JUSTICE LEAGUE movie

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Christopher Nolan's Justice League?

Who says a Nolan JLA film has to be a gritty take on it?

Inception isn't gritty :dunno

Also, he co-wrote Man of Steel, I guess we shall see next year whether his Superman is too gritty for people's tastes.

Maybe not gritty, but it had a darker wash and theme to it, which seems to be Nolan's style. I just don't see the JLA working if it's that brooding. :huh

To which I say - we will have a pretty decent idea of Nolan's versatility (as far as adapting different types of superheroes goes, at least as a writer) once we see MoS

Maybe not gritty, but it had a darker wash and theme to it, which seems to be Nolan's style. I just don't see the JLA working if it's that brooding. :huh

Agreed. Love his movies, but only Batman needs to be a brooding character. I think he was drawn to Batman because he's brooding. It's not like he took a bright, colorful, happy go lucky character and drastically changed him into something we didn't expect.

As for MoS, didn't that begin as a "if I were to make a Superman movie, this is how I'd do it" sorta convo between the Nolan's and Goyer while working on the story for TDKR? I think alot of the fascination for this new Superman movie will be more on the ublic's reaction to Superman himself. That's what I remember reading while following TDKR news. Not at all excited for or following MoS but read a few things here and there while looking up stuff regarding TDKR.

I don't know about the darker wash, DC Comics seems to be seriously in love with it's New 52 and even Man of Steel's Superman mimics the costume save the difference in belt coloring. If you read Geoff Johns' first arc in Justice League it has a very Nolanesque vibe in the artwork and feel which supposedly is what they are looking towards for this.

I don't think Nolan will end up directing either, I think he'll produce and probably help write it but it's completely possible if you look at the changes to DC Comics and who would be making those judgment calls on that side of it.

I think they still would've been better off building a film stable before attempting JLA. People won't be as emotionally invested in the characters for it to pull off an Avengers-type of fan appreciation.

I think they still would've been better off building a film stable before attempting JLA. People won't be as emotionally invested in the characters for it to pull off an Avengers-type of fan appreciation.

Agreed. As fun and enjoyable as "Avengers" was, I am sure plenty people could acknowledge it would not be as good of a movie without all the background and buildup in the previous Marvel Studios films.

I thought doing a JLA film first and then solo films could work, but now I'm convinced it wouldn't. Especially for non-comic book fans who only know these characters through the movies.

Last edited:

Agreed. As fun and enjoyable as "Avengers" was, I am sure plenty people could acknowledge it. Would not be as good of a movie without all the background and buildup in the previous Marvel Studios films.

I thought doing a JLA film first and then solo films could work, but now I'm convinced it wouldn't. Especially for non-comic book fans who only know these characters through the movies.

Everybody, from fans to Joss have openly admitted this, and the success of Avengers is a _____slap to WB who've been pointing and laughing at the concept since Iron Man. Only now, after the slap, it ain't so funny to WB anymore (hence the "desperation" remark). :lol

DC has a bit of an advantage to the fact that people know their core characters: Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, The Flash and to a lesser extent Green Lantern, Aquaman. The only real obscure one for most would be Martian Manhunter.

Before 2008 the large majority of the general public had no clue who Iron Man, Thor, Black Widow and Hawkeye were. Iron Man was a B list/C list consideration even from Marvel's own mouth before then. Before 2008 the only Marvel heroes that were readily known were Spider-Man, The Hulk, Wolverine maybe Captain America.

Marvel had to set a background whereas DC doesn't exactly have to because their characters are easily within the mindset of the Pop Culture. It isn't a lost cause because DC doesn't have to follow Marvel's path but they have a very high standard they'll have to meet.

Everybody, from fans to Joss have openly admitted this, and the success of Avengers is a _____slap to WB who've been pointing and laughing at the concept since Iron Man. Only now, after the slap, it ain't so funny to WB anymore (hence the "desperation" remark). :lol

I didn't mean to undermine Avengers with my comment. I was just trying to draw a parallel how DC should proceed. I am happy it took them so long to get going on JLA and that they didn't impose on Nolan's Baman films like Sony did to Raimi's Spidey films. We'll have one awesome Batman trilogy that stands alone outside of the larger DCU for Batman fans and a DCU film series to appease comic fans.

DC has a bit of an advantage to the fact that people know their core characters: Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, The Flash and to a lesser extent Green Lantern, Aquaman. The only real obscure one for most would be Martian Manhunter.

Before 2008 the large majority of the general public had no clue who Iron Man, Thor, Black Widow and Hawkeye were. Iron Man was a B list/C list consideration even from Marvel's own mouth before then. Before 2008 the only Marvel heroes that were readily known were Spider-Man, The Hulk, Wolverine maybe Captain America.

Marvel had to set a background whereas DC doesn't exactly have to because their characters are easily within the mindset of the Pop Culture. It isn't a lost cause because DC doesn't have to follow Marvel's path but they have a very high standard they'll have to meet.

But you're just not going to get that much of an emotional investment in a film like JLA without the build-up. Marvel's worked because the audience has, for the most part, followed the journey all the way from a single hero, through the debut of others, to this great climax. We know DC's characters, but won't be emotionally invested in the new film renditions enough to care nearly as much. And arguably, we'll care even less about Batman, still being more familiar with Nolan's trilogy which won't have been as far back as, say, Burton's.

Of course not but you will for the first time see the 7 biggest DC characters on-screen working together. People have been clammering for Superman and Batman to be on-screen together for years and that alone will bring people in, they just have to have a great story to keep people there.

But you're just not going to get that much of an emotional investment in a film like JLA without the build-up. Marvel's worked because the audience has, for the most part, followed the ball from the 4-play of 1st and 2nd base, all the way through the homer/climax. :lol

:goodpost:

Especially for non-comic readers. Sure, I know who they all are and what they look like, but apart from Batman and Superman, I don't think general audiences know much more about them other than what their costumes look like, their super powers, and possibly their altarego. My only experience with JLA came from that '60s cartoon "Superfriends" and I know very little about them outside of that, any live-action movies, and a few Wikipedia articles.

Well, you'll have:

- Superman, introduced in MoS
- Rebooted Batman (I assume it will come before JLA)
- GL - they could use the GL film as canon, and just recast (like Norton/Ruffalo Hulk), or just get Reynolds returning. I liked him in the role, despite shortcomings of the film.
- WW - generally a well known character, could be introduced directly on film
- Similarly each of Aquaman, Green Arrow and Flash have had exposure to general audiences. Flash had his own show in the early 90s while Green Arrow and Aquaman would be known to the Smallville crowd at the very least

SO you're just left with Martian Manhunter or anyone else they include instead of him. It won't be easy, but I can see it working if written well.

Also, another thing which I was discussing with nam separately - they really need to make something that is different from Avengers, and different from Watchmen (both being examples of multiple heroes in a single film).
Using another Alien invasion as the bad guys could be seen as much too similar to Avengers and might get really stale really fast.
Nam had a pretty interesting idea though to perhaps have Batman as the quasi-villain. Something along the lines of 'The OMAC Project' storyline. It could be really really interesting and it will show the strengths and weaknesses of each of the members.

It would also be right up Nolan's alley in terms of exploring moral and ethical issues, if he's developing the story.

I don't expect he would direct.

EDIT: Missed a bunch of posts, seems some of what I said has already been posted haha

I didn't mean to undermine Avengers with my comment. I was just trying to draw a parallel how DC should proceed. I am happy it took them so long to get going on JLA and that they didn't impose on Nolan's Baman films like Sony did to Raimi's Spidey films. We'll have one awesome Batman trilogy that stands alone outside of the larger DCU for Batman fans and a DCU film series to appease comic fans.

The problem is to get the fans to be appeased by the DCU films. As I said in the last post, the phenom comes from moviegoers being completely invested in the characters to care about what happens to them in Avengers. If this is true, WB's shooting straight for the money shot with a limpdick effort at 4-play.

:goodpost:

Especially for non-comic readers. Sure, I know who they all are and what they look like, but apart from Batman and Superman, I don't think general audiences know much more about them other than what their costumes look like, their super powers, and possibly their altarego. My only experience with JLA came from that '60s cartoon "Superfriends" and I know very little about them outside of that, any live-action movies, and a few Wikipedia articles.

That's you. Wonder Woman, Superman and Batman have been part of the Pop Culture for decades ranging from panties to lunchboxes to phone covers. None of the Marvel Studios characters had that since they sold off the ones that had that kind of recognition. DC has had not only cartoons and a vast amount of merchandising pushing them but has been sprinkling them in various projects like The Big Bang Theory. The comparisons between The Avengers and The JLA aren't equal by a mile, what you can argue is that they'll have a helleva job getting people invested right off the bat whereas people have been invested in this Avengers film since 2008.

I don't understand why DC has never been able to capitalize on Wonder Woman since the TV series decades ago. She has a great and in some cases almost cult like fanbase, as long as they don't butcher her, I think they could make a good show based on her.

That's you. Wonder Woman, Superman and Batman have been part of the Pop Culture for decades ranging from panties to lunchboxes to phone covers. None of the Marvel Studios characters had that since they sold off the ones that had that kind of recognition. DC has had not only cartoons and a vast amount of merchandising pushing them but has been sprinkling them in various projects like The Big Bang Theory. The comparisons between The Avengers and The JLA aren't equal by a mile, what you can argue is that they'll have a helleva job getting people invested right off the bat whereas people have been invested in this Avengers film since 2008.

I think we're on the same page. I don't get how merchandising or kids cartoons would make average movie going adults that dont read comics or watch comic related cartoons more knowledgable of the characters. Essentially, that'd do exactly what I said: They'd recognize them by their costume, know their powers, and maybe their altaregos. But you don't necessarily know about their origins, conflicts, motives, villains, love interests, etc from those things. That's why lead up movies would work so well. Once we know all of that and have had time dedicated to each hero, then I could care about them all on screen at once.

Back