Action Figure JUMP Jet Pack

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice work. Any pics of a figure holding it?

Not as of yet. There will be one next posting. I took many steps to scaling the 3 3/4" version to 1/6 scale. From the tip of the barrel to the back of the arm support/brace, it is about 4 1/16". The concept of it being an assessary for a figure & working with a figure (i.e. holding it) was taken in consideration from the start. As much as I tried to remain faithful to the original design, the straight "broomstick" grip just didn't seem to work with trigger posed sideshow hands so the more realistic, angled ergo grip was opted. There is plenty of room inside of arm support for any clothing bulk as well.

Not as of yet. There will be one next posting. I took many steps to scaling the 3 3/4" version to 1/6 scale. From the tip of the barrel to the back of the arm support/brace, it is about 4 1/16". The concept of it being an assessary for a figure & working with a figure (i.e. holding it) was taken in consideration from the start. As much as I tried to remain faithful to the original design, the straight "broomstick" grip just didn't seem to work with trigger posed sideshow hands so the more realistic, angled ergo grip was opted. There is plenty of room inside of arm support for any clothing bulk as well.

Great idea Enaud. You have to have functionality, I can't see anyone not being happy with your adjustments, otherwise we'd have the equivalent of the GG 12" stuff. I much more prefer your vision. :hi5:

Thanks Niltusk!

Here are some "with the figure" pics as mentioned. I threw some gear on a figure & snapped them the other night but had to wait till the forum was back up to post them.

Thanks Niltusk!

Here are some "with the figure" pics as mentioned. I threw some gear on a figure & snapped them the other night but had to wait till the forum was back up to post them.

Duane, I don't know what to say... I freaking love this!!! The vision here is brought to life in such amazing detail! :clap

Again,thanks for the words guys! I'm sure those of you familiar with my SW alien head sculpts know how I am with details. I'm looking forward to seeing this once it gets primed. When all of the distracting colors & tones are gone & one consistent color, it will start to look like some serious weaponry:wink1:

Cheers Mando! I'm glad your pleased with what's been done so far.

As for harness mounting, I was going to leave that up to the individual. That way folks can do what works & is comfortable for them. I don't want to lock anyone into something if they have a preferred way or look to achieve. However, there will be some offered geared up & ready to go for those who might have difficulty in this department. I'm too toying with the possibility of a display stand that will attach to the pack & suspend it & the figure in the air...but that will be later.

When discussing some things with Mando, he brought to my attention of a 1/6 backpack mounting board that's out there that looks as if it would do the trick. There are also 1/6 backpack frames I've seen that would work just as nicely. These can be picked up for online vendors that part out figure as well as ebay. I'll try to find the links if someone doesn't beat me to it. As it stands now & from what I've found, I will try using a soldier story alice pack frame for mine.

Another possibility could be to do what Evilface did with the 1/6 snap-on stay backpacks he & Mando did. He spelled things out quite clearly with the posts he made demonstrating his method of building a frame to the back with plastic/styrene strips for the straps. If you guys have any other suggestions feel free to chime in.

Whilst on the subject of mounting, there is a detail I would like to address. I made a cross-cut section diagram of pack so you all can get an idea of the profile area of where any mounting system will be attached.

Because of the boosters being a larger diameter than the thickness of pack's midsection/body, there is a 4.74mm(3/16") height difference. The overall flat are of the back is 48mm(1 15/16") wide by 68mm(2 11/16")high approx.

I personally feel this is where the line of 80's simplistic toy design & realistic inspired creativity should be drawn. This is just me-if others agree with me, cool…if not, that's fine & dandy too…I'm just trying to prevent some scorched Joe thighs & asscheeks :wink1:
It would seem that a jetpack-regardless of strapping system, should be set back some from the figures body. This is where some additional buildup will be needed. At this stage, this build up can be added to the model & be part of the final cast or remain as is for the individual to contends with. I'm waiting on my materials for the mounting system to arrive. If anyone has any of these existing packframes, I & I'm sure others, would appreciate if you could post some dimensions of them. Again, I'm wanting to get some input from those who are interested in this so feel free to share some thoughts.

Heres a thought, if I understand what you're asking;

Could you just add in a generic back shaped block that goes to the back of the figure? Basically the edge meeting the figure would have a slight curve, kind of like if you took an old figures pack and superglued your JUMP to the back of that pack, creating more space. Gah, don't know if that illustrates what I'm thinking at all, but basically make it like you melted the JUMP into a figures pack thus bonding them together, but I also have no problems figuring out my own system if you just wanna leave it as a simple design.

Heres a thought, if I understand what you're asking;

Could you just add in a generic back shaped block that goes to the back of the figure? Basically the edge meeting the figure would have a slight curve, kind of like if you took an old figures pack and superglued your JUMP to the back of that pack, creating more space. Gah, don't know if that illustrates what I'm thinking at all, but basically make it like you melted the JUMP into a figures pack thus bonding them together, but I also have no problems figuring out my own system if you just wanna leave it as a simple design.

Thoughts are exactly what I was asking-if that makes sense?….merely wanting to present the impending situation in hopes of gathering some outside ideas.

I totally hear what you're saying & have the exact picture in my head what you're trying to describe. In a nut shell, a form fitted "box" with the matching contours of the figures back…just as you put it ,like the old school figures. I was thinking of something along those lines as well but looking at the big picture when all said & done, my concern is with the weight. If that route is taken, I feel it would need to be hollow. Definitely don't want to rule the idea out. Maybe I'm putting too much thought in this but one thing thing that i've learned with doing head sculpts is how much extra weight resin can add to a figure & this pack will have some mass to it.

Yeah, that would cause two problems, one with the added weight from the extension and another from the pack weight being shifted firther from the center of the model.

Back