Likelyhood of a 1/6 Scale Rancor

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Customikey said:
Someone comp in Sideshow Luke.....

I've seen this in person. It's gorgeous, even though the drool hangs wonky.

Your wish...

rancorwithSSluke.jpg

This thing would be HUGE-I-NORMOUS!!!!

Now, if those proportions are correct...IF...then Rancor would be around 30" tall. The real killer, like Seaward said, is the relative proportions of his depth and width.

The proportions look about right, don't they? I mean, Luke jammed its mouth with a femur bone so he can't be much bigger. His claws look about right to grab a Pig Guard.

Even though it would be huge, I don't think that statue is in scale. The GG looked tiny when the Rancor ate it, and they are very tiny guys. I think that it would still need more size to be in scale, which Sideshow would IF they made one.

I think the GG statue scale looks right, when he eats the Gamorrean Guard, the GG makes the Rancor look smaller than other shots do.

Yep, been saying all along a Rancor would be about 3 x the size of Luke or 3 ft tall which is fine (if hunched over a bit even smaller), put him on the floor below your Jabba table display and bingo!

I'll tell ya something else, I am betting Lucas et al want to see one made too and that could make all the difference.

Thanks WG! Think positive people!

Last edited:
I passed on Jabba but if SS makes a 1/6 scale Rancor I'd probably by the Rancor, Jabba, and everything else from his palace. The kid in me just wouldn't be able to resist such a menagerie!

Wouldn't it be around the same size as the Balrog? Just not huge wings? I don't think you would need a lot of articulation. Maybe just ball jointed shoulders and elbows and some kind of mouth would be nice. The legs would most likely have to be stationary to support the weight.

Wasn't there a custom 1/6 Rancor posted a few months back? I remember seeing pictures... but it could have been on Rebelscum.

The GG Rancor is really deep--the head sticks out past the edge of the shelf it is sitting on. I am worried that one of these days somebody is going to brush past it and break off that drool...

I don't know that I would have the room for a Rancor in scale with the Sideshow figures, but it would be fun to see them do it.

Do you realize that IF they made this, it'd be larger than the actual prop? The original puppet was about 15" tall.

I agree about the legs. NO articulation needed. I just want him to be able to stand on his own (or using his custom "bone strewn floor" base).

Limited articulation would work fine with this guy; arms, shoulders, elbows, wrists, neck as gb pointed out and maybe waist joints.

Remember this is just a 3 ft hollow plastic piece with great sculpt and paint apps. I don't really agree with all these price point predictions, my goodness, don't put numbers like that in SSC heads. Think If NECA made one then maybe double the price for SSC quality, maybe $169 - 225 anything over that and you'll be pricing out a lot of collectors who want one...

I agree with you Pjam, it could probably be done at a high quality in terms of sculpt and paint apps... yet remain at a reasonable price. I don't think Sideshow would roll out a single item in this line that would top $300... if they did it would be very likely to alienate a lot of collectors. Lord knows some are already unhappy about Jabba and Co.

Well I was doing some reading about Jabbas rancor and it said that the thing was 10m tall. If you convert that to English units and then bring it down to 1/6 scale this thing would be huge. The rancor would be like 5 and half feet tall. I just dont see Sideshow making this. Now if he was only 5m tall then well he would only be 2 and 3/4 ft tall, but supposedly the one Jabba has is one of the taller ones of the species.

jason2885 said:
Well I was doing some reading about Jabbas rancor and it said that the thing was 10m tall. If you convert that to English units and then bring it down to 1/6 scale this thing would be huge. The rancor would be like 5 and half feet tall. I just dont see Sideshow making this. Now if he was only 5m tall then well he would only be 2 and 3/4 ft tall, but supposedly the one Jabba has is one of the taller ones of the species.

Actuall, I seem to recall Jabba's was really more of a child. A smaller one....:confused:

galactiboy said:
I agree with you Pjam, it could probably be done at a high quality in terms of sculpt and paint apps... yet remain at a reasonable price. I don't think Sideshow would roll out a single item in this line that would top $300... if they did it would be very likely to alienate a lot of collectors. Lord knows some are already unhappy about Jabba and Co.

So, we're talking about five or six molded hollow plastic pieces, maybe more, with about 10 ttl points of articulation or so sculpted and painted...

pjam said:
So, we're talking about five or six molded hollow plastic pieces, maybe more, with about 10 ttl points of articulation or so sculpted and painted...

They can do that for a reasonable price, no problem.
It's not just the molding, it's the sculpting, the paint application (my God, the paint application), and the casting process. Jabba is onle three pieces and he's over $100!

I know, but let's not start throwing ridiculous prices out there, that's my point...

If HT can make a 16" Alien Warrior kit with like 50 POA and super highly detailed for 110, SSC can do this for a reasonable price IMO.

Back