J.J. Abrams' Star Trek Into Darkness

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well honestly you're not wrong. Back when the 09 film came out I was excited about the possibility of seeing old villains again. As the saying goes be careful what you wish for. I suppose I just thought they'd have more sense than to try and pass off someone completely and utterly unlike the original actor and character as that character - without even any explanation as to why the character was so different. Maybe with a villain less memorable than Khan they might have gotten away with it.

Who do you think would make a good Khan........with the wig? :lol

Who do you think would make a good Khan........with the wig? :lol

Fez :lecture

tumblr_lpvb6tOG3T1r1w241o1_500.gif

Great point.

And as others have pointed out, Kahn is a historical figure, and since the timeline wasn't changed til well after his exploits, all they had to do is basically Google him or look him up on Wikipedia! No need to bother Spock prime!

Exactly! That's what I never got. He was always a historical figure that JJ's timeline change occurred AFTER. Makes no sense when you have 90% of the cast imitating the original cast and the key villain nothing like the original...

Superman

I don't either. The movies are way too different. I think it's just a case of trying to make everyone happy, and they can't.

I agree with the majority of the posters here, that Khan was miscast. I would have loved that by the end of the film, we find out out that Joachim, Khan's right hand man was pretending to be Khan in order to protect him and the others and they show a casket at the very end of STID with Ricardo Montalban inside it. The audience would leave the theater content and all this talk would be concentrated on the bad acting that occured during Kirks death scene and the silly way the ship was stabalized. Star Trek 2,3 and 4 will never be replicated, just like The Sound of Music cannot be replicated.

Re: Superman

I agree with the majority of the posters here, that Khan was miscast. I would have loved that by the end of the film, we find out out that Joachim, Khan's right hand man was pretending to be Khan in order to protect him and the others and they show a casket at the very end of STID with Ricardo Montalban inside it. The audience would leave the theater content and all this talk would be concentrated on the bad acting that occured during Kirks death scene and the silly way the ship was stabalized. Star Trek 2,3 and 4 will never be replicated, just like The Sound of Music cannot be replicated.

:goodpost:

I think this sums up the Khan casting:

i-hHMRCZ9.jpg

*If* they had gotten Benicio Del Toro as originally planned, this could have been pulled off in a semi-believable manner. When that fell through, I think it was just arrogance to think "hey, we can really use anyone".

I like Cumberbatch. He is an outstanding actor, but he is not Khan...

For myself, I'll just continue to play the alternate movie in my head, where Cumberbatch played Gary Mitchell, a role he would have been well suited for.

I really don't think the look was the biggest problem. If Benicio had the role, but played it like Cumberbun did, it still would have been very weird. The key is someone should have at least tried to mimic the behavior of Khan--the way he carried himself and interacted with others. I think Cumberstach could have done that if he was directed to, and it would have been easier to accept. But they went for something completely different.

They could have picked someone more Kahnnish instead of Cumberbatch.
That being said...

I'm an old school Star Trek fan, I like Pine as Kirk as well as the other castings, and I enjoyed both films. :lecture :nana: :peace

I really don't think the look was the biggest problem. If Benicio had the role, but played it like Cumberbun did, it still would have been very weird. The key is someone should have at least tried to mimic the behavior of Khan--the way he carried himself and interacted with others. I think Cumberstach could have done that if he was directed to, and it would have been easier to accept. But they went for something completely different.

Like whisper and **** all the time ? :lol

They should have just left Kahn alone and do something completely different. They had an entire universe to play with, and they went back to the same villain for the same part two of the movie series. Talk about unoriginal.

Back