James Cameron's AVATAR discussion thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i too saw it in 3D and IMAX 3D.

IMAX IS A GIMMICK, a HUGE SCREEN , you sit very close to and they crank the VOLUME way the F-up. ...that's it...NOTHING SPECIAL WHAT SO EVER.

I actually found the viewing experience LESS ENJOYABLE on the IMAX SCREEN, the screen is wayy too big and you're sitting way too close it takes aways from the overall picture. the standard 3-D was a MUCH more enjyable experience...i highly reccomend seeing it in a 3-D theater and avoid IMAX

I will NEVER go to an IMAX again.

i like this one

zz01a662e7.jpg

unfortunately i'm not into 2-D

Re: I saw AVATAR in 3D!

Hey guys. I am new here. I am a big James Cameron fan so I just felt compelled to comment on AVATAR. It was the most Beautiful piece of art I have ever seen. The story wasnt great but I felt for the characters and I was in AWE of the action. I saw it IMAX in london. Where can I introduce myself on this forum? Thanks

You are not in Kansas any more...you are on Sideshow Freaks. Out there, beyond this thread, every living thing that flames, b***hes or playes with Hulks in the mud wants to kill you and eat your eyes for jujubes....

And my job is to keep you alive. I will not succeed.

Jake also meets a doped up and blubbering scientist on base who used to be an Avatar controller until his Avatar was ripped apart and eaten alive by a beast called a slinth. The scientist felt himself "die" and went insane. That would have nicely established the danger of losing your Avatar in the wild. In the movie I wasn't really sure if its like the Matrix (you die if your Avatar dies) or if you just wake up. I realize that Cameron wanted to get the story moving and the scenes as he filmed them still work but I really hope he shot some of those scenes from the sciptment and is holding them for an extended edition later on.

I can't wait to finish it.

I was wondering about that throughout the film as well, was handled quite nicely with what happens to Norm's Avatar body though.

Hey guys. I am new here. I am a big James Cameron fan so I just felt compelled to comment on AVATAR. It was the most Beautiful piece of art I have ever seen. The story wasnt great but I felt for the characters and I was in AWE of the action. I saw it IMAX in london. Where can I introduce myself on this forum? Thanks

Here you go Miles: https://sideshowcollectors.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6

Welcome. :) And you weren't the only one blown away by Cameron's 3D masterpiece.

Again, Avatar IS groundbreaking visually, technically etc. Like it or not, there is no denying in that.
It was a pure and intense movie experience.

Storywise Avatar is mediocre and stands no where close to his previous films.

But in the end, it is a must see!

That's pretty much it in a nutshell. It's a solid movie with a very interesting technical conceit, but that's all it is. Masterpiece? Nah.

As for the previous tales it has borrowed its story and themes from... some have already been mentioned:

The Story Pocahontas/Jamestown (I was half expecting them to scrawl "Croatoan" onto Hometree)
Dances With Wolves/The Last Samurai
Ferngully (Yes, I'm serious)

The only thing truly original about it is the technical package its all wrapped in and its ability to transport you to another world. Hell, even half of the designs we've seen before in video games and the like. It's a good film, but not breathtakingly amazing nor the hand of God as some seem to want us to believe. Heck, I think it's only Cameron's 3rd best film that begins with an "A" (I'd say both ALIENS and ABYSS are better films).

The only thing truly original about it is the technical package its all wrapped in and its ability to transport you to another world. Hell, even half of the designs we've seen before in video games and the like.

To me, the natives look like a cross between Night Elves from World of Warcraft, and humanoid felines. Nothing wrong with it, just that I don't think its the most original movie with all that in mind.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="https://www.youtube.com/v/lWSnSyUgq_Q&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="https://www.youtube.com/v/lWSnSyUgq_Q&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Yea it not original but look at twilight thats not original at all and it has a huge fanbase,Avatar is way more awesome in everyway the way they told the story was original, How many times have you seen giant aliens ride on dragons attacking planes seriously.

Ok I finally saw it on an IMAX screen and .......I was disappointed.
After seeing it in crystal clear Real-D on an XD cinema display, I was expecting the imax experience to be even better. We did sit too close-it made it very hard to focus and really gave way to severe eyestain, but despite that I noticed a lot of ghosting and much of the film was not sharp-very fuzzy and out of focus or blurry unless it was where the camera wanted you to look.

I know it would have been better if we had sat further back but I was surprised that I enjoyed real-D 3d better! The image is so much clearer and you can really enjoy all the little things on the sides of the frame.

I also noticed a lot more dialogue and effects I missed the first time around.

So based on my experience-if you can find a RAVE theater or one showing it in Real-D on a big screen that would be the way to go. I also noticed the glasses at IMAX are different. Each lens has a different hue to it-not anaglyph but different than real-D. The 3d does pop out more rather than giving that depth that real-d does. I had a headache after seeing it that close and my eyes just didnt seem to want to adjust to the 3D.

So in this case-I preferred the digital experience over the film

I was surprised I didn't have the same problem you had. I sat pretty close and didn't experience any ghosting, which is why I was really impressed with the 3D. I do want to see it on a RealD screen just to see the difference between Imax and digital. Luckily there is a theater close by that has it in RealD on a pretty large screen.

Watched SW: Attack of the Clones a couple days ago, didnt really watch it just flipped over to it a few times, and what I thought was good CGI at the time looked absolutely horrible after watching Avatar. HORRIBLE! Yoda looked so caca. :(

I thought some of the backgrounds were really ????ty even when the movie came out. Some of that ???? looked like they weren't even trying.

Watched SW: Attack of the Clones a couple days ago, didnt really watch it just flipped over to it a few times, and what I thought was good CGI at the time looked absolutely horrible after watching Avatar. HORRIBLE! Yoda looked so caca. :(

And I dont think it will falter once it hits BD. I dont think the 3D was key to the movie looking great.

U think that maybe we'll be saying that about Avatar in like 10 years??:confused: I hope not.:(

Back