Man Thing Commiquette - Pics and Discussion

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Batman29

Super Freak
CF Supporter
Reaction score
I was going to post this in the thread titled “Man Thing Comiquette - epic cancellations?”, and then I thought a new thread titled “Man Thing Comiquette Pics and Discussion” would be more appropriate since it is clear now that there are no epic cancellations and that there is a true waiting list at Sideshow, and a discussion can focus on the sculpt itself with pics.

Mod, if you feel this in not correct, please put in the proper thread.

A fantastic sculpt, in particular when the eyes light up. This is a necessary feature IMO. Be careful taking it out of the box, there are some fragile ends to it!

I would have liked his head to be a bit higher so the eyes would be more visible from a lower shelf. As a result, to really appreciate this piece it needs to find a shelf that is from just below eye level or above when viewing.

This piece may have also easily have passed for a Premium Format. Why? Because the sculpt has strawlike hair, which represents the hair like vegtable matter, growing out of his body (thanks to Kinky Queen who posted an awesome bio of Man Thing, I am hoping he will repost this here in this thread). Sideshow did not forget to put this on, and you can see in the close up photograph that these hairlike vegtable strands are there. Awesome job Sideshow to pay close attention to a detail that could have been so easily overlooked.

I wish it was a bit heavier, but it doesn't matter when one looks at it it looks heavy, lol.

I like how the legs dig deep in the base, giving it truly a feel that it is in the swamp. Maybe what could have been done here was having one foot out of the swamp, say like it was coming on land, and the other still in the swamp, that might have been a nice option.

Overall, really pleased with it. IMO, if one considers the feet in the swamp, I would consider this 1/4 scale, you can get an idea of the size by looking at the pic with the Hulk next to it.

AWESOME job Sideshow.

NOTE: This is posted in another forum.

Last edited:
SSMan-ThingCom062001.jpg

SSMan-ThingCom062002.jpg

SSMan-ThingCom062003.jpg

SSMan-ThingCom062004.jpg

Lights off on this pic, pretty good sculpt, but look at how much improved the lights are in the next pic.

SSMan-ThingCom062005.jpg

Lights on, just gives the sculpt a more lifelike look.

SSMan-ThingCom062006.jpg

SSMan-ThingCom062007.jpg

SSMan-ThingCom062008.jpg

SSMan-ThingCom062009.jpg

SSMan-ThingCom062010.jpg

manthing.gif

Occupation: Former scientist; currently guardian of the nexus of realities
Identity: The Man-Thing's existence is publicly known, but widely disbelieved; very few people know that the Man-Thing was Ted Sallis
Legal Status: Citizen of the United States; presumed dead
Former Aliases: None
Place of Birth: Omaha, Nebraska
Marital Status: Married
Known Relatives: Ellen (wife)
Group Affiliation: None
Base of Operations: The swamp that surrounds the nexus of realities, near Citrusvilla, Florida
First Appearance: SAVAGE TALES (1st series) #1 (1971)

History: Ted Sallis first came to prominence in government circles as the chief chemist working on "Project Sulfur," a U.S. Army research program aimed at developing a means to survive bio-chemical warfare. Sallis developed "Serum SO-2,' which would have succeeded in immunizing human beings to all toxic biochemicals, but the mutagenic effects of the serum would have transformed people into monsters. The serum was never put into production.

After Project Sulfur was shut down, Sallis was reassigned to "Project Gladiator," a research program under the auspices of S.H.I.E.L.D., which was aimed at recreating the lost "super-soldier" serum that had spawned Captain America during World War II. Working separately from his colleagues, who included Drs. Wilma Calvin and Barbara Morse (later to be known as Mockingbird), Sallis evidently attempted to use a modified version of his SO-2 formula as the basis for a new super-soldier serum. He was close to success when he was betrayed into the hands of the subversive Advanced Idea Mechanics by his wife, Ellen.

Perhaps already suspecting betrayal, Sallis had earlier destroyed his notes. To guarantee that the secret would not fall into AIM's hands, Sallis injected himself with the only existing sample of his modified Super Soldier serum, and fled into the nearby swamp. Sallis should have died, but over the course of several hours, mystical forces combined with chemical science to transform him into the monstrous, misshapen creature who would be dubbed the Man-Thing. The substance of Sallis's body was eaten away and replaced by vegetable matter. Though he mimics the form of humanity to a large extent, he can no longer be considered human. Though he retains Ted Sallis's soul, and rudimentary vestiges of Sallis's intellect, he cannot be said to be intelligent in any meaningful sense.

Since the time of his creation, the Man-Thing has served as the guardian of the "nexus of realities," an interdimensional focal point which has manifested itself in the middle of the Man-Thing's swamp. Though the Man-Thing's adventures have occasionally drawn him away from the swamp, he has always returned, and it is said that he is destined to remain the guardian of the nexus on this plane of existence for as long as the nexus continues to manifest itself in this reality.

Height: 7 ft.
Weight: Approximately 500 lbs.
Eyes: Red
Hair: None, though hair-like strands of vegetable matter can be seen growing over most of his body.
Unusual Features: The Man-Thing is a living, semi-sentient creature patterned after the form of a human being, and mimicking many of the functions of the human body, but composed of vegetable, not animal matter. He has two large, red, lidless eyes, but no mouth or nose. He has no ears, but has some sort of rudimentary hearing apparatus located in what passes for his "forehead." His body is composed of pockets of algae, moss, and fibrous weeds held together by a network of animated tough and starchy roots which follow the basic structural pattern of human bone and muscle. Extremities of this root hang from the front of his head to form the characteristic features of his "face." His hands and feet are claw-like. He walks slowly and awkwardly. The bacterial colonies which are imbedded within his body, and which provide him with his nutrient-processing system, give off a strong, rotting smell.

Strength Level: The Man-Thing is superhumanly strong, capable of lifting (pressing) at least 1000 lbs.

Known Superhuman Powers: The Man-Thing is almost invulnerable to harm. Because his body is not entirely solid, but made of porous muck, fists or bullets will either pass entirely through him or lodge harmlessly in his body. Even were a significant portion of his mass to be stripped away or pulverized, his body would reorganize itself and, draw new material as needed form the substance of the surrounding swamp.

Due to the nature of the Man-Thing's body, he is capable of oozing through or around openings or barriers that would otherwise seem too small for him to pass. He has gone through wire mesh and past steel bars. The smaller the actual physical opening, however, the longer it takes him to re-organize his mass on the opposite side.

The Man-Thing is sensitive to emotion. Psychic forces react in some unknown manner with the "brain" cells that are located throughout the Man-Thing's body. Mild emotions arouse "curiosity," and lead the Man-Thing to "observe" events from a distance. Violent emotions, such as fear, anger, and hatred, cause him extreme discomfort, and may provoke him to attack. When the Man-Thing is provoked to violence, he excretes fuming sulfuric acid, while in the absence of violent emotion he produces a soapy mucus that will neutralize the acid.

Weaknesses: During the first few months of his existence, the Man-Thing depended totally on the swamp environment to sustain himself, drawing nutrients directly from immersion in the swamp water. Later, after undergoing a tremendous chemical shock in the Citrusville sewage treatment plant, his body adapted into more of a self-contained biological system. Although he still weakens, and would eventually lapse into dormancy if removed from his swamp for an extended period of time, he now weakens only slowly, and will recover quickly if exposed to moisture.

The Man-Thing also seems to "remember" emotional patterns, which leads him to "recognize" people he's met before. But there is evidently a limit to the number of emotional patterns he remembers, and he will periodically lapse into a state of total immobility until his "brain cells" purge themselves of their excess of remembered data.

Masterpieces !!!!!

Shai, I know what you mean, I feel the same way. I think it should have had a bit more weight to it, but heh, easier on the wall when displaying. I am happy about the fact it is in the 1/4 scale range to fit with the other PF ... and with the vegetable hairs on it, that I swear I think SS used real straw for, it can pass into PF territory.

... and according to Kinky's bio of the Man-thing that he most graciously posted again, the height of this in 1:1 is 7 ft, with the sculpt measuring 20 inches high, and his feet in the swamp, it works out pretty darn close to 1:4.

this is soooo badass it isn't even funny anymore!!!

I know what you mean, this is why I started a new thread. IMO it is no longer even a discussion about whether it is going to have massive cancellations, or that there will be stock forever, etc.

It's time to discuss the sculpt, and the character.

Kinky, THANKS A TON for reposting the bio on the Man-Thing.

I stuck by this from the beginning, I think it looked great then and looks fantastic now..I am dying to get mine...but alas I must wait 3 months. :(

Thank you for posting those pics Batman29. Now we can really appreciate how detailed this piece is...AWESOME!

thanks for the great pics batguy:naughty contacted lcs and it looks like mine won't be in till next year.:monkey2 glad to hear though that i won't be disappointed:D

at least some high resolution pics...i must agree with shai....
MASTERPIECE
:rock:rock

beautiful piece ... I am a failure for not having one on the way :(

Back