James Cameron's AVATAR discussion thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
2) Greater cultural immersion experience. They get to have that funky tendrils at the ends of the hair that allows them to tap into the spiritual side of the Na'vi culture.

But that raises another question. Does this mean that there are no bald Na'vi on pandora? Maybe natural selection might have eradicated te bald gene or something.

In fact, having short hair might make it difficult to ride a horse (e.g. head permanently tilted to one side to maintain connection).

I'm pretty sure the thing on the back of their head is like a tail, but is just covered in hair. All the other animals have those "tail" things on their heads, I just think the Na'vi's are covered in hair.

OK, after researching -- or trying -- to get a straight answer about about seeing this in RealD 3D or IMAX 3D experience, I can't seem to tell which is better. RealD is the newer technology, but IMAX is bigger. More headaches with IMAX apparently, but you get "that pop-out" effect while RealD is more about depth of field.

Is all that true? Has anyone here seen it in both formats, and if so can you recmmend the best experience?

Saw this last night and it didn't live up to all the hype imo. It was good, don't get me wrong, but it wasn't the greatest thing ever to grace the screen like it was made out to be. Good film still and I'll be buying the dvd.

Are you kidding me? it just made another 75 million this weekend??
Number 1 again? Beat Sherlock Holmes.
That proves it does have legs and good word of mouth and people going to see it again.
I'm going for my 3rd time tomorrow.

SO far it's made about $212 million domestic!!
And $468 million worldwide total.

That proves it does have legs and good word of mouth and people going to see it again.

:horror Holy crap! That was fast.

Has anyone seen this in both 3D and 2D formats yet? I saw it in 3D and can't imagine a better experience but I've heard from a couple of people that the colors and detail are even more vibrant in 2D. Can anyone confirm this?

Has anyone seen this in both 3D and 2D formats yet? I saw it in 3D and can't imagine a better experience but I've heard from a couple of people that the colors and detail are even more vibrant in 2D. Can anyone confirm this?

i havse scene the movie in IMAX 3D and regular 2d at a loacal theatre. Personally, the 2D is awesome, the details and color and effects still look amazing..but it doesnt compare to the epicness of imax 3d, cause you feel like your In pandora and IN THE MOVIE..either way the movie rocks..see both ways

The 3d didn't work too well for me. I kept getting that double vision thing. Its because I had crappy seats , if it gets extended I'm going to pay for better seats towards the back more.

The 3d didn't work too well for me. I kept getting that double vision thing. Its because I had crappy seats , if it gets extended I'm going to pay for better seats towards the back more.

I actually sat pretty close , but was near center, so I didn't have any of the double vision thing. I did have the double vision thing during A Christmas Carol depending on how I tilted my head and I was sitting in the back row for that. I was actually expecting to have that problem during Avatar and was glad I didn't.

I kept saying the second week was key. I was right about that, but I am thinking I will probably be wrong on my total box office estimate. According to box office mojo it is already at 600 million worldwide. This definitely has a legit shot at second all time worldwide. Looking at all time box office, I still can't believe how far and away Titanic is from everybody else. I don't see how anything can ever touch 1.8 billion worldwide when the next closest movie is 1.1.

I went for the 2nd time last night and took my son and my parents. Everyone loved it. My dad who rarely watches the same movie twice said he could watch it again.

Its comical that people think the movie is cliche. Almost every movie is cliche if you want to nit-pick enough. The dark knight which I loved too was cliche. Bad guy seems like he's going to kill everyone only to be stopped at the last second by the good guy. I mean seriously people.... Besides, going to watch a movie like this for the story is like going to a football game for the halftime show. If you want a story or great acting go watch the latest Meryl Streep flick.

I don't know if many "original" movies are left anymore. Its just a matter of retelling a story and adding your own unique twists and turns coupled with new technologies that can take movies to new heights. I think avatar did that and was a great ride. Now if only there was a freakin IMAX near me that was playing it...... :banghead:banghead

Re: I saw AVATAR in 3D!

My wife had to take off her 3d glasses during some of the faster scenes. Did anyone else get a headache watching the movie? I agree that the plot was predictable and the message was extremely heavy-handed, but I had a great time watching the movie.

Military seeking new resources, invades foreign land; not that hard :p Storyline has been done to death.

The one thing that bothers me is that this movie won't be as good on Blu-Ray without the 3D effects. I was truly impressed by the effective use of 3D.

Re: I saw AVATAR in 3D!

My wife had to take off her 3d glasses during some of the faster scenes. Did anyone else get a headache watching the movie? I agree that the plot was predictable and the message was extremely heavy-handed, but I had a great time watching the movie.

The next my head and eyes were killing i had to sit in the dark for most of the day still it was worth the pain. :lol

Back