kitchen." Punisher seems like he would fit in with them best. Again, it was just an idea I had. If they can get it to work in the same universe, more power to them, but I don't want them to water the characters down because of the MCU films was what I was getting at.

Last edited:
The logical extension is regarding Daredevil and all of these characters existing in a "gritty Hell's Kitchen." Punisher seems like he would fit in with them best. Again, it was just an idea I had. If they can get it to work in the same universe, more power to them, but I don't want them to water te characters down because of the MCU films was what I was getting at.

Yup, they'd have to do a Marvel Knights or MAX kinda thing for it to work.

If there is another Punisher I think they hit the right tone with the Thomas Jane short. Ray Stevenson is an awesome badass but "Dirty Laundry" was far, far better than "War Zone".

If there is another Punisher I think they hit the right tone with the Thomas Jane short. Ray Stevenson is an awesome badass but "Dirty Laundry" was far, far better than "War Zone".

Just watched Dirty Laundry, always heard about it but never took the time to watch it.

Bad ***!

Yes, better than WZ.

Back