DAMTOYS 78084 Operation Red Wings -NAVY SEALS SDV TEAM 1 Corpsman

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FlyAndFight

©Fly, All rights reserved
CF Supporter
Reaction score
Well, I've hit the slippery slope with modern military/operator figures and placed a pre-order for this one. (along with another figure and some loose parts...)

The Soldier Story "Medal of Honor" Voodoo figure really brought back some great memories of when I collected military figures as my main collection. It is an amazing figure to get into the military line, if one is looking to do so. You can see my other thread on that one for more info.

This figure is obviously a representation of Mark Walhberg who portrayed U.S. Navy SEAL Mark Luttrell in the film "Lone Survivor". Luttrell received the Navy Cross and Purple Heart for his actions in June 2005 against Taliban fighters during "Operation Red Wings" in which he was the lone survivor.

Here is a pic of the figure and I will update this thread with a review and pics once I receive it.

27__38939.1616407173.jpg

I see myself selling off some figures just to help cushion the financial blow...

I actually just ordered one of these last week myself. This and the Matt Axelson “sniper” figure. Prototypes look awesome. Not sure this has been released though. It appears to be running late since most places look like it’s still on pre-order status where available.

Where did you order from? I got mine from Giantoy.

I ordered from Giantoy, as well.

As far as the set of figures goes, as good as they are, I don't want more than one representation, at this time. Unlike "Saving Private Ryan", where I'm all in on the squad, as well as Ryan.

I ordered from Giantoy, as well.

As far as the set of figures goes, as good as they are, I don't want more than one representation, at this time. Unlike "Saving Private Ryan", where I'm all in on the squad, as well as Ryan.
It’s actually funny, I never wanted more than Captain Miller from Saving Private Ryan, but for the Red Wings figures I’d like to get all four because they were real soldiers, even if these are designed off the movie.

I did get the Danny Dietz figure from this line already and it’s really a great looking figure with a ton of accessories so I’m not regretting deciding to go for the whole time since it’s just four guys. That said, it seems like the Mike Murphy will be rather hard to find for a good price, but I’ll keep searching.

It’s actually funny, I never wanted more than Captain Miller from Saving Private Ryan, but for the Red Wings figures I’d like to get all four because they were real soldiers, even if these are designed off the movie.

I did get the Danny Dietz figure from this line already and it’s really a great looking figure with a ton of accessories so I’m not regretting deciding to go for the whole time since it’s just four guys. That said, it seems like the Mike Murphy will be rather hard to find for a good price, but I’ll keep searching.

I agree with you. I have several figures based on the actual soldiers. One of my most prized figures is the Chris Kyle Vol. 3 Deluxe figure. But in most cases, we only get the option of the actor portraying the heroes. But you are right, this set would make a great display. Now you've got me thinking... geesh...

I agree with you. I have several figures based on the actual soldiers. One of my most prized figures is the Chris Kyle Vol. 3 Deluxe figure. But in most cases, we only get the option of the actor portraying the heroes. But you are right, this set would make a great display. Now you've got me thinking... geesh...
Haha…I jumped on all three because I realized how hard the Murphy was going to be to track down. If those Murph figures were still available I doubt I would have moved as quickly on them as I did. I think all four of them together will look awesome.

I think I’m going to pick up one of those Damtoys 31st Recon Unit Marines to be a placeholder until I track down a Murphy. I’m really, really impressed at how good their Marines and Delta soldiers look.

--

The Chris Kyle figure from BlackOps Toys, Easy&SImple, MSE from a few years ago is a holy grail 1:6 real life operator/commemorative figure in my collection. I was very fortunate to purchase it when it was released and also bought the add-on/bonus weapons pack for it as well. I never bothered with/cared for the head sculpt based on the actor's likeness from the film. I prefer the one based on the genuine man himself.

Haha…I jumped on all three because I realized how hard the Murphy was going to be to track down. If those Murph figures were still available I doubt I would have moved as quickly on them as I did. I think all four of them together will look awesome.

I think I’m going to pick up one of those Damtoys 31st Recon Unit Marines to be a placeholder until I track down a Murphy. I’m really, really impressed at how good their Marines and Delta soldiers look.
--

IMHO, DAMTOYS upped and set the new current benchmark in terms of authenticity and design with quality when it comes to 1:6 military hands down and exceeded prior benchmarks set by other brands that cannot keep up and/or lapsed in design and quality (i.e., Soldier Story).

I own multitudes of their 1:6 modern Russian figures. I don't care for the politics given the current geo-political climate. The figures "as is" are awesome along with the US figures produced by them in my collection.

--

The Chris Kyle figure from BlackOps Toys, Easy&SImple, MSE from a few years ago is a holy grail 1:6 real life operator/commemorative figure in my collection. I was very fortunate to purchase it when it was released and also bought the add-on/bonus weapons pack for it as well. I never bothered with/cared for the head sculpt based on the actor's likeness from the film. I prefer the one based on the genuine man himself.

That's the one that I have. A treasured commemorative set.

I would like to see some more of these types of releases and include WWII, Korea and Vietnam heroes, as well.

There are a number of Luftwaffe figures based on real pilots (which I have) but very few Allies. I do have Clarence "Bud" Anderson (P-51D Ace) from Hobby Masters and the venerable Eddie Rickenbacker from Sideshow but no others, that I can recall. I've made some custom figures in order to fill in the void.

--

IMHO, DAMTOYS upped and set the new current benchmark in terms of authenticity and design with quality when it comes to 1:6 military hands down and exceeded prior benchmarks set by other brands that cannot keep up and/or lapsed in design and quality (i.e., Soldier Story).

I own multitudes of their 1:6 modern Russian figures. I don't care for the politics given the current geo-political climate. The figures "as is" are awesome along with the US figures produced by them in my collection.
As far as Russia, I feel for the people of Ukraine and think this is a very unjust war, but it's not like Damtoys suddenly decided to make Russian soldiers as a result of the invasion. They've been making them for years, so I don't really have an issue with them putting out more. I have no interest in collecting them but they look really good.

I agree about Damtoys. Until I started looking into this Red Wings squad, I had no idea how good the military figures they make look. This is the Marine I was referring to:

1648596697867.png
1648596736340.png

1648596756626.png

It's incredible how much stuff comes with it and how good everything looks from top to bottom. I wasn't planning on being a big military collector, but it's hard not to see something like this and instantly want it.

Unfortunately, DAM seems pretty slow as getting stuff out, not sure if that's just due to the pandemic or just how they operate, but nothing Hot Toys or LIM Toys collectors aren't used to. Seems like ThreeZero is one of the only brands that actually puts out good quality on schedule these days.

In any case, good to see a little military buzz around here, especially as someone just dipping his feet in for the first time.

Unfortunately, DAM seems pretty slow as getting stuff out, not sure if that's just due to the pandemic or just how they operate, but nothing Hot Toys or LIM Toys collectors aren't used to. Seems like ThreeZero is one of the only brands that actually puts out good quality on schedule these days.

In any case, good to see a little military buzz around here, especially as someone just dipping his feet in for the first time.
--

The past few years (before COVID) taught me never to believe, depend on, or trust ANY announced release estimate/schedule.

In the grand scheme of things, I am not in any hurry for anything 1:6 to be produced and released on time.

As long as the final in hand production design and quality is rock solid, I'm good with delays whether it's a 1:6 military figure or non-1:6 military offering.

I'm not justifying/rationalizing how and why virtually all brands are late and slow. The vendors I buy from are reliable and trustworthy and I take precautions in terms payment method to protect myself based on experience.

There are always new upcoming 1:6 offerings to pre-order and order once it's in stock.

That's my perspective and I don't demand or expect anyone to take heed of it. Less stress for me. I have other priorities that doesn't warrant me fretting about when whatever 1:6 offering is supposed to be released/why it's taking so long.

That is an excellent looking figure, RandomHero. It is too similar to the "Voodoo" figure, so I will pass on it.

I have to say that I've hit the slippery slope this week and have ordered a couple more figures:

- Marc Lee - Seal Team 3 Charlie Platoon Deluxe Commemorative Figure
Marc Lee 1.jpg

Easy&Simple Special Mission Unit Tier1 Operator Part XII The Evacuation Team (Ver. C)
36bf9b3e-df6c-42b0-a71f-b3838f7fcfd1.jpg

Once they arrive, I'll open up a new thread dedicated to each figure.

I did go back through the stash and found several other military themed figures. I'm so glad I have them and don't need to go in search of them, as their prices have gone through the roof...

@FlyAndFight

You've been to DAMTOY's site right? The link below shows all the 1:6 military figures they produced thus far for the ELITE SERIES MODERN MILITARY line.

http://www.damtoys.com/series.html?id=24
This one is a favorite of mine.

http://www.damtoys.com/product-detail.html?id=41
I purchased a case (six pieces) of him years ago. Opened one and kept the rest as is. The price for it gone up considerably. It can still be found, but pricey and you know the rest (i.e., those who want it, but go the low ball route, etc.). I get unwanted solicitations every now and then ranging from what I paid or less. Lots of cheapskates in the hobby, but that's nothing new.

Enjoy your rekindled interest and look forward to your reviews/set up.

What you're experiencing is truly an enjoyment and pleasure that get lost at times by many within the hobby.

@FlyAndFight

You've been to DAMTOY's site right? The link below shows all the 1:6 military figures they produced thus far for the ELITE SERIES MODERN MILITARY line.

http://www.damtoys.com/series.html?id=24
This one is a favorite of mine.

http://www.damtoys.com/product-detail.html?id=41
I purchased a case (six pieces) of him years ago. Opened one and kept the rest as is. The price for it gone up considerably. It can still be found, but pricey and you know the rest (i.e., those who want it, but go the low ball route, etc.). I get unwanted solicitations every now and then ranging from what I paid or less. Lots of cheapskates in the hobby, but that's nothing new.

Enjoy your rekindled interest and look forward to your reviews/set up.

What you're experiencing is truly an enjoyment and pleasure that get lost at times by many within the hobby.
Thanks for the link to DAM Toys. It didn't even occur to me to check out their website. I was just looking at what was available at the different online shops.

Love that action expression on that figure. It just begs to be displayed in some type of diorama setup.

It really is nice to come full 360 degrees on the type of figures that originally got me into the 1/6 scaled hobby. I remember you from the old OSW forum and several other forums, including some that existed even before that. I have a ton of reference photos saved from the "old crew" who I'm not even sure if they are still around. (Fujico, Kaz, Tippytoe, Payneja, Crisibabe, Frankenstein, Pvt McLeod, and so many others.)

It isn't just the themes but also the fidelity of detailing that pulls me in. There's also the historical significance that no fictional character can capture.

I remember you from the old OSW forum and several other forums, including some that existed even before that.
--

I remember you as well. You probably remember me as being annoying hellraiser from back in the day to put it mildly. With age comes realization and slowing down with perspective.

Nowadays, the OSW is a shell of its former self. I'll leave it at that.

Many of the "old" forums/groups from 1998 to 2010 no longer exist/splintered into niche circles/forums/groups online and in social media.

This forum too (DUH!) have changed.

Your comment about coming full circle is proof how collectors eventually return to what piqued their interest in the 1:6 hobby.

I started with 1:6 military figures (i.e., The Ultimate Solider, GI JOE, DML, BBI, etc.) and moved to 1:6 female figures (GI JANE, CY GIRLs, PHICEN/TBL, etc.) and non-military 1:6 figures, accessories, outfits, etc. from different brands.

Nowadays, my focus is primarily 1:6 female figures with occasional forays into other themes. I still collect some military, but not as much as I did. I still pick up old school TUS, etc. from time to time if the price is right.

I haven't come full circle per say as my collecting is always constant and varies in quantity. I'll always find familiarity with 1:6 military figures until the day I no longer collect.

You probably know this already, but DAMTOYS is the current new standard for authenticity, design, and quality for 1:6 military figures along with Easy & Simple in second place. Everyone else varies, but there are a few that provides offerings the aforementioned two don't. 1:6 variety is the spice of the 1:6 hobby.

Just watched some clips and heard the soundtrack again, now I really want to get the entire team but Murphy is sold out everywhere and the only place that has him is eBay from sketchy Chinese sellers, Does anybody have any experience with those sellers that have very similar prices and store pages? one has 9 in stock of Murphy so I don't know just curious.

Back