Action Figure Joaquin Phoenix "JOKER" Speculation Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If HT will not produce Joker, i consider it another big time dropped ball. So far i'm force to buy third party figure which neither is great, but also not bad.

Man, I'm really surprised there's no HT of this Joker considering HT loves to milk this character. I would definitely buy one.

The more I hear about this movie, the more I think WB might have blocked off any merchandising rights to it. It sounds incredibly violent and unnerving, more so than any big studio movie in the last few years, so I can understand their trepidation. I got the TOP kit and it's pretty great, I know they're making a second one in makeup/red suit, so it's not all bad.

- Quoting this to talk about that viewpoint that's out there, not @KevinGarveyJr. Although I'm not going to reference any specific plot point, SPOILERS if you really want to hear nothing before you watch it for yourself -

As with sooo many things currently, this film has been a victim of the wildly hyperbole that being online seems to have given us, culturally. We saw an extreme positive reaction to it at the initial screening, then there's been an equally extreme overreaction/backlash to it (especially regarding how violent it is). Now there's a backlash against the backlash that returns to putting the film on a pedestal. No doubt it will go on ;)

Saw it last night, FWIW I thought it was an interesting enough attempt to do something a bit different within the blockbuster/superhero context, but it falls short of succeeding to the extent which the various films its plainly referencing did. Superb central performance that shows a fully-realised pitiful (rather than sympathetic) character, good production design, and excellent editing elevated otherwise very on-the-nose and predictable screenwriting and direction.

A solidly average, tho well-made, film which could have been a great deal better, had there been more complexity and nuance in the writing and direction - but which will prove memorable and be rightly praised for an excellent lead performance.

Regarding the violence: acts of violence are concentrated, sporadic, and happen in a way which is fairly "real", and shows that all violence has consequences. I would say that's the opposite of "irresponsible" - you see that if people fire guns, people will die. You see that if people use knives, people will die. You see that if people seriously physically attack people, they will get severely hurt. Etc.

For all that I feel there's a real lack of subtlety in the story, when it comes to the violence the film certainly doesn't glorify it, when it happens. It is very matter of fact, and obviously - like in real life - unpleasant and extreme in that moment. It's equally not gory, lingering, or mindless. It's not your typical mainstream movie/TV violence.

I didn't find it unnerving either - in fact by the end I was actually a bit bored, but that's as a result of what I felt was some very predictable story and plotting, that really undid the much more interesting first half of the film. Fleck/Joker is an uncomfortable watch however - which is fine. He remains an arresting character from start to finish, even once I began to lose interest in the film as a whole, I never found the character dull or uninteresting.

He is not an anti-hero, he certainly hasn't been played as such; in my view Phoenix does a superb job of always showing him as pitiful and dislikable, and while we see Fleck's motivations, that's not the same as empathising with them. Anyone who did might want to take a look at themselves to be perfectly honest, because if there's one thing both actor and film are not trying to do, it's make Joker a character to whom audiences should warm.

That's my thoughts anyway, not that anyone asked :)

For the TLDR crowd: If watching Joker encourages people to now go and watch the excellent King Of Comedy, which it quite deliberately references (which is not a criticism), that's a definite plus.

Oh yeah, something about 1/6 toys. Sorry, got carried away and forgot about that ;)

The Joker film doesn't talk down to people and tell them what to believe or how to interpret it. Actually it's the critics of the film that offer their interpretation as definitive that are talking down to the public, best I can see.

The character is truly complex. It's genuinely tragic what happened to him beginning with his childhood. It is completely understandable to have sympathy for Arthur regarding how society treats him. But that does not translate to in any way, shape, or form condoning the brutal actions that he takes when he snaps. I would have to watch the movie again, but at first viewing I did not really get a sense that there as an underlying message that we should be rooting for Arthur to murder people. And certainly not for him to incite rioting, or inspiring other people committing similar anarchic violence.

I think this film will hold up as a fascinating character study that transcends the genre. People getting upset the violence are outright hypocritical if they also loved John Wick, Django Unchained, or any number of popular and/or celebrated super violent films.

I offer all this in the context of concerns that the film is too controversial for a HT figure from it to get made. The Heath Ledger Joker is a despicable character and there's no outcry about making a figure for him. It's a brilliant characterization and performance that is being celebrated. Not what the character does.

Also, honestly, as long as WB is wiling to license it, if it is clear that the figure will be popular HT will certainly have no compunction about manufacturing it!

I still think Nicholson's Joker was the most evil just for the callous way he murdered poor loyal Bob. 😥

Saw the movie last night and i loved every minute of it!...Loads of black humour with Phoenix giving a mesmerizingly brilliant performance...

Now i'd really like both Fleck/Joker figs on my self in 1/6...and maybe even a 1/4 scale:)

Yeah after seeing the movie I definitely want a Joaquin Joker figure now. I'm not sure he really felt enough like the Joker to me, as he seemed more like just some regular, not-too-bright guy who's seriously emotionally damaged and mentally ill (and I thought Ledger's twisted and calculated psychopath felt a lot truer to the character), but it was still a fantastic performance and Joaquin looked cool as hell in that outfit at the end.

and I thought Ledger's twisted and calculated psychopath felt a lot truer to the character

Funny enough, comics Joker is everything, but calculated. So no, Ledger was good, but not a good Joker at all.

I think Albert found himself in those final moments and his talent for crazy stuff still might emerge after, leaving earlier clumsiness in the past.

Anyway, I'd like a Phoenix Joker, with a cigarette, flowers, notebook, clown mask, and gun. An alternate head sculpt with the blood smile would be perfect.

Yeah, exactly!

They could probably do the first bathroom joker look after the subway scene, and like you said, also a talkshow version with the post accident headsculpt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Man I hope they make a figure of this joker. I know they most likely won?t cause it?s not freakin crap ST wars or iron man but I really want this figure. I feel like this is def a joker I?d buy. But I def think hot toys will drop the ball on this.

Well atleast we have a ton of Leto jokers to choose from just sitting in some warehouse collecting dust lol

Man I hope they make a figure of this joker. I know they most likely won?t cause it?s not freakin crap ST wars or iron man but I really want this figure. I feel like this is def a joker I?d buy. But I def think hot toys will drop the ball on this.

Well atleast we have a ton of Leto jokers to choose from just sitting in some warehouse collecting dust lol
At this point, I don't think it's Hot Toys doing but Joaquin Phoenix. He is most likely not agreeing to figures being made with his likeness. Despite the focus of SW and Marvel, Batman and Joker figures are huge money makers.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Yeah I think we definitely would have seen the figure by now if HT was able to make him. Especially with all the hype surrounding the movie and all the Leto and Ledger Jokers they've churned out in the past.

Back