Its awful dead in here

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
124eace6ff298f41f9099226b8de3e15.jpg

It is an exclusive varient that has very little development cost. They already have the molds, it is a simple repaint. It is also unique in its design which people in Asia would be totally into. This was probably not designed for the western market in mind at all.

I would still say this is way more interesting then 12 year old kid who they would have to get likeness rights for, rights for the Public Enemy shirt, and develop a whole new buck for. The overhead cost for producing John Conner wouldn't be worth how little of them they would sell. Even NECA hasn't bothered with this.

Don't get me wrong, I would love to see more niche characters made. I just think some people need to have realistic expectations. Also crap like this porcelain trooper and disco Iron Man is what makes Hot Toys easy money and allows them to take the odd chance on older properties every now and then.

You guys make it sound like Hot Toys has never made anything from older properties. They were never going to make T2 John Conner, Clarence Boddicker, or Bishop. While these characters are important to the movies they are from, they are not exactly exciting from an action figure point of view. We got multiple Terminators, Robocops and Aliens. They have little reason to go back and redo Uncle Bob again. He has had 3 seperate releases. Even NECA doesn't dabble that deep into their figure lines.

I agree Hot Toys did some great work in the past between 2008 and 2013 on the older licenses. It's just since then its been pretty slim pickings lets be honest. I still think Hot Toys could get a lot of mileage out of the older franchises. I listed some of the stuff they could do in the first post in this thread.

Its just to me they seemed to have given up on them completely or what we do get are pretty lame efforts quality wise i.e Alien Warrior. When they do decide to cover some figure from an older license we're made wait almost 2 years for releases as is the case with Ripley. Nobody can tell me and convince me that there's a bigger demand for a Porcelain Stormtrooper versus say the Colonial Marines 2.0. That's where hot toys baffles me

Meanwhile the 100th Star Wars figure is getting released. That's where the frustration lies i think. I'd just like to see at least some parity in their offerings. Its not like they don't have the finance to do it and the demand is definitely there.

Last edited:
Just going a bit off topic for a minute but aside from collecting figures, I'm a bit of a vehicle buff myself so here are a couple of vehicles I'd love to see ht do. Though some of their figures are a little disappointing the one area i think Hot Toys still has me hooked is on their vehicle line.

I know they started doing vehicles with the tumbler first and then the batmobile but I'm hoping against hope that someday they do at least one of the following. Again wishful thinking but at least blitzway is gonna make the ecto 1!

index.php

Mad-max-1.jpg

68268d25e3834ef365f3e280141b1d92.jpg

I approve of these vehicles.

Anyone else pumped for da Genesys Endo????

Totally agree on the main post here.
I´m waiting for DC War Machine, but that´s all.
Since all the licenses that are important to me are getting less and less attention and I´m on a major transformers phase...I´m done with HT.
I´m stoked to see Hulkbuster...but that´s all.
HT does nothing for me atm and like many said: With those new prices I can concentrated on less expensive pieces, or even 3rd party Transformers.
I may return to HT, if the do terminator, or robocop...with likes of villains Boddikker, Jones, or characters like Lewis, Reese and Sarah and John, but otherwise...for now?
I´m done, but I do hope too that this thread will make a triumphant return with awesome POs.

I agree Hot Toys did some great work in the past between 2008 and 2013 on the older licenses. It's just since then its been pretty slim pickings lets be honest. I still think Hot Toys could get a lot of mileage out of the older franchises. I listed some of the stuff they could do in the first post in this thread.

Its just to me they seemed to have given up on them completely or what we do get are pretty lame efforts quality wise i.e Alien Warrior. When they do decide to cover some figure from an older license we're made wait almost 2 years for releases as is the case with Ripley. Nobody can tell me and convince me that there's a bigger demand for a Porcelain Stormtrooper versus say the Colonial Marines 2.0. That's where hot toys baffles me

Meanwhile the 100th Star Wars figure is getting released. That's where the frustration lies i think. I'd just like to see at least some parity in their offerings. Its not like they don't have the finance to do it and the demand is definitely there.

It is not that there is more demand for the Porcelain Trooper, it costs significantly less to make. Think about how much work would have to go into getting the likeness rights for all of those actors and then making new sculpts/outfits for all of them. Then see how many people would actually pay $225 USD + for those characters. Most collectors here can barely afford to assemble an Avengers team from a "currently popular" franchise let alone a group of generic looking 80s soldiers. The marines would be what like $1200 + at least. The Porcelain Trooper costs next to nothing to develop and will be super limited anyway.

People seem to forget, until last year, the only 1/6 Star Wars around were the Sideshow ones. While the armored figures are okay, the human ones were awful and very dated. Now with even Hot Toys making them, they don't seem to be selling as well as I think they hoped. Outside of the Episode IV Troopers and the couple exclusives, everything is still available at a discount from many places. The worst part is Luke, Han and Obi are from the stunt doubles collection and will likely be the last versions of these characters from Episode IV we will see for years if ever.

I'm glad Blitzway has picked up Ghostbusters and I hope we see them get more older licenses. I would like to see another company give Hot Toys some serious competition.

*Haydakin voice* From my point of view all their Terminator figures are stunt doubles! Seriously though, I think there's as much case for calling any given Terminator sculpt a 'stunt double' as there is for Luke, Han and Obi-wan. And that's why I personally don't consider the book closed on Terminator. Also they never made Kyle Reese - considering a version of him was the first ever MMS figure it's disappointing they didn't see fit to revisit him and make the 1984 version that fans wanted. However if Hot Toys think they're done with Terminator then there's nothing I can do about it and so be it.

Colonial Marines 2.0 could be incredible though, with massive scope for improvement over the original releases. They're anything but 'generic' as far as I'm concerned but again if Hot Toys disagrees then they disagree.

Last edited:
Most collectors here can barely afford to assemble an Avengers team from a "currently popular" franchise let alone a group of generic looking 80s soldiers.
Blasphemy i tells ye!

I'm glad Blitzway has picked up Ghostbusters and I hope we see them get more older licenses. I would like to see another company give Hot Toys some serious competition.
Yeah me too and although they've only released a few figures what they're putting out looks very good. There seems to be lots of companies out there making unlicensed figures from older 80's movies, I'm thinking Art Figures Judge Dredd, PCS American werewolf in London, The Thing and Crozz Designs Mike Harrigan from Predator 2 to name a few. The older more popular licenses we really want to see 1/6 scale figures from however are all still in Hot Toys domain so its a case of take it or leave it really as a-dev was pointing out.

Last edited:
*Haydakin voice* From my point of view all their Terminator figures are stunt doubles!

:lol

I love how Lucas thought that having characters repeat lines from the OT in a whinier voice would be some sort of epic poetry. Imagine if that's what everyone did after the PT as well:

"Only a master of evil Darth."

"From my point of view YOU'RE the master of evil."

"Once Snoke gets what he wants, he'll crush you."

"From my point of view YOU'RE trying to crush me."

*Han sighs, looks at the camera, and then does a slo-mo reverse swan dive off the bridge like Ripley in Alien 3 to die with his dignity intact*

Rey: "Nooooo!"

Well **** you it's a priority to me! :panic:

Hey stop quoting me DAMMIT. Stop responding to my posts DAMMIT. Someone get this psycho off of me!

Your levity is good. It relieves tension and the fear that Hot Toys will never make anything of interest ever again.

*Haydakin voice* From my point of view all their Terminator figures are stunt doubles! Seriously though, I think there's as much case for calling any given Terminator sculpt a 'stunt double' as there is for Luke, Han and Obi-wan. And that's why I personally don't consider the book closed on Terminator. Also they never made Kyle Reese - considering a version of him was the first ever MMS figure it's disappointing they didn't see fit to revisit him and make the 1984 version that fans wanted. However if Hot Toys think they're done with Terminator then there's nothing I can do about it and so be it.

Colonial Marines 2.0 could be incredible though, with massive scope for improvement over the original releases. They're anything but 'generic' as far as I'm concerned but again if Hot Toys disagrees then they disagree.

:lol Yeah a few of the Terminator figures are from the stunt double collection. DX13 and Tech Noir are excellent. T-1000 has aged but overall is pretty good especially what you got for the price back then. MMS 117 was pretty good when it came out, especially comparing it to that awful Sideshow Uncle Bob, but overtime lost it's lustre. I am not sure which one I hate more ,DX10 or BD T1. DX10 totally reminds me of the stunt biker guy in the Freightliner truck chase. It is so bad.

I would love to see another Uncle Bob that is on par with DX13. I would love to see a new Endoskeleton. At this point I just don't see it happening amd I can't really blame Hot Toys for not wanting to bother. That being said if they have no intentions of using these licenses, I wish they would drop them and perhaps another company could take a crack at them.

My problem is I wouldn't want it to be 'on par' with DX13, I'd want it to be better...and that of course sets up a need for a new BD set. I fully admit that it really could be a never ending cycle for me.

However, and maybe I'm naive, I think another run at T2 would be pretty well received generally even if it didn't include John Connor. Even if it was just a new clean Uncle Bob and a new T-1000, I think this section would liven up significantly. Maybe it wouldn't be reflective of the wider collecting community?

Just it seems to me that most people recognise that MMS117 didn't nail it - yes it was vastly better than the Sideshow figure - but once we got accustomed to sculpts at that detail level it became apparent for many people that 'lifelike' did not equal 'great likeness'. Once we got accustomed to an Arnie figure getting an actual muscle body (which the SS figure did not have) many people realised that the head/body proportions were way off on the 117 aswell - just in the other direction this time. DX10 came out and somewhat rectified that latter problem and yet it brought a swathe of downgrades - again according to a great many people seemingly. I'm sure some are totally happy with what they've got but if you go by comments routinely made in this forum people find themselves unsatisfied with any current representation of a clean T2 Arnold.

The T-1000, to my eyes, only looks like Robert Patrick when wearing the motorcycle helmet and sunglasses. Great set but not a great likeness overall.

None of it will happen but I'm just imagining the shock and I daresay enthusiasm if it did - failing that it would actually be positive news if we found out that Hot Toys relinquished their hold on the licenses. You'd hope someone else would lap them up and make them their banner licenses as they once were for Hot Toys.

I almost got an Affleck Batman despite hating the movie but thankfully the one I wanted sold out (the regular look) and isn't available anymore. I was actually relieved. :lol

Hot Toys isn't even that great anymore. They peaked a couple of years ago. Most of their figures are so restrictive, especially when you compare them to smaller figures that can be posed in a variety of ways. I'm not really seeing any improvements from them in any area, they're not evolving. Even with the Star Wars and superhero stuff. I can't believe how excited people are about the Affleck Batman saying it's the best figure ever when it is basically the same type of Batman Hot Toys has been doing, albeit with a slightly more poseable body, no rubber and a paper cape. His faces still look so unnatural and the armored Batman in particular is the epitome of their needless rubber fetish that they have. Maybe it's a blessing that they're not really doing anything with these Alien and robots lines. A new Terminator would just be like the crappy and basic MMS 238 I bet. As far as designs go, they've made it loud and clear they'll never get past restrictive, deteriorating rubber like ED-209 or the Alien Warrior. Likeness wise? Sculpts probably wouldn't be any better than that awful looking Ripley, so no loss there.

Best "Aliens and Robots" thing they've done to my mind is Damaged Robocop and Murphy. They actually put effort into that set.
I basically said this in the '79 Ripley thread. :lol

Yeah, I'm out pretty much. I got the great figures from a few years back. Nothing good on the way, just happy meal toys & rinse / repeat insanity at insultingly high prices.

Blech. :moon

Also they never made Kyle Reese - considering a version of him was the first ever MMS figure it's disappointing they didn't see fit to revisit him and make the 1984 version that fans wanted. However if Hot Toys think they're done with Terminator then there's nothing I can do about it and so be it.
This.
At this point I want any company to do Reese not just HT. It's a basic figure. No engineering required. Michael Biehn looks like a guy you can work with.
Jeans, shirt, sneakers, coat, shotgun and a bag with homemade explosives. Easy

My problem is I wouldn't want it to be 'on par' with DX13, I'd want it to be better...and that of course sets up a need for a new BD set. I fully admit that it really could be a never ending cycle for me.

However, and maybe I'm naive, I think another run at T2 would be pretty well received generally even if it didn't include John Connor. Even if it was just a new clean Uncle Bob and a new T-1000, I think this section would liven up significantly. Maybe it wouldn't be reflective of the wider collecting community?

Just it seems to me that most people recognise that MMS117 didn't nail it - yes it was vastly better than the Sideshow figure - but once we got accustomed to sculpts at that detail level it became apparent for many people that 'lifelike' did not equal 'great likeness'. Once we got accustomed to an Arnie figure getting an actual muscle body (which the SS figure did not have) many people realised that the head/body proportions were way off on the 117 aswell - just in the other direction this time. DX10 came out and somewhat rectified that latter problem and yet it brought a swathe of downgrades - again according to a great many people seemingly. I'm sure some are totally happy with what they've got but if you go by comments routinely made in this forum people find themselves unsatisfied with any current representation of a clean T2 Arnold.

The T-1000, to my eyes, only looks like Robert Patrick when wearing the motorcycle helmet and sunglasses. Great set but not a great likeness overall.

None of it will happen but I'm just imagining the shock and I daresay enthusiasm if it did - failing that it would actually be positive news if we found out that Hot Toys relinquished their hold on the licenses. You'd hope someone else would lap them up and make them their banner licenses as they once were for Hot Toys.

To be honest of the older franchises i.e Aliens, Robocop, Predator or Terminator the line Hot Toys covered best was probably the Terminator line. Sure people had complaints about the likeness of the figures but in fairness to Hot Toys they did cover all of Arnie's looks from the first and second Terminator movies.

I think if any line has a chance of not being revisited its the Terminator line. That's not to say they couldn't still do some great figures from the line they missed out on first time. I'd love to see a 1984 Endo, a John Connor figure from T2 and the Kyle Reese 84 figure is always much sought after by people on these boards. I'd also love to see Hot Toys take a shot at a 1/6th harley from T2.

They can't if HT has them all. They won't share. And they won't make **** at the same time.

That's my point...I don't think that's the case anymore.

The whole point would be to offer competition so offering the same or similar items would be ideal. Or in this case, just competition to HTs so there's more variety in the market.

That's my point...I don't think that's the case anymore.

The whole point would be to offer competition so offering the same or similar items would be ideal. Or in this case, just competition to HTs so there's more variety in the market.

That's true but what i've now decided or having been forced to do because Hot Toys aren't focusing on older licenses is to go back to my first love which is mainly vehicles and in particular I'm gonna only focus on picking up licenses which offer 1/6th scale vehicles. In the past I would have collected a lot of figures from Hot Toys but due to the ever increasing costs I can't really afford to do this any longer. Space wise collecting 1/6th scale vehicles is not very practical but to me the amount of detail and sheer scale and presence makes up for that. I only have space for one fortunately.

The only licenses which Hot Toys are covering which may do is the BTTF Delorean part 2 and the BVS Batmobile. Also on the lookout for the Blitzway 1/6th scale Ecto 1. Once I pick up just one of these I've decided I'm out of collecting hot toys for good no matter what they come out with(even the aliens colonial marines).

Last edited:
Back