First custom project in a long time: Kotobukiya Blues (Protoman)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dedguy

Super Freak
Reaction score
It's been quite some time since I have done a project. Previous projects include:

- Desert Hunter Predator (2015)
- City Hunter Predator (2014)
- OMFC Repaints (2012)
- Zomb Garage (mostly 2011)

Also various smaller minor repaints and things done between the OMGF repaints and the City Hunter. Since the Desert Hunter I haven't done a single painting, modeling, or scratch building project. A few days ago I bought the Koto Blues kit on a whim.

Blues/Protoman has been my favorite video game character since I was a kid and there's so little product of him out there. I saw the POP! figure at TRU, almost bought it, then a friend suggested I check out the Koto kit which I had forgotten existed.

At first I thought I'd be happy simply assembling the kit as it comes.

Kotobukiya Blues (Protoman) by James Seaman, on Flickr

I was ultimately unhappy with the sprue marks so the next course of action was to sand those off. I used up to 1000 grit paper and then finished with a three step plastic polishing set I have. The plastic polish game the plastic a nice semi-gloss finish which inspired me to do more. Here hopefully you can see the difference between the helmet and the red armor on his left compared to the rest which is all raw plastic.

This is where I am at now. I have finished all the red parts as well as the whole helmet by sanding and polishing. The grey portions where sanded to 1000 and polished with just step one of the plastic polish. I then cleaned the pieces and applied a matte clear acrylic finish using Tamiya spray paint.

Next up I still need to finish sanding and finishing the arms and all the extra hands. Need to finish the scarf and paint it with a flat coat of clear. Then I need to add the various silver, green, and yellow bits of paint not included on the model. I'm also considering maybe finishing the gloss parts with a gloss clearcoat.

Back