Lord of the Rings in Blu-Ray

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can understand ppl giving it a 1 star rating for not being the EE's. Sure you could argue that if EE's didn't exists, then no one would give it a 1 star. But that's a moot point, since the EE's do exists.

One could also say that it's not like we all don't know the EE versions are coming, but then everyone here also knows that Sideshow/Weta made almost 200 collectible items from the films a few years ago, that doesn't mean that everyone who has seen the movies knows that.

It's very possible for someone to be looking at new blu-ray releases, see LOTR and think, O' my son or bother or whoever really liked those movies, I'll grab that. Does it say anywhere on the packaging, that EE versions will be released in the future?

Then of course we are talking Blu-ray here, which I'm told has seamless branching, so you could have TE and EE version all on the same disc.

As for quality, I wonder what will be said in the future, if/when the EE's are released and they rate/review at near perfect video conversion. Right now all are looking at the blu-ray versions and say how much better they look, but then you are comparing them to the DVD's, if they didn't look better then something would be very wrong.

just my 2c worth

PS. I should be noted, I never purchased the TE DVD's and only ever saw those once, the very first time in the cinema. I waited for the EE release, which for me, really is the LOTR films. I'll be doing the same with the blu-ray release.

To me, it burns me that anyone would give these movies ONE star. These discs don't deserve that. The movies don't deserve that. It's like saying they're crap. If you read through the reviews, it's just a bunch of people whining. And the ones who are giving it an actual review and good ratings are having their reveiws rated unhelpful by the whiners. Talk about babies.

Thats all it is I think. People whining that the TE came out. All movies do that now if they have an extended cut. The TE which is what we all saw first comes out and then any kind of EE. Thats just how it goes.

To me, it burns me that anyone would give these movies ONE star. These discs don't deserve that. The movies don't deserve that. It's like saying they're crap. If you read through the reviews, it's just a bunch of people whining. And the ones who are giving it an actual review and good ratings are having their reveiws rated unhelpful by the whiners. Talk about babies.

I was also going to reply, but after reading yours, all I can do is quote it again for good measure.

In other words...

WHAT SHE SAID! :lecture

I don't think you should be able to review something you don't own. Of course people who don't like it enough to buy it would rate it horribly. When I think 1/5 stars or 5/5 stars I think it was worth either 20% or 100% of what I paid for it. Rating this version a 1/5 simply because you prefer EE is like Star Wars fans trolling Star Trek products and giving shi((y ratings.

But it's not the movies that are being given ONE star, it's the money grabbing policies of the movie studios that are getting the 1 star.

It's been 7 years since ROTK was released and the best they can do is release the TE versions with some 'questionable' video transfer quality in some places and from what I can see, no new extra's.

They are milking it for all it is worth, do they have the right to do that, sure.... doesn't mean one has to like or agree with it.

People need to separate their views about the films and the Blu-ray release, they are not the same thing. I've not seen a release review that didn't praise the films for what they are, but all the ratings was for the video, the audio, the extras on this Blu-ray release.
As such, for those that only really want the EE release, then this Blu-ray release gets 1 star, not because the film is crap, but because it's not the EE version, which after 7+ years, there is no reason why it shouldn't be.

Dang.. when did BestBuy.com raise the price of the regular set to $85 but keep the version with the sword at $75? Weird.

But it's not the movies that are being given ONE star, it's the money grabbing policies of the movie studios that are getting the 1 star.

Virtually every movie and every studio does it. You can choose to buy or pass. Its really not a big deal.

It's been 7 years since ROTK was released and the best they can do is release the TE versions with some 'questionable' video transfer quality in some places and from what I can see, no new extra's.

I'm glad they released the TE. I would want these as well as the EE on Blu. So like I said I'm glad they did this. I don't look at it at all like this is the best they could do. As far as the video transfer I wouldn't call it questionable at all. I thought outside of a couple moments it was as nice as anything I have on Blu.

They are milking it for all it is worth, do they have the right to do that, sure.... doesn't mean one has to like or agree with it.

The same can be said though going the other direction.

People need to separate their views about the films and the Blu-ray release, they are not the same thing. I've not seen a release review that didn't praise the films for what they are, but all the ratings was for the video, the audio, the extras on this Blu-ray release.
As such, for those that only really want the EE release, then this Blu-ray release gets 1 star, not because the film is crap, but because it's not the EE version, which after 7+ years, there is no reason why it shouldn't be.

Okay, should Avatar be getting 5 stars then, before it's even released, like it's getting? No extras and from what I've been reading they plan to add 40 minutes to the extended this November?

People are rating ONE star because they're being pissy. That's not how reviews are supposed to work. You buy something, then review it. What's bad is, these people didn't even buy it! They think they're sending a message to New Line or WB. Well guess what, it's already released so too late now! If they want to vote, vote with their wallets, but don't mess up Amazon's rating system.

This much is absolutely correct. People should be able to rate the quality of the product, separately from the quality of the films.

This much is absolutely incorrect. The fact that you (or anyone) has no interest in the TEs does not mean that they should not have been released on Blu-ray. Many of us still enjoy the TEs immensely. Further, as I (and others) have already mentioned numerous times, when a product clearly states what it is, giving it a poor rating - simply because it isn't something else - is childish, and even bordering on irrational. And, just so everyone is clear, here is the product name from Amazon:

"The Lord of the Rings: The Motion Picture Trilogy (Theatrical Editions + Digital Copy) [Blu-ray]"

No one who possesses even nominal intelligence could possibly be fooled by that name.

Okay, should Avatar be getting 5 stars then, before it's even released, like it's getting? No extras and from what I've been reading they plan to add 40 minutes to the extended this November?

People are rating ONE star because they're being pissy. That's not how reviews are supposed to work. You buy something, then review it. What's bad is, these people didn't even buy it! They think they're sending a message to New Line or WB. Well guess what, it's already released so too late now! If they want to vote, vote with their wallets, but don't mess up Amazon's rating system.

No, Avatar shouldn't be getting 5 stars when the Blu-ray hasn't been released or seen yet. For all we know, the transfer could be crap, I doubt it, but you never know.

I have no doubt the 1 star are exactly about sending a message to WB and clearly it didn't work, not that I would expect it too. Doesn't mean ppl can't give it a try tho and I'm very sure many have voted with their wallets and not purchased the TE's. For anyone that wants to know why, well, just look at said Amazon ratings.

This much is absolutely incorrect. The fact that you (or anyone) has no interest in the TEs does not mean that they should not have been released on Blu-ray. Many of us still enjoy the TEs immensely. Further, as I (and others) have already mentioned numerous times, when a product clearly states what it is, giving it a poor rating - simply because it isn't something else - is childish, and even bordering on irrational.

I've never said the TE's shouldn't be released. After all this time, there is no reason why both TE's and EE's couldn't have been released at the same time, with reference quality video to go with what clearly seems to be reference quality audio and maybe a couple new extra's, in HD.

Be they do that as two separate packs, all in one with separate disc's or if seamless branching works, all on the same disc's.
And yes, I know, all the movie studios do it, milk something for everything it's worth (hi George), doesn't mean we have to like it and as childish as it maybe, some people have expressed that dislike with a 1 star rating (along with not buying it).

And, just so everyone is clear, here is the product name from Amazon:

"The Lord of the Rings: The Motion Picture Trilogy (Theatrical Editions + Digital Copy) [Blu-ray]"

No one who possesses even nominal intelligence could possibly be fooled by that name.

I wish that was true, but years of experience at work seems to disprove that every time. It is almost amazing how one can put up a sign, just about in your face to say that something isn't working and then get a whole bunch of people walk up to you and say they tried to do something but it didn't work.
Show them the sign that they just about had to move away in order to do it and the reply, "O' I didn't read/see that."
Trust me, it is truly staggering. It goes hand in hand with people complaining that something doesn't work and hasn't worked for weeks. When you ask who they told about the problem, guess what the reply is, yup, that's right, "O' I didn't tell anyone."

And just to set the record straight, no, I haven't voted a 1 star rating and don't intent to, since I don't have the release and have no plans to buy it. Doesn't mean I'm still not pissed that I've now got to wait another year, or two or more for the EE release.

I have no opinion about how people can show their displeasure about this release. The fact that WB released the TEs, and had the option of releasing the EEs with the ability to branch? Yeah, well if we're ok waiting longer, which many of us are, then you can have your cake later. Still . . . it's everyone's freedom of speech. If they want to use Amazon to voice their displeasure . . .it's their right as they see it. I for one knew that they used Amazon as the vehicle to raise their displeasure. Still, I bought this TE set. And I support their right to voice their displeasure this way. It's a free world. And I stay informed. It's LOTR! So, damned if I do, and damned if I don't! Both make sense. We are all a culmination of our opinions.

I don't think anyone is saying they don't have the right. Just that its lame doing so. They're giving something a bad score because they don't want the TE to come out over the choice of the EE.

I still don't care if I'm the only person on Earth who believes that the Theatrical Edition of FELLOWSHIP is a superior film to the Extended.

It's different with the other two, but imho the Theatrical version of FOTR is a near perfect film that completely loses a lot of its emotion and charm with all of the stuff added to the first 1/3 of the Extended version. I'm glad to have the Theatrical on Blu-ray.

This is not an "inferior" product, it is a different product, and no one is being forced to purchase it. Giving the TE Blu-ray set a 1-star review - simply for not being the EEs - is akin to giving an apple 1 star because it isn't an orange.

And calling this a double-dip is also somewhat disingenuous. Everyone knows that the EEs are coming, and anyone who only wants those versions can quite easily avoid the TE versions.

:tap
What if some people just want to be whiny little _____es? And FYI, some people do have imaginary friends that have little revolvers with epithelial tissue from their temples on the snubbed nose. Your "theory" doesn't account for that either Mr. Smartypants.

The Amazon reviews are plain stupid. If you want the EE, thats great. But does the whole world need to know. You cant even read a real review about the new bluray release without going through hundreds of stupid "I want the EE :chug" Every site I go to its the same thing.

I still don't care if I'm the only person on Earth who believes that the Theatrical Edition of FELLOWSHIP is a superior film to the Extended.

It's different with the other two, but imho the Theatrical version of FOTR is a near perfect film that completely loses a lot of its emotion and charm with all of the stuff added to the first 1/3 of the Extended version. I'm glad to have the Theatrical on Blu-ray.

I like the added Hobbiton scenes quite a bit; but beyond that I agree.

Back