jus watched fantastic four: rise of the silver surfer

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just saw it and thought it was better than the first. At least there are fewer "well, that was dumb" moments in this one. And I like the character development here - it's not particularly deep, but it's there. The main problem is the plot - they really need to spend more time developing an actual story.

As for the cloud thing - I've always had problems with a devourer of worlds as an anthropomorphic giant in a purple pope hat - so I had no problems with it.

I guess I am in the minority here but I actually REALLY liked this movie. Was there some problems with the movie? Yes, but to me they were not that major and I just completely enjoyed this movie. There were several funny parts, Silver Surfer looked awesome and I completely loved Jessica Alba. I have seen all of the big movies and even some of the smaller movies this year and so far this is one of my favorites maybe even my favorite so far.

JediFirefly, to quote a great man, "Have faith, truebeliever." I LOVED The Rise Of The Silver Surfer. I was entertained in the Classic Marvel Manner. I think the Surfer may be the best new character of the summer.

The Surfer looked awesome as CG, but I thought he looked great when he lost The Power Cosmic. The combination of Doug Jones' body language and Larry Fishburne's voice really brought the Surfer to life. They conveyed his power as well as the sadness in his voice and his eyes when Susan was asking his name.
Doctor Doom was the Doom I always expected. He was spot on in his likeness and his mannerisms. I mean, shouldn't Marvels' greatest villain, the source material for such characters as Darth Vader, finally get the onscreen treatment he deserves?
The action was great and the Thing and Johnny were great as comic relief.

Was it Citizen Kane? No
Was it Casablanca? No
BUT, if you were expecting Orsen Welles and Humphrey Bogart then you are looking in the wrong direction.
Also, do you mail you electric bill payment to the phone company?

The real question is: "Were you not entertained?"

I liked it much better than the first. Gave Reed a reason to exist and fleshed him out a bit. Couldn't take the Tammy Faye Baker slut putty make-up job on Jessica though. That is one chick that needs no make-up.

piccolodaimaoh said:
Doctor Doom was the Doom I always expected. He was spot on in his likeness and his mannerisms.
No, he wasn't. Movie Doom is as far from DOOM as you can get...have you ever read any material with Doom? Doom would NEVER shout one-liners in battle.

I mean, shouldn't Marvels' greatest villain, the source material for such characters as Darth Vader, finally get the onscreen treatment he deserves?
Yea, he should...hopefully one day it'll happen.:monkey2

I liked it. I didn't care much for Galactacloud though. They were going in the right direction with Doom at the begining, and then he met the Surfer. Doom should have stayed messed up and burnt. The outfit he wears at the end is a move in the right direction to comic Doom, but they still haven't quite made it there yet. His voice has got to be dubbed. Morpheus should have done his voice in the mask and let Doug Jones do the Surfer. Julian just doesn't have the deep, dark voice doom needs (like Vader). Hopefully we will see Doom portrayed better the third time around (if there is one :eek: ) I'm sure we will at least see the surfer again though.

My biggest complaint: Where the heck are the rest of the heroes? The entire planet is about to get eaten the Spidey and the X-Men are nowhere to be found? The one thing ALL of the Marvel films lack is that "Marvel Universe" where every hero is in the same world as eachother. They really should have picked one studio or put some clause in the contracts that the heros could cross-over. I just don't buy that the Fantastic Four were the only heroes trying to save the planet :rolleyes:

I thought it was great, the Surfer was awesome and everyone else really owned their characters, I too also thought that Galactus was handled very well. I actually enjoyed the first movie and think this this one was much better.

tomandshell said:
Whatever happened to Dr. Doom? That story line was left wide open.

He just got thrown into the ocean. A wrap up with him (like in the first film) would have been better than the Surfer floating through space. :rolleyes:

So I finally saw the first one last night, aside from Doom being all wrong it was watchable. Might watch the second one or wait it out until DVD.

Regarding the rest of the Marvel universe - obviously they can't have Spidey and the Hulk pop their heads in, there just isn't that much time in a 2 hr movie. But who is Dr. Jeff Wagner? Couldn't that have been Dr. Hank Pym or Tony Stark? A little nod to the fanboys couldn't hurt.

Monk said:
Tim Story is a waste of air. He's right up there with that hack that directed AVP and the Resident Evil films. Someone needs to deny them access to their scissors and crayons. :emperor

Before comic book movies can be taken seriously, they need to be helmed by directors who are going to treat them seriously. That means that the directors will be required to do something more to the films than to make them "uber-cool." Special effects and explosions are just masturbatory. There needs to be some serious character development, or something about the characters or the story with which we can all get in touch internally.

Any idiot can tell a bunch of artists to design a cool-looking Surfer and make him run rings around The Human Torch for 90 minutes in NYC. That takes no talent at all.

But without something more, comic book films are destined to be, at most, a flash in the pan, and, eventually, an embarrassing memory.

But you gotta look at it from the point of view from the "BIG WIGS" of Hollyweird...

They need to MAKE profit. Comic book based films make money regardless of the quality, so I honestly think that's why most are crap.

The top 5 BY FAR out of the comic book films are:

1 - Batman Begins

2 - V for Vendetta

3 - 300

4 - Spider-Man

5 - Blade

That's how I'd rank them.

:monkey3

(The #1 spot will be going to Iron Man when it hits theaters :monkey1)

Look at them. All done VERY well. Great acting, true to the source material, great action, great FX and best of all, I think the directors of said films REALLY CARE about the movies they make.

They know they are beloved stories / characters by legions of fans, and they want to do them justice.

They work very hard on making sure they deliver a experience that brings the greatness of the comics to the screen.

They really want the translation in most fan's eyes to feel seamless.

People just have to learn to boycott crap comic book films and, like you said, these companies should get some balls and say:

"Does so and so director REALLY care about the universe of (superhero's name here). Will he work the hardest to make sure the films stays true to the source material?"

If they answer no to themselves on any of the points I mentioned, the directing duties had better damn well go to somebody who CARES.

FIN

:chew

Buttmunch said:
My biggest complaint: Where the heck are the rest of the heroes? The entire planet is about to get eaten the Spidey and the X-Men are nowhere to be found? The one thing ALL of the Marvel films lack is that "Marvel Universe" where every hero is in the same world as eachother. They really should have picked one studio or put some clause in the contracts that the heros could cross-over. I just don't buy that the Fantastic Four were the only heroes trying to save the planet :rolleyes:

I have said this sooooo many times it's not even funny.

I agree with you 1000%

Trouble though, is that a lot of the "bigger" Marvel peeps haven't found real-life actors yet.

Sure Edward Norton, Robert Downey, Tobey, X-Men and co. could have had a spot in there, but like you said...A BIGGER majority of Marvel's elite should stand up for the planet in the event Galactus shows up.

Can't just have a few in there. You would need most of em'.

I think in Alex Ross' comic "Marvels" he kinda shows/explains that at the time of the "Galactus Triology" in Marvel, that other Superheros were tied up. Meaning that during the month that those issues were released, at the same time in the Avengers comics they were in space (or underground) or something (I forget) BUT it shows that in the early Marvel Universe, things really ran parallel and the reason no one else could help was they didn't even know cause they were in the middle of a crisis too. It's really a cool comic and shows how well thought out the early Marvel days were.

talonkard044 said:
But you gotta look at it from the point of view from the "BIG WIGS" of Hollyweird...

They need to MAKE profit. Comic book based films make money regardless of the quality, so I honestly think that's why most are crap.

The top 5 BY FAR out of the comic book films are:

1 - Batman Begins

2 - V for Vendetta

3 - 300

4 - Spider-Man

5 - Blade

That's how I'd rank them.

:monkey3

(The #1 spot will be going to Iron Man when it hits theaters :monkey1)

Look at them. All done VERY well. Great acting, true to the source material, great action, great FX and best of all, I think the directors of said films REALLY CARE about the movies they make.

They know they are beloved stories / characters by legions of fans, and they want to do them justice.

They work very hard on making sure they deliver a experience that brings the greatness of the comics to the screen.

They really want the translation in most fan's eyes to feel seamless.

People just have to learn to boycott crap comic book films and, like you said, these companies should get some balls and say:

"Does so and so director REALLY care about the universe of (superhero's name here). Will he work the hardest to make sure the films stays true to the source material?"

If they answer no to themselves on any of the points I mentioned, the directing duties had better damn well go to somebody who CARES.
FIN

:chew

:rock:rock:rock How come Kevin Smith hasn't made one yet, he's a comicbook fan and would most definately make a great movie that's faithfull to the comic.

IronFingaz said:
:rock:rock:rock How come Kevin Smith hasn't made one yet, he's a comicbook fan and would most definately make a great movie that's faithfull to the comic.

He should have directed Daredevil. I thought his run was pretty decent.

Instead he got a small bit part in the movie...

Back