Lord of the Rings in Blu-Ray

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So did anyone here about some sort of line that shows up ROTK? Want to check to see if I have it on mine, but not sure even where I heard about it...

I can't believe the amount of _______s on Amazon that are rating these one star just because they aren't the extended. I guess they don't know what a real review is.

I can't believe the amount of _______s on Amazon that are rating these one star just because they aren't the extended. I guess they don't know what a real review is.
they're not reviewing the movies. they're reviewing the product.
i don't see any downside to voting against a media company trying to double-dip the profits by releasing an inferior product and delaying the more valuable one.

I haven't heard anything about that! Is it something that's throughout the movie?

No - I read that it was only in ROTK, in selct spots. I've only looked at the first two so far, and only bounced around. I wanted to check mine though before I go watching it with friends, but damn if I can remember where I read that.

I hate hearing about this stuff because then I'll spend time looking for it. Sometimes it's best not to know and hope I don't notice it. :lol

i don't see any downside to voting against a media company trying to double-dip the profits by releasing an inferior product and delaying the more valuable one.

This is not an "inferior" product, it is a different product, and no one is being forced to purchase it. Giving the TE Blu-ray set a 1-star review - simply for not being the EEs - is akin to giving an apple 1 star because it isn't an orange.

And calling this a double-dip is also somewhat disingenuous. Everyone knows that the EEs are coming, and anyone who only wants those versions can quite easily avoid the TE versions.

This is not an "inferior" product, it is a different product, and no one is being forced to purchase it. Giving the TE Blu-ray set a 1-star review is akin to giving an apple 1 star because it isn't an orange.

And calling this a double-dip is also somewhat disingenuous. Everyone knows that the EEs are coming, and anyone who only wants those versions can quite easily avoid the TE versions.

Well said, Robo! :clap

So did anyone here about some sort of line that shows up ROTK? Want to check to see if I have it on mine, but not sure even where I heard about it...

The lines (of which I know) that show up, are in FOTR. Most noticeably during the Arwen vs Ringwraith showdown at the river. A white line shows up for nearly a minute on the far right of the image, a purple one on the left.

It also happens twice during the fight on Weathertop, for two and twenty seconds respectively.

The lines (of which I know) that show up, are in FOTR. Most noticeably during the Arwen vs Ringwraith showdown at the river. A white line shows up for nearly a minute on the far right of the image, a purple one on the left.

It also happens twice during the fight on Weathertop, for two and twenty seconds respectively.

I didn't see those since I was busy watching the movie, so that's good.

Aha! Thank you very much - I'll check for those this weekend and see what I see. I don't think all discs have this problem - it's a pressing issue, I believe.

BTW, after watching quite a bit more of the movies last night (jumping around), I have to say that I still agree that the PQ is not what it should be, but that it's not the disaster some folks would have you believe.

Aha! Thank you very much - I'll check for those this weekend and see what I see. I don't think all discs have this problem - it's a pressing issue, I believe.

BTW, after watching quite a bit more of the movies last night (jumping around), I have to say that I still agree that the PQ is not what it should be, but that it's not the disaster some folks would have you believe.

Agreed.

The exact starting points are:

1:01:54
1:03:56
1:11:40

Wonder if it's indeed a pressing issue, but I doubt it since the European releases also show the problem. Overscan on televisions or wrong ratio-settings tend to hide it though.
I always watch my blu-rays on original ratio (not the cropped 16:9 setting on many tv's) and it shows quite clearly.

Last edited:
I also wonder if it might be an overscan issue. Some TVs are calibrated with more overscan than others, and maybe the calibration on some sets causes the lines to be visible, where others might "hide" them off-screen.

Agreed.

The exact starting points are:

1:01:54
1:03:56
1:11:40

Wonder if it's indeed a pressing issue, but I doubt it since the European releases also show the problem. Overscan on televisions or wrong ratio-settings tend to hide it though.
I always watch my blu-rays on original ratio (not the cropped 16:9 setting on many tv's) and it shows quite clearly.

Excellent, thanks. Yea, if it's also on the Euro release, it becomes less likely a pressing issue. I assumed since I haven't heard all folks have it, but you may be right - overscan could be hiding it. Keep in mind that folks with projectors could also be seeing it, since overscan is a little bit of a different beast there, particularly with different screen sizes, whereas the overscreen on tv's could be hiding it entirely. Estel, are you using a projector?

Excellent, thanks. Yea, if it's also on the Euro release, it becomes less likely a pressing issue. I assumed since I haven't heard all folks have it, but you may be right - overscan could be hiding it. Keep in mind that folks with projectors could also be seeing it, since overscan is a little bit of a different beast there, particularly with different screen sizes, whereas the overscreen on tv's could be hiding it entirely. Estel, are you using a projector?

Yes, I watched it using projection and on a 50" plasma. It showed on both, but since it's quite a thin line people with smaller screens could easily miss it.

Watched some of FOTR last night and honestly it looks fine to me. What I watched I had no issues with how great it looked on the TV.

Releasing these is not delaying the release of the EE. It's already been said that they aren't going to release the EEs till The Hobbit is out.

How can you vote 1 star against movies that when they were released in theaters, they were loved, as is? If the EEs never existed, would you still rate these 1 star? They won Oscars!!

Though I don't know for sure, some are saying that Amazon is taking off some of the 1 star reviews of people who say they haven't bought the discs because they aren't EEs. I don't blame them. IMO, if you don't want these, don't buy them, but to say they aren't worth a ____ isn't right when you don't even own them.

I also wonder if it might be an overscan issue. Some TVs are calibrated with more overscan than others, and maybe the calibration on some sets causes the lines to be visible, where others might "hide" them off-screen.

I watch bluray/dvd without overscan. (Dot-by-dot mode on Pioneer).

No defects should have to be hidden by overscan.

I watch bluray/dvd without overscan. (Dot-by-dot mode on Pioneer).

No defects should have to be hidden by overscan.

That's great (and I agree!), but I'm not sure what it has to do with what people have been discussing. We aren't discussing whether the lines are "acceptable" if they are hidden by overscan. All we are trying to do is understand whether that is the reason some people can see them, but others can't.

Back