Marvel and Netflix Team on Four Series Leading Up to The Defenders!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wonder why they went with Netflix?

Becuase netflix has more wiggle room to do what they want, and are willing to take chances. they are even looking into reviving stargate universe atm.

Hope they hire some better TV people when they get around to these.

Well, House of Cards is a netflix original "TV Series" and they got Kevin Spacey to star in it, SO I THINK you will be pleased long term.

TV is so much better than the big screen, the only positive of big screen stuff is getting a lot of cash to make it, but that's why they've chosen street level heroes. Look at it this way, we get (roughly) 13 hours of Daredevil, that's the equivalent of nearly seven 2 hour feature films.

My only concern is how they'll approach the characters. For example will we get Kingpin and Bullseye in the Daredevil show? Personally I'd rather see something less focused on super villains. Have them tackle street crime and then maybe have a feature film focusing on a big super villain.

This is awesome news... I'd probably watch all four of these.

Plus, Netflix originals are great... House of Cards, Orange is the New Black and Arrested Development.

TV is so much better than the big screen, the only positive of big screen stuff is getting a lot of cash to make it, but that's why they've chosen street level heroes. Look at it this way, we get (roughly) 13 hours of Daredevil, that's the equivalent of nearly seven 2 hour feature films.

My only concern is how they'll approach the characters. For example will we get Kingpin and Bullseye in the Daredevil show? Personally I'd rather see something less focused on super villains. Have them tackle street crime and then maybe have a feature film focusing on a big super villain.

Too many "street crime" episodes wouldn't work long term. I'd say interspace it. Afterall, Kingpin in a "crime boss" so have him start with taking those on, and have it Escalate. eventualy Kingpin starts to notice a decrease in revenue, and has his "bigger goons" look into it.
so the crooks atart going after Daredevil directly.
They get taken down, he Hires Bullseye to kill him, etc.
Escalation.

Besides, Taking down wilson fisk is Daredevil's PRIMARY reason for being a hero, AND a lawyer.

This is a Show about comic book characters first and formost. they need to EMBRACE the comic bookyness of it, not hide from it like Warner Brothers tends to do.

Daredevil being a Marvel equivalent of Law & Order with Murdock presenting and losing the case in the first half and Daredevil hunting them down the second half doesn't have much longevity.

While I like the idea, these don't have lasting appeal or staying power. Jesus to be in the room with the people making these decisions.

From what I've been reading, they're all basically mini-series's leading into a TV movie (or another mini-series I guess). They're not looking to run Daredevil: The Show for 8 seasons ('ratings' pending I imagine..).

They seem to have a very finite idea in mind. Which makes the way they were shopping them around as 60 hrs of TV make a little more sense.

Agree. People think AoS is a snorefest? that would be TERRIBLE.

Yeah. Daredevil is best condensed into a 90/120min movie.

From what I've been reading, they're all basically mini-series's leading into a TV movie (or another mini-series I guess). They're not looking to run Daredevil: The Show for 8 seasons ('ratings' pending I imagine..).

They seem to have a very finite idea in mind. Which makes the way they were shopping them around as 60 hrs of TV make a little more sense.

Look at shows like SoA and Under the Dome. Neither was intended to run as long as they have (Under the Dome was supposed to be a miniseries). SoA is suffering and no doubt Under the Dome will be dreadful. If the show is successful and makes money, they'll option another season.

This is great news. Thinking about it makes me really want a Deadpool TV series instead of a film. Ryan Reynolds is box office poison....but perhaps he can succeeded better by coming back to TV.

This is great news. Thinking about it makes me really want a Deadpool TV series instead of a film. Ryan Reynolds is box office poison....but perhaps he can succeeded better by coming back to TV.

Ryan-Reynolds-confused.gif

Am I the only one who would like these to be period pieces? It would be a good way to integrate them into the actual MCU without tones interfering. 1980's NYC, high crime rates; a group of individuals who are tired of it decide to do something about it. As time passes, they fade away, and all that's left is a vague remembrance of the "vigilantes of Hell's Kitchen."

There's really nothing particularly "super" about them. Daredevil's blind, but no one could tell by looking at him, Luke Cage is bulletproof, but good luck proving that, Iron Fist's basically a really good martial artist, and Jessica Jones has super strength and is capable of flight, but the 1980's wasn't exactly the Information Age that we are currently in, and I can see her achieving Weekly World News status at best.

Point is, they could justify why these heroes didn't have the cultural impact that The Avengers did, and you could even set up a Punisher tie-in, as well.

I read about this...I only know who Daredevil is. The other three...??? :huh:

I think Marvel and Disney are putting out feelers for predicting the future big money movie hero/team franchchise blockbuster. This would be the best way to do that since they wouldnt have to jump thru hoops at the regular networks when Netflix has welcomed them with open arms....jmo.

Luke Cage and Iron Fist were a duo known as "The Heroes for Hire" back in the 70's. Cage is super-strong and impervious to physical pain and damage, and Iron Fist is a martial artist named Danny Rand, who, I believe, has some sort of energy based power. Jessica Jones is Luke Cage's wife, and she has super-strength and can fly.

I read about this...I only know who Daredevil is. The other three...??? :huh:

I think Marvel and Disney are putting out feelers for predicting the future big money movie hero/team franchchise blockbuster. This would be the best way to do that since they wouldnt have to jump thru hoops at the regular networks when Netflix has welcomed them with open arms....jmo.

7-19DETROITRAWDEFENDERS1FNVF.JPG

I know they'll lead up to a Defenders miniseries in name only, but I'm curious how they're even going to make that work, given at least the other stuff has links to their comic lineages.

Am I the only one who would like these to be period pieces? It would be a good way to integrate them into the actual MCU without tones interfering. 1980's NYC, high crime rates; a group of individuals who are tired of it decide to do something about it. As time passes, they fade away, and all that's left is a vague remembrance of the "vigilantes of Hell's Kitchen."

There's really nothing particularly "super" about them. Daredevil's blind, but no one could tell by looking at him, Luke Cage is bulletproof, but good luck proving that, Iron Fist's basically a really good martial artist, and Jessica Jones has super strength and is capable of flight, but the 1980's wasn't exactly the Information Age that we are currently in, and I can see her achieving Weekly World News status at best.

Point is, they could justify why these heroes didn't have the cultural impact that The Avengers did, and you could even set up a Punisher tie-in, as well.

I like this idea.

I could see the same argument being made as to why Batman shouldn't be part of the JLA universe. What good is a really smart guy when you have a man who can destroy the moon with his fist? You could say "they need a brilliant strategist!" but being honest, that's just a creative excuse for sticking a really popular, albeit non-super-powered character in the room with god-like characters.

There are different kinds of problems that face the world. Not all of them are space aliens or Scandinavian gods. Marvel comics understood this from the get-go, by having guys like Daredevil and Spider-Man exist in the same "universe" as your Fantastic Fours and Avengers. It would give the Marvel U depth to explore these different kinds of characters and the problems they would face. They certainly wouldn't be irrelevant or unneeded in a world where there are also super-powered freaks who fight for the survival of the planet as a whole. There are still problems of less fantastic crime and injustice that need to be faced. Organized crime is the most obvious suspect, though there are also other kinds of threats that can't be beat with sheer force. Daredevil and the Defenders both had their fair share of run-ins with Mephisto.

Back