Man of Steel Sequel - TBD

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As long as I can get a positive, uplifting version of Superman this time I don't really care who directs it. I've had enough moping and inner turmoil.

As long as I can get a positive, uplifting version of Superman this time I don't really care who directs it. I've had enough moping and inner turmoil.

Oh brother.

Why can't Superman have conflict? What's wrong with giving him some pathos so he's not just a smiling idiot with super powers?

I'll never understand this absurd complaint against Snyder's Supes. While Steve Rogers is stuck yelling "Language!" over at the MCU, Clark is saying "I don't care [about what people think].".

MOS & BvS paint the picture of a real Superman.

Oh brother.

Why can't Superman have conflict? What's wrong with giving him some pathos so he's not just a smiling idiot with super powers?

I'll never understand this absurd complaint against Snyder's Supes. While Steve Rogers is stuck yelling "Language!" over at the MCU, Clark is saying "I don't care [about what people think].".

Having a positive outlook doesn't mean he is a smiling idiot. He can--and has had--conflict throughout his history in comics, film, and TV. However, through it all he has always looked for the good in people and himself, had a strength of character that the world and other heroes depend on, and prevailed because he doesn't quit fighting for what's right. Anyone who has even minimal knowledge of the character understands that. The people behind the new films can take their Nolanesque "real" portrayal of Superman and shove it up their asses. They're doing a disservice to the character.

I'd go on, but what's the point? If you don't understand what's wrong with the characterization of Superman in the new films as opposed to his comic history, Superman The Movie, Superman II, and Superman The Animated Series then you don't understand what makes Superman "super"--because they did it right. Read some comics, watch the Reeve films, watch the cartoons, and try to understand what a child understands without having it explained to them.

If you mean "super" as in "swell guy", I'm afraid that doesn't "fly" with modern audiences. Alas that's just the cynical, jaded age we live in.

Returning to the original meaning of "super", Superman is above - better than - man. Therein lies the conflict. Even Reeve's Supes was torn.

Last edited:
Oh brother.

Yeah, no

Oh brother.

You are wrong, yet again like you did with Deadpool you speak of a character you don't know nor understand.

While I don't dislike Snyderman, being sad and grumpy is not the only way to give Superman pathos or conflict, pessimism is not the only way and it's a reductionist view of the entire "human" experience, not just Superman.

Even if Superman is uber positive, always smiling, powerful enough to toll planets or fast enough to travel through them in seconds, he still can have conflicts; emotional, intellectual, interpersonal, social, you know, the kind ANYONE can relate to.

This is what non-fans don't know nor understand whenever they slobber the usual "Superman is boring and too OP".

Snyder didn't "finally make Superman human", that's already been done long ago and repeatedly, they don't call him "more human than human" for nothing, nor did he "make Superman cool".

One of the main differences with Sadman and how it affects his behavior and personality in the DCEU vs Comics, and I'm not saying it's the wrong way to do it, even if it's not popular, is that he doesn't have a support system in the DCEU, Classic Superman does, he still ponders why he came to earth, or where did he come from, from time to time, he does feel lonely from time to time, etc etc, the difference is that he has people that care for him and he can rely on, give him a center instead of fueling his doubts, obviously not physically but emotionally and intellectually, therefore he's not alienated, sad and questioning his place all the time.

MoS and BvS don't paint the picture of a real Superman, they paint a pessimistic picture, which is even in a less realistic spot on which the character can fall, they go out of their way to make him miserable, there's a message there, and I appreciate it, but it's not the only message you can spread with Superman, nor should it be the main one, but merely exploratory.

Last edited:
Oh brother.

Because they love the Reeves version and will not let him go. The very reason Superman comics were not selling is because he was considered out dated big blue boy scout ridiculous over powered . They had to shake things up by killing him which resulted a very popular story arch which I would hope they will use as the basis for this movie and lex luther needs a come back. Beyond the death and return of superman I don't know any other popular story lines and I would prefer Braniac to used in a justice league movie as he was used in the animated version

Because they love the Reeves version and will not let him go. The very reason Superman comics were not selling is because he was considered out dated big blue boy scout ridiculous over powered . They had to shake things up by killing him which resulted a very popular story arch which I would hope they will use as the basis for this movie and lex luther needs a come back. Beyond the death and return of superman I don't know any other popular story lines and I would prefer Braniac to used in a justice league movie as he was used in the animated version

They already pissed that away with BvS

I think the neck-snapping perhaps went too far. Hard to see Superman doing that to someone, but its a real, serious situation. Sure, they didn't have to put him in that situation to begin with, but it shows a very pessimistic outlook on the world. I really believe that's why people don't like the DCU so far, cause it's like the good guys are not totally winning out. Funny, cause you could say that for TDK. Personally, I like the darker kind of tones and feel like they may do bettee because they find each other and help each other in the JL. Perhaps that was the longer game Snyder was playing.

I hope Vaughn does MOS 2. He's an awesome filmmaker and seems to get what story needs to be told and tells it. First Class is the only X-Men movie I own, simply because I feel like that grasped the X-Men spirit and characterization the best.

I'm all in favour of archetypal characters being reinterpreted, especially if it means they stay relevant to successive generations. What's at issue here is whether the essence of the character is still recognisable. I believe it is, but obviously others don't.

You are wrong, yet again like you did with Deadpool you speak of a character you don't know nor understand.

Don't tell me what I do or don't understand, bruh. MY opinion is that Snyder's Superman via realism is more effective than the smiley faced Supes from the Donner films (MOS haters wanted).

The end.

Don't tell me what I do or don't understand, bruh. MY opinion is that Snyder's Superman via realism is more effective than the smiley faced Supes from the Donner films (MOS haters wanted).

The end.

SPoy0UT.gif

The end.

And spinning the world backwards TOTALLY takes out the stakes of anything from there on out. Anything bad happens, just spin around the Earth again and you can fix anything! Even when I was a kid I was like WTF? :cuckoo:

They already pissed that away with BvS

Not the return it depends on justice league oh he returns I would still like to see some element of that story line in the movies if not this the maybe Braniac . Lex luther like in the animations . Popular Superman story are not many

Because they love the Reeves version and will not let him go. The very reason Superman comics were not selling is because he was considered out dated big blue boy scout ridiculous over powered .
During the age of the edge. Which we already outgrew.

They had to shake things up by killing him which resulted a very popular story arch which I would hope they will use as the basis for this movie and lex luther needs a come back.
Popular, by stunt appeal only, but not the best by a long shot, you could even argue that it's not good.

Also; LuthOr.

Beyond the death and return of superman I don't know any other popular story lines
This speaks by itself.

and I would prefer Braniac to used in a justice league movie as he was used in the animated version
Brainiac as Kryptonian AI isn't my ideal version, but apparently that's exactly what they're going for, which I guess works for the DCEU, I don't dislike it but I hope we get a better version in the reboot.

The end.
This is why comicbook movies are bad, they give non-fans an outlet for opinions that they're not entitled to due to ignorance, lack of understanding and just plain bad taste.

You don't know nor understand Superman, opinions can be wrong too and yours is.

The end?

And spinning the world backwards TOTALLY takes out the stakes of anything from there on out. Anything bad happens, just spin around the Earth again and you can fix anything! Even when I was a kid I was like WTF? :cuckoo:
When MoS came out, a freak explained that scene as a metaphor for Superman going back in time via FTL travel and not actually reversing earth's rotation, and at the time I dismissed it easily and even mocked it.

But after thinking about it much later, I believe he is right and I kicked myself for not seeing it, this makes the act itself much more bearable, more sci-fi and less cartoony, but the implications are still as bad as they always were, he's easily given the powers of a god without any hint of the supposed repercussions, and as stupid powerful Superman should be, he is not a god, and yeah, it removes all possible tension when he has such a tool so readily available at this disposal, pretty much undoes the Donnerverse.

Reeeve is pretty much a perfect Superman but the movies themselves just don't have a sound structure.

During the age of the edge. Which we already outgrew.

Popular, by stunt appeal only, but not the best by a long shot, you could even argue that it's not good.

Also; LuthOr.

This speaks by itself.

The end?

Well what would have them do . Lex luther is superman arch Nemesis there is no one better or deserving a comeback then him I hoping we get a better written version but still Lex in the comics and animation he was amazing the movie not so much he need to be less crazy and more conniving and ruthless.

I have not read any of the john byrne superman but I respect them the Death and Return of superman is still a great story is changed everything for comics they all copy that in one way or another

Back