Mark Antony and Cleopatra Tomb Found!?!?!?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The discovery of King Tut's tomb was so remarkable not because of who he was, but because it was unplundered in antiquity. Even if they find the tombs and prove they're Marc and Cleo, it's unlikely they'd be as spectacularly rich as Tut's tomb.

You may have a point there Dave
Damn those Tomb robbers, disturbing the Dead, but I suppose in some situations some of the Grave robbers were so poor that they needed to sell off some of the Deceased Treasures to keep food in their stomachs

Here's another one of her (younger than the other one) that fits more into Martinez's description. I think she's a lot more attractive than she's given credit for.

picture.php

Here's another one of her (younger than the other one) that fits more into Martinez's description. I think she's a lot more attractive than she's given credit for.

picture.php

Yea me too
And although I have read in Plutarch's work that both Julius Caesar and Mark Antony fell in love with her for her inner beauty or something like that I doubt she was an ugly women

Bust of Mark Antony

Marcus_Antonius1.jpg

Bust of Cleopatra

Cleopatra_Bust.jpg

Though it must be said that there has been debate over the years whether Cleo was a beautiful Queen of Egypt or the Ugly Spawn of a Harpy, but that leads me to think why would Antony want to get with something that hideous? Who knows, did he have own agenda to Secure Power for himself in Egypt? But I don't think she would of been ugly, she was most likely beautiful Antony fell head over heels for her and thus set of a chain of events for the doomed lovers

Well, maybe Mark Antony wasn't a looker either. At least that bust suggests that. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. And back then I'm sure they looked at women differently than we do now.

Love Archaeology, I prolly would pursue a career in it if I didn't love computers and bodybuilding.

I majored in archaeology and while it was VERY fun to study it, the truth of the matter is that most archaeologists do not have very 'romantic' time of it. One of my profs for instance had spent 30 years studying burned rocks (basically trash) in Texas. He was so burned out (pun not really intended) it was sad. The others weren't able to go out on ANY digs anymore - just teach and write. Made me think twice. Unless you have lot of money to sink into it and go to the cool places (or are REALLY good at raising money), it's very difficult to get a 'cool' job. Even just a 6-week dig in Italy during school cost over $10,000 to participate in - and that was partly funded by the university. Sadly, most of it ends up being paperwork and begging for money and cutting through red tape these days :( The late 19th, early 20th centuries were the golden age for archaeology.

Anyway, not trying to be a downer - just trying to cheer you up for not becoming an archaeologist :lol

Still love to read about it a lot (I think it's probably, like all jobs, more fun to read about from the outside!) - and this is an awesome find if it truly is the tomb of Cleo and Marc - it's what all archaeologists dream about!

Well, maybe Mark Antony wasn't a looker either. At least that bust suggests that. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. And back then I'm sure they looked at women differently than we do now.

Well Plutarch described Mark as someone reminiscent of Hercules on his looks alone
So I doubt he was an ugly bugger but you never know???

Plutarch: "For her beauty, as we are told, was in itself not altogether incomparable, nor such as to strike those who saw her".

Not that he ever met her.

I majored in archaeology and while it was VERY fun to study it, the truth of the matter is that most archaeologists do not have very 'romantic' time of it. One of my profs for instance had spent 30 years studying burned rocks (basically trash) in Texas. He was so burned out (pun not really intended) it was sad. The others weren't able to go out on ANY digs anymore - just teach and write. Made me think twice. Unless you have lot of money to sink into it and go to the cool places (or are REALLY good at raising money), it's very difficult to get a 'cool' job. Even just a 6-week dig in Italy during school cost over $10,000 to participate in - and that was partly funded by the university. Sadly, most of it ends up being paperwork and begging for money and cutting through red tape these days :( The late 19th, early 20th centuries were the golden age for archaeology.

Anyway, not trying to be a downer - just trying to cheer you up for not becoming an archaeologist :lol

Still love to read about it a lot (I think it's probably, like all jobs, more fun to read about from the outside!) - and this is an awesome find if it truly is the tomb of Cleo and Marc - it's what all archaeologists dream about!

You mean to tell me that a leather jacket, fedora and a whip AREN'T standard issue??? LAME.

Plutarch: "For her beauty, as we are told, was in itself not altogether incomparable, nor such as to strike those who saw her".

Not that he ever met her.

Not that he met hardly any of those he was writing about, Herakles, Theseus, Phillip, Pompey, Cato, Caesar, Brutus, Antony, Augustus, to name a few

Back