Lone Survivor

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Also, in a separate interview with Marcus Lutrell, after Murphy ascended the mountain to get signal, he screamed for Marcus' name. Marcus couldn't take it and broke down. He put his weapon down and tried to shut his ears to block out the screams.

Marcus Lutrell was in the movie; he was in a couple of the scenes. Him and another SEAL were there on location, advising heavily more so on that mountain gun fight.

yep. closer to what M. Lutrell's account rather than your usual "hollywood" action sequence.
and olbertfrog prefers "hurt locker" realism compared to this. that's nutz.

Saw this a few nights ago. I did enjoy it, but what stood out to me was how silent the theater was once the credits started rolling. I half expected everyone to applaud, but you could have heard a pin drop.

Yeah, you could hear a pin drop. Even some crying from the pictures at the end and lots grimaces during some of the action sequences.

Marcus Lutrell was in the movie; he was in a couple of the scenes. Him and another SEAL were there on location, advising heavily more so on that mountain gun fight.

I thought that it was cool to see him. He was even on the copter that went down. That had to be weird for him.

yep. closer to what M. Lutrell's account rather than your usual "hollywood" action sequence.
and olbertfrog prefers "hurt locker" realism compared to this. that's nutz.

im talking about sobriety not realism.
As for the movie being accurate because of Lutrell being involved...
This movie is a very over embellished version
of a very over embellished book. And this is from people I know from my old unit
on the ground that were part of the joint CSAR package. The tragic thing is,
that Luttrell also served as a consultant during filming and an extra as part of
the crew of the MH-47 that crashed during the CSAR scene. So he knew all the
lies that were being filmed and still let it happen for profit. Sadly, he
didn't ever have to do that, because even surviving an ambush like that would
have made him a legend in our community, There was no need to ever embellish
anything in his book or the film. But he had his eyes on the pay check instead of
reality.

This site sets out all the lies/.embellishments best: https://www.onviolence.com/?e=762

Now i can't wait for the "hey mate but they can't do the exact story, its a hollywood flick not a doc" :)

Already replying...
I doubt you even had the time to read the article, know who are the guys credentials or anything.
Just arguing for the sake of it.
Your bad faith is gonna choke you to death one day :)

Evidence?
We re on trial?
Just discussing a movie i tought.
Its just another side to the story.
But since its not going your way you rather diss it before even reading it lol
Chill.

Saw this today. Really solid film. One of the better military films I've see in a while and pretty powerful. I'll get this on Blu.

OMG Josh!!!! We agree on a movie ;)

im talking about sobriety not realism.
As for the movie being accurate because of Lutrell being involved...

Now i can't wait for the "hey mate but they can't do the exact story, its a hollywood flick not a doc" :)

Yes there were differences from the book. ML commented on this in several interviews.... His main thing was that he wanted his brothers to be treated with respect. He actually threated the producers if they tried to make his fellow soldiers look bad. His whole purpose was to tell his brothers story... Not really his own. In the film you can tell that as his character is the least interesting.

As changes go... Well that happens with all film. As far as the falling down the mountain goes. Well in the book it happened 4 times not 2 (at least that is what I was told). But I will defend you with this... If you did not know it was based on a true story I think I can see why you might think the falling down the mountain was "over the top". Sometimes truth is stranger then fiction... Knowing that is really happened might have changed your view.

I remember how Fargo felt when I believed that was a true story and then found out it wasn't. Much different viewing experience.

Already replying...
I doubt you even had the time to read the article, know who are the guys credentials or anything.
Just arguing for the sake of it.
Your bad faith is gonna choke you to death one day :)

Evidence?
We re on trial?
Just discussing a movie i tought.
Its just another side to the story.
But since its not going your way you rather diss it before even reading it lol
Chill.

Holy WOW! I doubt anyone would read all of this.... I mean go beyond just just that article... Guy has a whole blog dedicated to that book... A book that goes out of it's way to be a tribute to fallen soldiers... Not sure what his agenda is.. I mean I could understand If ML was making himself out to be the hero the whole time... But that was not the case. Will have to go back and read some more.

Yep your definitly right about the fact that knowing that it was a true story would have changed my view.
I said it before, but some prefer to ignore and diss, unlike you :)
I was in hollywood war movie mode hence why some stuff didnt work for me.
I can understand why people can be emotional about this, but me i'm just talking about the movie aspect, as a cinematographical obejct.
No sentiments or anything.
And i did not liked it. Thats all :)
If people were moved, loved it and great for them.
Im not going to call them wannabees soldiers or anything.
:)

Holy WOW! I doubt anyone would read all of this.... I mean go beyond just just that article... Guy has a whole blog dedicated to that book... A book that goes out of it's way to be a tribute to fallen soldiers... Not sure what his agenda is.. I mean I could understand If ML was making himself out to be the hero the whole time... But that was not the case. Will have to go back and read some more.

Well now that you mention it, yep the guy is pretty obsessed.
I went to a few soliders forums and a lot are pointing to this blog so i tought i would give it a try.
Not to argument, but to know more about the whole real thing.

Yep your definitly right about the fact that knowing that it was a true story would have changed my view.
I said it before, but some prefer to ignore and diss, unlike you :)
I was in hollywood war movie mode hence why some stuff didnt work for me.
I can understand why people can be emotional about this, but me i'm just talking about the movie aspect, as a cinematographical obejct.
No sentiments or anything.
And i did not liked it. Thats all :)
If people were moved, loved it and great for them.
Im not going to call them wannabees soldiers or anything.

I think what initially happened is you had your initial comments about finding it funny and such and that came across as very off putting because we knew that is was based on a true story. After you said you did not know it was going into it.. I separated myself from the film and thought about that cliff scene. Had I thought it was just an fictional war film I may have thought the cliff scene was too much. But because I knew it was true I was much more invested in the characters and what was happening and know a bit about the book because my best friend and my father read the book.

As far as the Blog goes... Many of the differences between the book and film were pointed out to me after the film by my friend who read the book. I wished they just stayed true to the book because that story was amazing enough. But I also understand that the ending might have been deemed a tad slow. I still wish it stayed true. As far as the blog goes... I have trouble listening to guys who were not there write about something they were not witness to. Like I said before ML did not go out of his way to make himself the hero. The book was about and a tribute to his brothers. Even then I did not think he went out of his way to make them seem like super soldiers or anything. Just normal everyday good men who found themselves in an impossible situation and fought for each other and nothing else.

Well now that you mention it, yep the guy is pretty obsessed.
I went to a few soliders forums and a lot are pointing to this blog so i tought i would give it a try.
Not to argument, but to know more about the whole real thing.

Guy is actually guys... It's written by two brothers and it's not just dedicated to Lone Survivor but it seems to be now that the book and film are such hits.

I think what initially happened is you had your initial comments about finding it funny and such and that came across as very off putting because we knew that is was based on a true story. After you said you did not know it was going into it.. I separated myself from the film and thought about that cliff scene. Had I thought it was just an fictional war film I may have thought the cliff scene was too much. But because I knew it was true I was much more invested in the characters and what was happening and know a bit about the book because my best friend and my father read the book.

I didn't even know about the cliff jumping till I saw it.

:exactly:

As far as the Blog goes... Many of the differences between the book and film were pointed out to me after the film by my friend who read the book. I wished they just stayed true to the book because that story was amazing enough. But I also understand that the ending might have been deemed a tad slow. I still wish it stayed true. As far as the blog goes... I have trouble listening to guys who were not there write about something they were not witness to. Like I said before ML did not go out of his way to make himself the hero. The book was about and a tribute to his brothers. Even then I did not think he went out of his way to make them seem like super soldiers or anything. Just normal everyday good men who found themselves in an impossible situation and fought for each other and nothing else.

Yet it didn't change anything and coaxed someone into uber namecalling troll mode.

Guy is actually guys... It's written by two brothers and it's not just dedicated to Lone Survivor but it seems to be now that the book and film are such hits.

Yup, and I was the one accused of not reading it. It sounds like these brothers have a hardon for dissing on the book, yet neither were there, neither are even SEALs and one of them isn't even in the military. :monkey1

I didn't even know about the cliff jumping till I saw it.

But you knew it was based on a true story... That was Frogs point... He thought it was just a fictional War flick... And thus thought it seemed over the top.

I also did not know about the cliff jump either. But I knew it was probably true and thus I found it bone jarring.

But you knew it was based on a true story... That was Frogs point... He thought it was just a fictional War flick... And thus thought it seemed over the top.
I also did not know about the cliff jump either. But I knew it was probably true and thus I found it bone jarring.
yep, exactly.
Peter Berg who was right out of BATTLE****, Marky Mark in his umpth soldier role, the guy from John Carter showing his muscle in the first minutes of the movie. I was like ok this is another one of those hollywood cliché war action movies.
And now that i know that its a true story, i really feel the Berg style ws not appropriate.
But hey thats me, its just a matter of taste.
Not right or wrong :)

:exactly:
Yet it didn't change anything and coaxed someone into uber namecalling troll mode.
Yup, and I was the one accused of not reading it. It sounds like these brothers have a hardon for dissing on the book, yet neither were there, neither are even SEALs and one of them isn't even in the military. :monkey1

Woops i forgot an s!
Well see how well you do writing/speaking French or German?
Dont bother, rethorical question

How classy of you to diss soldiers for expressing views.
Oh wait he's not even a SEAL, then he probably worth nothing...

Next time you eat a ****ty meal at a restaurant dont you say anything, you're not even a cook ;)

Last edited:
Back