Legendary Pictures' GODZILLA - !!SPOILERS!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Legendary Pictures' GODZILLA - May 16, 2014

Son of a *****!!!!!

So I wonder if Toho is as strict with Legendary as they were with TriStar? Like the character of Godzilla had to meet certain criteria before Toho approved an American-made film. One of those was supposed to be that Godzilla couldn't die in the '98 film. But we know how that turned out.

Spoilers!

Sorry if this has been detailed before, but without any new updates what is there else to dscuss that we haven't covered beautifully already?

So how the hell did they get away killing zilla in the 98 movie?

Hey look, a whole new thread! Surely, this time there will be a trailer.

Nope.

:monkey2 Back to lurking...

So how the hell did they get away killing zilla in the 98 movie?

Not quite sure. I've always wondered that myself.

At some point, it would seem Toho must have folded to some of these things. If I remember correctly, I believe I read a conflicting report about several of these stances. Part of it was I believe TriStar was claiming that Toho LOVED their Godzila design. But someone from Toho said it wasn't the case or they had pre-approved a similar, less-radical design before TriStar put Zilla in the final cut.

I can't link anything, so take that for what it's worth.

personajes_joker_11.jpg

:yess::yess:

can always count on MF. :lecture

although I think I really was supposed to say "My balloons, those are my balloons". :slap

Not quite sure. I've always wondered that myself.

At some point, it would seem Toho must have folded to some of these things. If I remember correctly, I believe I read a conflicting report about several of these stances. Part of it was I believe TriStar was claiming that Toho LOVED their Godzila design. But someone from Toho said it wasn't the case or they had pre-approved a similar, less-radical design before TriStar put Zilla in the final cut.

I can't link anything, so take that for what it's worth.

I've heard the same, that Toho was told and shown one direction for the film and what we got was much different from that.

I do find it hard to believe that Toho would support such a deviation from the character and all, but at least they seem more hands on with Legendary and everyone seems to get how to be respectful. Devlin and Emmerich always talked up change but I think we were all too excited to notice and just didn't expect such an extreme change, but they often said the guy in a suit method had limits and they wanted to make him do stuff that CGI could make possible. That sort of statement also doesn't clarify that making him run fast means he'll run away from everything. All the changes they spoke of we're minor details compared to what was hidden but Edwards seems more focused on using CGI to enhance Toho's
creature, without changing him.

It makes me wonder, if King Kong had been a Toho Kaiju, would he have had as many sequels?

What is it about Godzilla, out of all the movie monsters ever created, that keeps people coming back for more even after 30 films, there have been so many creatures to come from cinema but his filmography is far larger than any other's, but why, what's so different about him? It's one of my most favorite characters but for the life of me I couldn't tell ya why he never gets old to me.

It makes me wonder, if King Kong had been a Toho Kaiju, would he have had as many sequels?

What is it about Godzilla, out of all the movie monsters ever created, that keeps people coming back for more even after 30 films, there have been so many creatures to come from cinema but his filmography is far larger than any other's, but why, what's so different about him? It's one of my most favorite characters but for the life of me I couldn't tell ya why he never gets old to me.

Hmm....interesting question.

Is it his ability to adapt with the times? No matter what seems to be important in the world in a given period or era, Godzilla somehow is relevant? Whether it's radiation fear, messages of pollution, the beauty of nature, standing up for yourself, etc. For no matter what mood or what genre is popular in filmmaking, Godzilla has always been created to fit in.

Timeliness? No other major movie monster has been born out of something so truly terrifying and horrible--in the real world. Ten years after an unimaginable weapon was used on human beings, Godzilla was in theaters.

Presentation? Godzilla (and other Toho films) have a certain look. A certain sound. Music that transcends one particular film or scene. It draws the audience into the obviously fake-looking world of rubber monsters and cardboard cities. Whether Godzilla is emant to be taken seriously or not, Toho was not going to hold back and let the audience NOT respect Godzilla.

Or is it more cosmetic? A powerful character with a great design. Who fights an almost-endless array of beasts and creatures that often look just as awesome. And are just as intriguing.

Because he's GODZILLA and he's awesome. :D

Back