Justice League Movie (Nov 17th, 2017)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Question for Superman fans, what's the definitive Superman trade paperback? With Batman the default seems to always be Year One or The Dark Knight Returns, is there an equivalent for Superman? What about Wonder Woman?

People often bring up "All-Star Superman" as of one the must read Superman story.

Definitely All Star Superman bar none.
:exactly: :goodpost:

My nica.

It like a Whatever Happened To The Man Of Tomorrow but good.

Better written, more original and more sophisticated too.

Exquisite art as well.

Pure Silver Age extravaganza.

Lex+Luthor+All-Star+Superman.jpg

There are many good Supes PBs, but if you only had to read one, this is it.

all-star-superman-1.jpg

Question for Superman fans, what's the definitive Superman trade paperback? With Batman the default seems to always be Year One or The Dark Knight Returns, is there an equivalent for Superman? What about Wonder Woman?

Not a Superman TPB, but A Death in the Family got me back into comics and into Batman/Superman in a big way. Features the death of Robin, and Superman appears in the third act, causing tension with Bats.

The Dark Knight...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It like a Whatever Happened To The Man Of Tomorrow but good.

Better written, more original and more sophisticated too.

Staring-Confused-Ron-Swanson.gif

All Star Superman is OK, but the Alan Moore stuff is brilliant. Not just the Man of Tomorrow, but "For the Man Who Has Everything" from the Superman annual, by Moore and Gibbons!

220px-Fortheman.jpg

Superman stand-alone stories weren't always great, but the Man of Steel mini-series, and ongoing Superman series, both by John Byrne in the aftermath of Crisis were both quite good. Easily the best Superman series I've read was this, though:

1118883.jpg

611267.jpg

Just for the record... My fav Batman is "The Long Halloween"

My Fav Superman.. "The Dark Knight Returns" :lol

Staring-Confused-Ron-Swanson.gif

All Star Superman is OK, but the Alan Moore stuff is brilliant. Not just the Man of Tomorrow, but "For the Man Who Has Everything" from the Superman annual, by Moore and Gibbons!

220px-Fortheman.jpg
Not just ok, it's the best one, by far. I like Moore's stuff, but when it comes to writing and understanding Supes, he played second fiddle to Morrison, and WEHTTMOT is just bad, even if it was intended as non-canon. Eloquent as usual though.

For The Man Who Has Everything is great!

Their enmity can only measured in the skipped heartbeats of distant seismographs

Much better than Whatever Happened To The Man Of Tomorrow aka Superman's TDKRises, between that and The Killing Joke, I don't know which one is more overrated.

Superman stand-alone stories weren't always great, but the Man of Steel mini-series, and ongoing Superman series, both by John Byrne in the aftermath of Crisis were both quite good. Easily the best Superman series I've read was this, though:

https://d1466nnw0ex81e.cloudfront.net/n_iv/600/1118883.jpg[img]
[img]https://d1466nnw0ex81e.cloudfront.net/n_iv/600/611267.jpg[img][/QUOTE]
[I]Some[/I] people often say the best Superman stories are the ones without Superman in it, that statement is a lie, but this is among the best of said stories.

Moore is above Byrne in my Supes writer "rank" though.

23795043_1805874236152218_6047872474459721611_n.jpg

But then...

Ranked by 5-day

1.) Coco (DIS), 3,987 theaters / $13.3M Wed. (includes $2.3M previews) /$9M Thursday/ $18.66M Friday/ 3-day cume: $48.4M /5-day:$70.6M Wk 1

2.) Justice League (WB), 4,051 theaters / $10.45M Wed/$8.5M Thursday/$16.4M Fri/ 3-day cume: $40.8M (-56%)/5-day:$59.9M/Total: $171.8M/ Wk 2

Last edited:
Good.

You guys remember that BvS prayer group?

Apparently there's another one, but with the intentions of making "DC Fans" go see this movie 6 more times, to save the DCEU, and take friends too if possible... What deranged minds.

Good.

You guys remember that BvS prayer group?

Apparently there's another one, but with the intentions of making "DC Fans" go see this movie 6 more times, to save the DCEU, and take friends too if possible... What deranged minds.

I can't laugh its this. Its kinda sad(lol). Looks like JL is breaking lots of records. All the negative ones.

I wonder how many cbm out there that lost the top spot after 1 weekend. Ouch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Superman looks weird, cape too short, outfit looks like pajamas, and the story is anticlimactic.

It does a decent job of trying to modernize Silver Age/Bronze Age concepts, but only just manages to prove just how misguided such an attempt is. It's like trying to modernize/serious-ify Mickey Mouse comics. It just ain't gonna work.

Superman comes off as a walking plot device/abstract concept rather than an actual character, the central plot point is never really explored in any meaningful way other than some occasional pontificating from the Man Of Steel, the entire story reads like a summary of "Superman's Greatest Hits!", cool sci-fi concepts are introduced and rarely followed through on, or used as a joke, the dialogue is OK-ish and Lex Luthor's characterization jumps rapidly from "Saint" to "Devil" and back again.

There are way better Superman stories.

It does a decent job of trying to modernize Silver Age/Bronze Age concepts, but only just manages to prove just how misguided such an attempt is. It's like trying to modernize/serious-ify Mickey Mouse comics. It just ain't gonna work.

Superman comes off as a walking plot device/abstract concept rather than an actual character, the central plot point is never really explored in any meaningful way other than some occasional pontificating from the Man Of Steel, the entire story reads like a summary of "Superman's Greatest Hits!", cool sci-fi concepts are introduced and rarely followed through on, or used as a joke, the dialogue is OK-ish and Lex Luthor's characterization jumps rapidly from "Saint" to "Devil" and back again.

Oh, I just saw your update.

There wasn't anything that 'didn't work' or was 'goofy' about All-Star Superman. Morrison achieved what he set out to accomplish with flying colours, and along with Frank Quitely produced a timeless and classic Superman story, that is more progressive and forward-thinking than anything being done with the character right now. I would go so far as to say that Grant Morrison, from a writers perspective, single-handedly brought Superman into the modern era and he did it without succumbing to the frankly boring hyper-realism and depressing cynicism of contemporary Super-hero (and other) literature.

Back