Keir Dullea as Red Spaceman

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It worked for R. Lee Ermey, that figure undoubtedly existed to cash in on "Full Metal Jacket" but unlike Ermey Dullea doesn't have any real-life claim to the outfit and accessories shown in this figure.

I'm willing to bet that this will be a generic Dullea figure without any of the 2001-specific stuff and they're merely showing him with a bunch of "grey market" stuff like the Twinch Squad suit and this $2000 pod as a suggestion for customizers.

The reality of the situation is that Dullea is free to license his likeness to anyone he sees fit but Warner Bros. and the Kubrick Estate are the ones who are in a position to release that suit and pod and that will happen when pigs fly.

Again, that's what the gray market is for. Companies have released figures of Jack Torrance and Alex, they just haven't done so legally and they only get away with it due to the small production runs in countries that are practically "anything goes" in regards to copyright.

In any case, a lot of people are going to be disappointed when this figure is released and it's just Keir Dullea in shorts and a t-shirt. That's all I'm saying.

Interesting thoughts... that would be a bummer if this is what the deal is.

BTW, this is the first time I've heard the term grey market... I like it :lecture

This is freakin great news, at last!
I saw the Twinch ones in Forbidden Planet London years ago (was it in about 2001?), they had em all, white, yellow, red and silver, but passed I as I thougt they were too spenny, I've kicked myself ever since!
But now, oh yeah, it shall be mine!!!

No way - that happened to me too! There have been times since then when I've wondered if I dreamed it.

How many of them actually made their way to collectors?

If you want some info on the cost of the pod, check out this link to OSW.

https://www.onesixthwarriors.com/forum/showthread.php?t=89848

furious genius (post#23) has some inside information. It has working lights.
Better hurry to get in on the Underwriter's Pod, or else it will go up 50%.

Before anyone jumps to conclusions - there's no statement, evidence or indication that this pod has anything to do with the one being referenced in the OSW thread.

Let's not get disinformation spread around.

Ah, I got my names messed up... I was thinking Scott Alexander was from GoHero.

Good looking out Dave.

hal-400.jpg

Quite a number of people have now said that they think this is the Twinch suit. Some kind of clarification from GoHero would be a good idea - I'm sure they'd want to disassociate themselves from Twinch, and also confirm that this item will be made (and we're not just getting a Keir Dullea figure).

Before anyone jumps to conclusions - there's no statement, evidence or indication that this pod has anything to do with the one being referenced in the OSW thread.

Let's not get disinformation spread around.

Dave, although you took very thorough precautions in the pod, I could see your lips move.

Captain Britain;1451162 How many of them actually made their way to collectors?[/QUOTE said:
He actually delivered quite a few to dealers (while ignoring the orders of individuals who had ordered directly). In fact I don't know of anyone who ordered directly receiving their's.

There was a dealer in the states -Eklyps, I believe, who got quite a few. I almost ordered from them, but since I'd already paid Jose directly, I held off. As far as I know, everyone who ordered from Eklyps got them, and these are the ones that turn up on ebay from time to time. I'm assuming the same happened with Forbidden Planet.

So sad that guy scammed so many... especially as 7-8 years later and the sets still look amazing.

Well aren't you a negative nelly. As someone who got burned by Twinch, I hope you're completely wrong - I'd hate to see Jose get any money, credit or accolades.

Not wanted to sound negative, only shared my concerns.

Yes, I know you and many others lost a lot of money on the Twinch Squad, terrible strory with a sad ending, that is also the reason why I become suspicious everytime I see a photo of the 2001 spaceman.

Like most of us I really hope we will see the Redsuit spaceman produced at an affordable price.

It seems official GoHero has the "2001:ASO" License from what I gather here.

That's just a blog reacting to their booth display like the rest of us are. They're not affiliated with GoHero in any way and they're covering all of the other companies with NYCC displays.

Ultimately they're no more credible than some internet poster saying "OMG THEY HAV THE 2001 LICANSE!"

Again, I suspect they're being a tad misleading in regards to what they're actually licensed to produced.

If you know anything about Kubrick you know this is a "when hell freezes over" scenario. You'll noticed that "2001: A Space Odyssey" appears nowhere in the display. That should tip you off right there.

It's nice to think that some toy company has cut through the problems and will be delivering a previously-unlicenseable property to collectors but there's every reason to be suspicious. It's an unproven upstart company promising something nobody else can do and all the while they're carefully avoiding using the actual name of the property. That's a huge red flag right there.

Dave Bowman appears in his Discovery astronaut suit in 2010 and the Pod appears in the background.
They can simply license the figure and pod from 2010, and the Kubrick estate can't say poop about it.
They could also make a model ship of the Discovery, and a HAL-9000 console! :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Dave Bowman appears in his Discovery astronaut suit in 2010 and the Pod appears in the background.
They can simply license the figure and pod from 2010, and the Kubrick estate can't say poop about it.
They could also make a model ship of the Discovery, and a HAL-9000 console! :D

But it doesn't say anything about a 2010 license either. With Kubrick and Clarke both dead, I'd assume that studio would have some say into whether product can be licensed from the film.

I think it's real. Steven just hasn't signed the License agreement yet. It makes absolutely no sense they would go through all the trouble to display these WIP figures at their booth without having a vested interest in it. Also, that Toy Site Publisher I'm sure is a friend of Steven's and asked about it at NYCC before he Published that information on his site.

So. I believe..

1) It's real

2) The License is pending Sigs so there has been no "Official" announcement.

But it doesn't say anything about a 2010 license either. With Kubrick and Clarke both dead, I'd assume that studio would have some say into whether product can be licensed from the film.

No it doesn't, but that may be forthcoming in an official announcement. There may also be an official 2001 comic coming out and this is licensed from that kinda like the Clash of the Titans and Sinbad figures.
So there is a way around the Kubrick licensing restrictions. :D

Warner Bros. will also side with the Kubrick estate by default.

Even if the rights are theirs to give they'll get the OK from his family before doing anything, even before the legalities enter into the equation.

Kubrick's first film "Fear and Desire" is technically public domain and Warner Bros. had nothing to do with it's production but in the past when repertory theaters have announced screenings they've found Warner Bros. threatening to cancel upcoming screenings of Warner films at the behest of the Kubrick estate.

His relationship with Warner Bros. is legendary and they currently own the rights to both "2001: A Space Odyssey" and "2010".

That said "2010" was made and does exist and if this stuff does appear in that movie (I've never bothered to watch it) I will concede that they could possibly get license to do merchandise that way.

But again, "Discovery Astronaut Keir Dullea" screams "WE DON'T ACTUALLY HAVE THE MOVIE RIGHTS!"

Back