James Cameron's AVATAR discussion thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just came back from it, and, well...The uncanny valley has been breached.

Has it really? The uncanny valley concept can only be applied to human facsimiles. I wonder, if the tech behind the Na'vi were used to create CG humans, could you still say the same?

Does anyone think there should be a sequel, or should they leave it at one ?

Its already been touted as a trilogy.

So still mostly positive from people who have seen it.:cool:

See the next collectible is Neytiri.

Last edited:
OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What a ????ing amazing movie!!! Jesus!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:monkey2:monkey2:monkey2:monkey2:monkey2 so awesome!!!!!!!!! i want to be a Navi!!!!!:monkey2:monkey2

This movie is amazing. Honestly, this is what you want when you go to the cinemas. You want to be entertained, amazed, and taken on a wild adventure. I did not want this adventure to end! The world of Pandora was beautifully done, as well as the Navi. I don't get why everyone hates the way they look? :confused: They're a great design. You'd think they were real creatures, as the CGI is so well done. And watching it in an IMAX theater enhances you're experience so much. IMAX or Fail, IMO. :D The story is pretty generic, but that doesn't take anything away from the film. The battle at the end of the film was epic, and probably one of the best, if not THE best on-screen battles ever. Everything about this film is amazing, and I will be seeing it again at IMAX.

The only bad thing about it is when it gets released on Blu-Ray, because it just won't be the same. :lol Oh well, it will still be amazing.
Rant over.

i want to be a Navi!!!!!:monkey2:monkey2

:lecture :lecture :monkey2

Saw the movie last night, visually it's very stunning. But I don't think the plot is very original nor very compelling either. Definitely worth watching once for sure.

Just saw it

Wow, that far exceeded my expectations.

Although if you think about it the plot is simple, you have to take in everything because it really is a kind of experience. And it definitely has some great moments. And even in the slower parts there's lots to keep you interested.

As for the effects--there was not one single shot that wasn't superbly well done. Effects on this are perfect, and the emotion shown through the CG characters is just great.

Only thing that got in the way was the 3D glasses, it's been a long time since I saw something in 3D and I wasn't able to get my eyes right until about half-way through the movie. Figured out you have to look at what the camera is focusing on, otherwise everything gets weird and things don't match up. Plus the glasses they gave us seemed pretty old, looking through just the right lens was fine, but the left lens was off and had a bit of a ghost image.

This movie is amazing. Honestly, this is what you want when you go to the cinemas. You want to be entertained, amazed, and taken on a wild adventure. I did not want this adventure to end! The world of Pandora was beautifully done, as well as the Navi. I don't get why everyone hates the way they look? :confused: They're a great design. You'd think they were real creatures, as the CGI is so well done. And watching it in an IMAX theater enhances you're experience so much. IMAX or Fail, IMO. :D The story is pretty generic, but that doesn't take anything away from the film. The battle at the end of the film was epic, and probably one of the best, if not THE best on-screen battles ever. Everything about this film is amazing, and I will be seeing it again at IMAX.

The only bad thing about it is when it gets released on Blu-Ray, because it just won't be the same. :lol Oh well, it will still be amazing.
Rant over.

:lecture :lecture :monkey2

To think if Cameron made another Terminator flick instead, we may have been saying this for that instead.

I could go on about so many things, but let me tell you this in no uncertain terms - AVATAR is breathtaking and beautifully amazing, the STARWARS of our generation, and my favorite experience I've ever had in cinema. I will go broke seeing this movie in IMAX.

French you prevented, I did not lie :banana

I repeat...

AVATAR is a breathtaking experience, a new saga is born just a rebirth of cinema sicences fiction! :monkey5

Good movie. AMAZING visuals.

But District 9 is the best Sci Fi film of the year. Nothing has topped that for me. It was just too good.

Some random thoughts.
It was not the greatest movie ever...nor was it the best of the year. However, it was very very good. Great visuals. That is where the film breaks new ground. You've never seen ANYTHING like Pandora.

However...the story is old and tired. But...it works. It is true you could map out the whole plot. But that wasnt too distracting. Some of the characters could've used more....development. Not depth....lack of depth is fine. But outside of the main core of people, you didnt care all that much for anyone else.

But its no where on the level Transformers was. You did feel SOMETHING for the characters.

Seeing it again in IMAX. lol.

However, I will add one more thing....like TF2, it was too ****ing long. Trim 30 minutes out of it, and we're solid. We get it. Jake and Netiri are in love. OK MOVE ON PLZ!

Re: I saw AVATAR in 3D!

That was the most amazing thing I have ever seen.

It makes me sad to think that once this movie is no longer in 3D IMAX, that I may never again get to experience that level of movie magic watching Avatar like I did tonight. Lived up to all the hype for me, and I was a skeptic believing the CG being used instead of a great story.

OMG, I cannot wait to see what Hot Toys and Sideshow give us for Na'vi figures. Naked blue aliens for everybody!:banana

WOW. My mind is blown, i havent had that kind experience seeing a movie since fellowship of the ring! This is what i miss about seeing these types of films. The spectacle!
I agree it isnt the best movie ever but it is up there with those great blockbuster classics like The matrix and Jurassic Park.
Cant wait to see it again!! Bring on Avatar 2; The search for Ripleys chest

That was the most amazing thing I have ever seen.

It makes me sad to think that once this movie is no longer in 3D IMAX, that I may never again get to experience that level of movie magic watching Avatar like I did tonight. Lived up to all the hype for me, and I was a skeptic believing the CG being used instead of a great story.

OMG, I cannot wait to see what Hot Toys and Sideshow give us for Na'vi figures. Naked blue aliens for everybody!:banana

:lecture That's the only disappointing thing. The experience at IMAX can never topped. And yeah, I can't wait to see what SS and HT give us! :rock

If we're lucky it will be taken into a special IMAX rotation of great movies. :lol After all, it will ensure that cinemas will remain interesting and worthwhile!

Has it really? The uncanny valley concept can only be applied to human facsimiles. I wonder, if the tech behind the Na'vi were used to create CG humans, could you still say the same?

Yeah, a friend explained to me what the uncanny valley is, I always thought it was just the goal of real lifelike CGI. :lol:duh But probably not, the human eye will ALWAYS be able to pick up stuff like that, though the new performance capturing technique will be revolutionary and a significant addition to the future of CGI!

Great to see so many positive reviews of this. I'm gonna have to rebook my tickets for a later date , I've woke up feeling like I've got the flu. Mega crappy:(. I hope they'll exchange them when I phone the imax.

Back