Legendary Pictures' GODZILLA - !!SPOILERS!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's not the mindless monster movie like Pacific Rim that mass audiences want, but more Spielberg level where the creature is a secondary thought and the human story being compelling is primary. Many mistake this as meaning Edwards won't give Godzilla himself proper attention, rather than seeing it just means, he'll make the human parts just as exciting and engagin as the monster ones so you'll care about the people instead of spending 2 hours waiting for them to die or whaterver.

Godzilla has never truly been the focal point in all of his movies. People relate to people, not giant, lumbering monsters (generally speaking, outside of Wal-mart). Godzilla has always worked best as a means to push the human characters to certain points and to allow them to grow throughout the film. A strong cast will really drive this home. Now, for a lot of these films the issue becomes giving Godzilla ENOUGH attention yet making every second he's on screen feel powerful and fresh. Godzilla has to have those face-to-face moments and directly affect, and by affected, by the humans. Because I don't care how good the SFX is, there is only so much city smashing, monster fighting before the audience becomes emotionally disconnected.

Godzilla has never truly been the focal point in all of his movies. People relate to people, not giant, lumbering monsters (generally speaking, outside of Wal-mart). Godzilla has always worked best as a means to push the human characters to certain points and to allow them to grow throughout the film. A strong cast will really drive this home. Now, for a lot of these films the issue becomes giving Godzilla ENOUGH attention yet making every second he's on screen feel powerful and fresh. Godzilla has to have those face-to-face moments and directly affect, and by affected, by the humans. Because I don't care how good the SFX is, there is only so much city smashing, monster fighting before the audience becomes emotionally disconnected.

That's where Edwards' approach with Monsters makes him great for Godzilla. It's just weird, I read fan thoughts on other boards and people talk as though Godzilla needs to be the lead and consume most of the screen time or it's a bust. Reality is, Godzilla himself typically takes up 1/3 of the screen time, if that. I made stripped down cuts of the movies to keep on my phone for watching that are just Godzilla's screen time, and in Ghidrah the Three-Headed Monster, the monster footage only adds up to about 20 minutes, leaving about 70 to the human story.

It's definitely about the balance of quality for all included. Some Godzillas have suffered from solid Godzilla time and lackluster human time, or the reverse. If Edwards balances both, it'll be a smash and I think he will.

Yeah it's like a horror film.....seeing too much of the villain ends up taking the fear away. I do believe Godzilla should have limited screen time, but each minute of that screen time is important. Don't waste too much time by gimmicky things like trying to build up Godzilla's reveal at a time by only showing parts of him well into an hour of the film. Make it all count. Give me some interesting, well developed foreshadowing and mythology (like the rumored script leak had), a grande entrance and a full reveal, acts of destruction and incredible displays of power and durability (to a great score, because the music is key), a segment that shows Godzilla has layers as a character (not making him pregnant obviously but like how in Gojira when Godzilla saw Ogata and Serizawa at the bottom of the ocean and looked more curious than lethal or something) if done well, and an epic, emotional conclusion. That's all I want from Godzilla himself lol.

What other films has the composer done the music too?

The Little Prince (filming)
2014 Suite française (post-production)
2014 Godzilla (post-production)
Untitled Lance Armstrong Biopic (post-production)
2014 The Grand Budapest Hotel (completed)
2014 The Monuments Men
2013 Philomena
2013 Fanny
2013 Marius
2013 Zulu
2013 Venus in Fur
2013 From A to Z (Short) (original score)
2012 Zero Dark Thirty
2012 Rise of the Guardians
2012 Argo
2012 Renoir
2012 A Therapy (Short)
2012/II Reality
2012 Rust and Bone
2012 Moonrise Kingdom
2012 My Way
2011 Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close
2011 Roman Polanski: A Film Memoir (Documentary)
2011 Carnage
2011 The Ides of March
2011 Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2
2011 A Better Life
2011 The Tree of Life
2011 The Well-Digger's Daughter
2011 The Burma Conspiracy
2010 Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1
2010 The King's Speech
2010 The Special Relationship (TV Movie)
2010 Tamara Drewe
2010 The Ghost
2009 The Twilight Saga: New Moon
2009 Fantastic Mr. Fox (music by)
2009 Julie & Julia
2009 Army of Crime
2009 A Prophet
2009 Coco Before Chanel
2009 Chéri
2008 The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
2008 The Heir Apparent: Largo Winch
2008 Afterwards
2007 The Golden Compass
2007 Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium
2007 L'ennemi intime
2007 Lust, Caution
2007 Ségo et Sarko sont dans un bateau... (Documentary)
2007 Michou d'Auber
2006 The Painted Veil
2006 The Queen
2006 Quand j'étais chanteur
2006 The Valet
2006 Firewall
2006 Lies & Alibis
2005 Syriana
2005 Casanova
2005 Une aventure
2005 Hostage
2005 The Beat That My Heart Skipped
2005 The Upside of Anger

Hmm.....that's a good list. Though I can't particularly remember any of those films having a great soundtrack to my liking. Argo, Zero Dark Thirty and the Presidents Speech were all very good films.

Desplat is an amazing composer. Normally very low and classical. Atmospheric and melodic.
Very cool he is doing this. Golden Compass and Coco Before Chanel were beautiful, have quite a few of his scores, even his Harry Potter
Was good.

I'm sure his original pieces will be perfect for this film, I just hope he attempts to take the classic I-f-u-k-u-b-e themes and make them fit in as well. The master himself created many iterations over the years and I do believe there's plenty of room for it to make it's way into this score and fit with what's on screen.

I can't wait to buy the score, should probably be out in mid-late April, most likely same time the Art of Destruction is released.

Thanks to the Apple trailer, I realized I had the spike details on his neck pretty off so I started reworking them today.

12061136785_7368cbe6bf_o.jpg

I see like 50 angry faces, the Lion King, my ex and 3 Rhinos in those clouds.

Then again the Rhino's could also just be more of my ex.

Last edited:
Again Godzilla in stratosphere??? They're called Halo jumpers for a reason. They jump from the stratosphere so Godzilla can't see the plane. Him being tall in the stratosphere would be ludicrous! Might as well be the firefox logo lol

Back