James Cameron's AVATAR discussion thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: I saw AVATAR in 3D!

No 3D is just the cherry on cake
But what you feel when watching this movie don't need 3D ;)

:lecture Agreed!

I think the story would be just as powerful and amazing without the 3D, but it's like akmonrg says; The Cherry On The Cake.

A cherry I'm glad I didn't miss, though :peace

I enjoyed the film ,the story was a bit predictable but it it looked great although I didn't think the natives were entirely convincing as living beings. I have only seen it in 2D, I shall try to see it in 3D if I can find an Imax cinema not too far away.

I have at least 3 viewings lined up for this.
First I'm going with a friend right on Friday!
Then I'm going to go with my dad a few days later. He's gonna be blown away by this stuff too.
Then probably go another day over the holidays and take my Gf's kids.
And who knows. If someone else asks me or wants to see this movie, hellz ya I'll take them.

I did a review of it.
I'm no Roger Ebert , but I tried my best without giving away spoilers.
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="https://www.youtube.com/v/nxykmR8E3Ps&hl=en_GB&fs=1&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="https://www.youtube.com/v/nxykmR8E3Ps&hl=en_GB&fs=1&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
Going again this Tuesday :banana:banana

Apparently IMAX presales for AVATAR have already far exceeded that of TDK and overseas where AVATAR is already showing, many theaters are staying open 24 hours to fulfill demand. So the longer running time might not cripple its opening box office like Titanic. Titanic had to have legs and continue to have strong box office weekends. I have a feeling AVATAR will command many repeat viewings.

It's also opening in a record number of Imax theaters which is going to really boost it's numbers due to ticket price. If this isn't the biggest grossing movie of the year I'd be shocked.

I did a review of it.
I'm no Roger Ebert , but I tried my best without giving away spoilers.
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="https://www.youtube.com/v/nxykmR8E3Ps&hl=en_GB&fs=1&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="https://www.youtube.com/v/nxykmR8E3Ps&hl=en_GB&fs=1&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
Going again this Tuesday :banana:banana

Great review. But you did give one spoiler for me lol
Spoiler Spoiler:

I just saw the film and i cant explain how amazing it was. Only that it made me feel like everything else in the world was utterly insignificant for a while afterwards. Its a very powerful and emotional film.

I am too hungover from the company Christmas party last night to do a midnight screening, it will have to wait for the weekend. :sick

Just came back from it, and, well...The uncanny valley has been breached. There were a few iffy moments, but other then that: BRILLIANT CGI. Cameron proves that he's STILL the master of effects. The world building was great as well; I really did get the feeling that I was on a completely different world with a fully functional flora and fauna. I have never seen anything like this in movies before.

The 3D was also nice, like you were watching through a movie. But it did leave me with my eyes straining, and the effect was lost when I looked away from the centre of the screen. The best aspect about it was that it was never forced like in so many other movies, but was pretty subtle most of the time! This movie did mature 3D, but it still has a long way to go, and will probably need a new screen to really make it work.

The story was simple and so were the characters, but they felt far from boring and I actually felt that they were real, and it also had quite a few emotional moments that really did work. The Colonel was a ????ing BADASS too, seriously one of my favorite movie 'villians'. I also loved the action moments; it was actually pretty tactical, and not just "natives are magically stronger".

The eco message? Yeah, bullcrap. There is only ONE line that gives that vibe, and a kind of eye rolling moment at the end. The spirituality of the Navi is actually explained very well and took me off guard and left me hungry for more. The science/army stuff was brilliant as well, Cameron really is obsessed with details!

My only complaints are that the simple story was both good and bad. It worked, but on the other hand, something deeper would have been awesome as well. The movie also felt rushed, like it was meant to be longer, and it makes the mistake of telling some things instead of showing them (he narrates a lot, and certain changes in character are glossed over, at least with the humans). The other Navi clans came almost out of nowhere as well.

All in all, I'd give it a 8.5, and I definately recommend seeing it. It's a beautiful sci-fi action/adventure movie with a few drama moments, great moments of action and doesn't beat you over the head with an eco message like I feared. 3D was nice, but not game-changing; the tech behind this movie is what's going to change the industry, not the movie itself. But yeah, go see it!

that not expensive in there? ive been to the bars in that place quite a few times and its bloody expensive.

last 3D film i watched in warrington cost me £17.50 for 2 , so id hate to think what the printworks charge

Nope , not really . I think mine and my mates tickets were £24.00 together. Take our own drinks in and it shouldn't be expensive. :monkey4:monkey3:lol

Great review. But you did give one spoiler for me lol
Spoiler Spoiler:

Ooops! sorry, but you do find that out very early on in the movie.

The 3D was also nice, like you were watching through a movie. But it did leave me with my eyes straining, and the effect was lost when I looked away from the centre of the screen. The best aspect about it was that it was never forced like in so many other movies, but was pretty subtle most of the time! This movie did mature 3D, but it still has a long way to go, and will probably need a new screen to really make it work.

I found the 3D looked miles better than all the other 3D movies I have seen, but I did find my eyes straining for a short while too.
It also might mean we are both in need of an eye test. :lol

Back