J.J. Abrams' Star Trek Into Darkness

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've seen the suggestion elsewhere and thought it was a good one.
That Cumberbatch shouldn't have been Kahn but rather his right hand man Jochiem.
Which was why he was trying so hard to save the others and his leader and would've set up Khan as this epic unseen bad guy. If Jochiem was that formidable then whoa...watch out. Antonio Banderas would've made a great Khan.
A pasty faced Brit with the name Khan Noonian Singh doesn't work.

Didn't buy all the emotion at Kirks death.
As was stated they didn't have the history yet.
Pine isn't believable as Kirk.
In another universe in a different reboot I would've liked to have seen a younger Thomas Jane be Kirk.

Finally saw this movie last night. I agree with a lot of the criticisms, but ultimately I enjoyed it. One question:

What was the import of including Spock Prime?

Finally saw this movie last night. I agree with a lot of the criticisms, but ultimately I enjoyed it. One question:

Reboot Spock thought we might be in over our heads so I'll cheat and get the scoop from my older, wiser bada$$ self.

Spock Prime should use call block next time.
The reboots can't be calling up everytime trouble with tribbles crop up or Godlike Gary Mitchell rears his head.

Yeah... but what did Spock Prime actually offer for advice that was helpful? He seemed to pretty much just state the obvious.

I really enjoyed this film, I don't get all the hate. I'm a bit worried now that Abrams dumped this for Star Wars, but hopefully Star Trek continues on with the cast and has a great third film at least.

I'm a little bummed Hot Toys didn't pick this line up. I would've loved to have a Kirk and Carol.

I also thought it was a pretty good flick as was the first one. As a whole I don't care a lot about ST but these films held my interest pretty good. So I hope they continue with this style and tone.

Worst most pitiful scene in the movie. The ENTIRE tie-in from the first film with the established Trek universe is pointles- it's a MOVIE rebooting something- no need at all to do this- in fact it diminishes the JJ verse Trek as a carbon-copy wanna be of the real thing!

The Nimoy cameo was made worse by its bizarre placement in the film. Now, I've only seen it once, but if memory serves Khan is helping them against what at that point in the film is the more obvious threat - Admiral Marcus. So why isn't young Spock asking old Spock about Admiral Marcus? Some tips on how to beat him would have been more useful at that particular moment in time no? In the same position I would have only brought up the name Khan as a footnote.

The Nimoy cameo was made worse by its bizarre placement in the film. Now, I've only seen it once, but if memory serves Khan is helping them against what at that point in the film is the more obvious threat - Admiral Marcus. So why isn't young Spock asking old Spock about Admiral Marcus? Some tips on how to beat him would have been more useful at that particular moment in time no? In the same position I would have only brought up the name Khan as a footnote.

That's a good point.

Great point.

And as others have pointed out, Kahn is a historical figure, and since the timeline wasn't changed til well after his exploits, all they had to do is basically Google him or look him up on Wikipedia! No need to bother Spock prime!

As we all stated I wish Cumberbatch was Jochiam. Or maybe.....an augment from Archer's era who claims to be a follower of Khan and his people. Or something like that. :dunno

Here's hoping they go off on their own from now on with a new director and all.

If they do, I'm betting some will ***** because there wasn't any reference to the original movies or cast. :lol

As we all stated I wish Cumberbatch was Jochiam. Or maybe.....an augment from Archer's era who claims to be a follower of Khan and his people. Or something like that. :dunno

I wouldn't object to them backpedalling in a future film or tv show (set in the new continuity) and doing just that - saying that ''Khan'' wasn't Khan but in fact Joachim or someone else. Pretend it was their intention all along if they want. Maybe this film could be somewhat salvageable in retrospect.

If they do, I'm betting some will ***** because there wasn't any reference to the original movies or cast. :lol

Well honestly you're not wrong. Back when the 09 film came out I was excited about the possibility of seeing old villains again. As the saying goes be careful what you wish for. I suppose I just thought they'd have more sense than to try and pass off someone completely and utterly unlike the original actor and character as that character - without even any explanation as to why the character was so different. Maybe with a villain less memorable than Khan they might have gotten away with it.

Last edited:

Honestly, with how the first one ended, that's the way I expected them to go, since Nemoy's Spock essentially says goodbye at the end. The sooner they embrace the "alternate reality" they've established, the sooner they steer clear of the older movies and stop trying to milk emotions from older Trekkies with cheap stunts, the better the series will get.

Back