Keir Dullea as Red Spaceman

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, the Buck Rogers Go-Hero figure is going for $175 on their site...so I would imagine Bowman to end up being more than that. :angelsmil

I don't want to dispute this, but let's not forget that the Buck Rogers comes in a rather luxurious individually numbered wooden box. In a more basic packaging, the price of Rogers would be comparable to the Flash Gordon figure. But yes, the Bowman space suit is undoubtedly costly. Let's hope we don't have to pay extra for a spiffy packaging on an already presumptively costly figure. Not that I mind a nice packaging. I really like the packaging concept of the Buck Rogers figure; I assume Steve went with this concept to give his first creation a special -landmark- accent.
Oh... and let's not forget, people should still be able to afford the Bowman figure. :D

dsc05179ji2.jpg

lmao @ the "Clash of the Titans" Perseus knock-off behind the Skeleton. Looks more like Sylvester Stallone than Harry Hamlin.
I think the sign says "Wrath of the Titan" :lol

Although the mechanical Owl Bubo looks cool.

Actually in better pictures it does look a lot like Hamlin, although it's not a movie based figure - it' licensed from Harryhausen and the comic books he's lent his name to.

kain4521 said:
Its not supposed to look like him this is based on Wrath of the Titans Comic.

ProgMatinee said:
You're kinda coming from a place of ignorance on that, its not a "knock off" because "Wrath of the Titans" is a comic book. But that said, I'm not too happy with the face either. Its too generic.

um.. no.

WRATHISSUE1coverB.jpg

WRATHJPAGE2.jpg

That's a comic book version of Harry Hamlin. Whether it's implied or not, that's the look the artists were going for. That figure at the convention does NOT look like a comic interpretation of the character. There's nothing comic-like about it. It's simply a way around the "Clash of the Titans" license. And it looks piss poor.

You and me both! And Darklord Dave...and...well...I'm sure the list is too many to name! :D

:rock :rock :rock oh, and :chew

I don't want to dispute this, but let's not forget that the Buck Rogers comes in a rather luxurious individually numbered wooden box. In a more basic packaging, the price of Rogers would be comparable to the Flash Gordon figure. But yes, the Bowman space suit is undoubtedly costly. Let's hope we don't have to pay extra for a spiffy packaging on an already presumptively costly figure. Not that I mind a nice packaging. I really like the packaging concept of the Buck Rogers figure; I assume Steve went with this concept to give his first creation a special -landmark- accent.
Oh... and let's not forget, people should still be able to afford the Bowman figure. :D

I'll take a plain white box if it means saving money.

Hell, i would take him in a plastic bag with a twist it if it would knock off a few 30-50 bucks! I appreciate the "mahogany-like-hand-rubbed-hand-carved-30-year-aged-" type of box, but id rather have a lower price. And that's all I got to say about that.

um.. no.

WRATHISSUE1coverB.jpg

WRATHJPAGE2.jpg

That's a comic book version of Harry Hamlin. Whether it's implied or not, that's the look the artists were going for. That figure at the convention does NOT look like a comic interpretation of the character. There's nothing comic-like about it. It's simply a way around the "Clash of the Titans" license. And it looks piss poor.

I spoke with Steve about this at SDCC and it's not supposed to look like Hamlin. He just wanted to have a cool looking Perseus without having to deal w/likeness issues. I'd much rather have the metal sword and metal BUBO(!!!) than Hamlin's likeness.

Also, keep in mind that this is a prototype and I have to say it looks great in person.

I imagine if there was enough interest we could always commission a Hamlin likeness... it would take awhile and add cost to the figure.

Perseus was never a need to have figure (even though I love the movie) but give me a Calibos and I'll be all over it :rock

It worked for R. Lee Ermey, that figure undoubtedly existed to cash in on "Full Metal Jacket" but unlike Ermey Dullea doesn't have any real-life claim to the outfit and accessories shown in this figure.

I'm willing to bet that this will be a generic Dullea figure without any of the 2001-specific stuff and they're merely showing him with a bunch of "grey market" stuff like the Twinch Squad suit and this $2000 pod as a suggestion for customizers.

The reality of the situation is that Dullea is free to license his likeness to anyone he sees fit but Warner Bros. and the Kubrick Estate are the ones who are in a position to release that suit and pod and that will happen when pigs fly.

Again, that's what the gray market is for. Companies have released figures of Jack Torrance and Alex, they just haven't done so legally and they only get away with it due to the small production runs in countries that are practically "anything goes" in regards to copyright.

In any case, a lot of people are going to be disappointed when this figure is released and it's just Keir Dullea in shorts and a t-shirt. That's all I'm saying.
I doubt this is what is going on here, simply because it's not Go Hero's style. Their releases seem to be mostly about detailed costumes and accessories, so I don't think they would have any interest in putting out a "Dullea in his skivvies" figure.

It remains to be seen what they've licensed from whom, and whether it will be enough to bring this product to market without running into any legal obstacles.

I'm now going to call my Congressman and advocate against any further ludicrous extensions of copyright terms, the terms in the U.S. should never have exceeded the 28 years + 28 year renewal of the Copyright Act of 1909.

Last edited:
It has been posted on another board that the Bowman displayed at NYCC IS wearing the Twinch Squad suit. This was used because the prototype for the new and improved suit was not finished before the factory shut down for Chinese New Year. So at least part of the mystery is solved.

It has been posted on another board that the Bowman displayed at NYCC IS wearing the Twinch Squad suit. This was used because the prototype for the new and improved suit was not finished before the factory shut down for Chinese New Year. So at least part of the mystery is solved.

that's awesome news. Signs keep pointing to this actually being released.

So Steve responded to my email - the Bowman and pod are Executive Replica products being developed by GoHero. ER should have a press release about it soon.

I invited Steve to pop in here too - hopefully he'll stop by.

So Steve responded to my email - the Bowman and pod are Executive Replica products being developed by GoHero. ER should have a press release about it soon.

I invited Steve to pop in here too - hopefully he'll stop by.

That's AWESOME Dave, thanks for this update!

So the pod sounds as though it's not the 'Captain Cardboard' $3000 model...Perhaps it will be a more 'affordable' price then. I'm hoping so, Bowman and pod are must haves for me...Amazing stuff!

:rock

Thanks for the info regarding the figure and EVA Pod, Dave.

I was almost certain that the EVA Pod was the Atomic City "Underwriter's Project" EVA Pod project, which I have been following the progress on for quite some time.

Thanks for the info regarding the figure and EVA Pod, Dave.

I was almost certain that the EVA Pod was the Atomic City "Underwriter's Project" EVA Pod project, which I have been following the progress on for quite some time.

Perhaps it is, we have to statement either way.

Back