Lord of the Rings in Blu-Ray

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got this set tonight...I've been watching FOTR and I think it looks great....and it sounds fantastic!

Sorry folks seem to be having so many "problems" with lines or whatever, but I'm pleased with what I've seen and heard so far...

It's been a while since I've watched these (especially the theatrical editions) and it's the power of a great movie that just captures you into watching the whole thing again....

Nice to have these on BR!

That's great (and I agree!), but I'm not sure what it has to do with what people have been discussing. We aren't discussing whether the lines are "acceptable" if they are hidden by overscan. All we are trying to do is understand whether that is the reason some people can see them, but others can't.

:lol Guess that's what I get for being to lazy to read back a couple pages!

Sorry. :)

:peace

That's great (and I agree!), but I'm not sure what it has to do with what people have been discussing. We aren't discussing whether the lines are "acceptable" if they are hidden by overscan. All we are trying to do is understand whether that is the reason some people can see them, but others can't.

OK, some things I need cleared up.

I wasn't aware that LCD/Plasma TV really had any 'overscan', that was always an old CRT TV issue, where up to 10% around the picture is pushed out into the tube and hidden via the surrounding holding it.

If I have a 1920x1080 LCD TV and show a blu-ray on it, then I should see it all, unless its a movie I've changed the aspect ratio on to make it fill the screen. Or is this what we are talking about with 'overscan', that ppl aren't seeing the lines, because they have adjusted all blu-ray and DVD playback to fill the screen, ie chop off the sides and remove the "black bars" at the top and bottom.

If these lines are on every Blu-ray and ppl are watching them on LCD/Plasma screens in original aspect ratio, then shouldn't all be seeing them. Unless the lines are at column 1 and 1920, in which case I guess it's possible to loose a couple of pixel lines on the TV at the very very edge.

Doesn't anyone have a PC with a blu-ray player and can grab an image of the lines, that would make it much easier for all to know what they are looking for and see if this is only on some disc's or everything produced so far.

Most fixed-pixel displays can operate in modes that either support overscan or disable it. In a purely digital world, you are right that there should be no need for it, but there are still a huge number of analog-to-digital transfers out there that were sloppily handled, and the area in the overscan can, and often does, contain garbage.

The reason so many people don't see the issue is because for most TVs, the default mode is to have overscan enabled, and on some you need to go into maintenance mode to disable it (which most people don't have the necessary codes to do).

What I can say with reasonable confidence is that the likelihood of the problem being present on some discs but not all is incredibly small.

Ahh, OK. I did have a good read over the manual for my 32" Sony and don't remember reading anything about overscan, but that maybe a case of it just being something hidden that pretty much all users don't need to know about.

In the past, these type of lines tend to be in the actual film/encode, so yes, I too would expect to either see it on all disc's or none at all.

HAHAHA....just saw all the 1-3 star reviews on Amazon for this set. Someone said, and I quote "George Lucas wasn't even this mean!!". If George Lucas did a slow release like LOTR, which he will be, then at least with the help of THX he will get the job done right the first time. I know hes gonna release the old ones seperate and then new ones later. Hell he aint even released the full set in one DVD pack yet so who knows. Anyways it is stupid that ppl are rating 1-3 stars just because it aint the EE. People were informed of this before. People are just trying to screw with the releasers, but they have the right too. Clearly milking the set is one way to rip someone off but screwing with the picture with DNR and bad transfer is not on. I say they should re transfer and get everyone to send back Fellowship of the Ring, which is the worst so far and get it replaced !!! Viva La Revolution !!!

HAHAHA....just saw all the 1-3 star reviews on Amazon for this set. Someone said, and I quote "George Lucas wasn't even this mean!!". If George Lucas did a slow release like LOTR, which he will be, then at least with the help of THX he will get the job done right the first time. I know hes gonna release the old ones seperate and then new ones later. Hell he aint even released the full set in one DVD pack yet so who knows. Anyways it is stupid that ppl are rating 1-3 stars just because it aint the EE. People were informed of this before. People are just trying to screw with the releasers, but they have the right too. Clearly milking the set is one way to rip someone off but screwing with the picture with DNR and bad transfer is not on. I say they should re transfer and get everyone to send back Fellowship of the Ring, which is the worst so far and get it replaced !!! Viva La Revolution !!!

I have no problems with someone reviewing it badly because they own it and don't like it, but to diss it because it's not the EEs is silly. And in a way, it's not milking it because you know the EEs are coming out later, years later maybe, so you don't need to buy these if you don't want. I would prefer the EEs, but since I can't get them for years, this will tie me over. You can't be screwed if you know about things ahead of time. I hate when you don't know about it, buy a disc, only a few months later they release a extended verison. Then I feel screwed. I was lucky that I knew about the DVD extended editions before they released the theatricals, so I didn't buy both. Look how many times LotRs has been re-released over the years with added this or that and I haven't heard any complaining.

I've actually read where people were called traitors for buying these. Traitors! :lol

I must be a traitor then since these are the only ones I am buying. I can't sit through the EE.

I must be a traitor then since these are the only ones I am buying. I can't sit through the EE.

I'm a traitor too but I'm a pirate, so it's expected of me.:arr

I like both and can watch both. If the EEs would've been out this November like some had said last year, I would've waited.

Just finished FOTR. A couple moments where it was soft but otherwise I thought the quality was AWESOME! Really well done! Getting TTT now and will finish the day with ROTK. Folks are watching with me so it's been a pretty awesome day.

i will wait for the EE versions....only because i have both versions on dvd and dont wanna cough up cash X 2....
plus i love all the scenes with Haldir and all the other EE goodness throughout the trilogy....Mouth of Sauron included ;)

I don't think it's such a BAD thing that these are released like this first. Love it or hate they ARE the theatrical releases and for many people that is good enough. I love the EE's too, but I also like to get through these in their more compact form as well.
I know alot of companies like to screw you and make you double dip, but in this case it seems to be less of a crime that they are doing this.

This is nowhere near as bad as Star Wars releases lol
Man, even just on VHS, I had 3 copies of the original trilogy!

And again for those that doubt and are worried about the first film. Don't! It's pretty good and I have no really complaints. Totally enjoyed watching AND listening in this new format!

I love both versions. Do the EE add to LOTR? Yeah, it does but I love the TE editions as its what I saw first and what I built memories of first seeing it with my folks.

I have no problem with the theatrical vs EE difference. To me they are two separate experiences with pros and cons on both sides. I bought both on DVD and there is no question will buy both on Blu Ray.

The part that bothers me is that for a release of this magnitude (and there is little doubt that this trilogy stands up there with Star Wars and Indiana Jones as one of the most anticipated on high-def) the lack of respect and care shown it by Warner Brothers is shocking.

It smacks of greed, arrogance, stupidity, and just plain carelessness. They did this with Gladiator and we are seeing it again with Lord of the Rings. The terrible image quality and digital noise reduction applied to these discs can not hold up when viewed on any screen of quality and again reflects Warner Brother's lack of commitment and lack of integrity.

They know the uneducated masses will buy this release and then will give a better mastered version with the EE's.

My suspicion is that there will never be another remastered and improved version of the theatrical. Small loss to many here who only care that the Extended Versions are the best they can be, but for me, a 5 star video and 5 star audio presentation of the theatrical is just as important.

Dennis

Honestly after watching all three today I think what we got was 5 stars. I have ZERO issues with them.

I had totally planned on buying the TE when they came out on Blu and will buy the EE as well.

I have no problem with the theatrical vs EE difference. To me they are two separate experiences with pros and cons on both sides. I bought both on DVD and there is no question will buy both on Blu Ray.

The part that bothers me is that for a release of this magnitude (and there is little doubt that this trilogy stands up there with Star Wars and Indiana Jones as one of the most anticipated on high-def) the lack of respect and care shown it by Warner Brothers is shocking.

It smacks of greed, arrogance, stupidity, and just plain carelessness. They did this with Gladiator and we are seeing it again with Lord of the Rings. The terrible image quality and digital noise reduction applied to these discs can not hold up when viewed on any screen of quality and again reflects Warner Brother's lack of commitment and lack of integrity.

They know the uneducated masses will buy this release and then will give a better mastered version with the EE's.

My suspicion is that there will never be another remastered and improved version of the theatrical. Small loss to many here who only care that the Extended Versions are the best they can be, but for me, a 5 star video and 5 star audio presentation of the theatrical is just as important.

Dennis

Of the people that I know who have bought this, all have said that FotR has a few soft spots, but other than that, they are happy with them. I haven't had a chance to view mine yet because of having to take care of my mother, but I'm sure I'll be happy with them.

Back