Is there a such thing as too much service?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hairlesswookiee

PALPATINE CRUSADER!!!!
Reaction score
A friend told me about an annoying waiter that he had when out for dinner over the weekend. Between the waiter and the manger stopping by every few minutes he counted at least 6 times he was interrupted when eating and having a conversation with his wife.

What do you guys think, is too much service just as bad as poor/not enough service??

~~I waited tables when I was in college, and would tell customers when I brought their food that I'd leave them alone unless they flagged me down or their glasses were empty. Good medium??

It is annoying when a waitperson is constantly at your table. I think checking in once during the meal to make sure everything is ok..and then again after to see if anyone wants dessert is sufficient. Of course if you notice empty drinks - you should fill the water or ask if they would like another beverage..but people usually go to dinner to socialize and you should let them do that without too many interruptions.

It's a careful line to walk in some ways. I guess the waiter should pick up a bit on the vibe of the table, but I would probably be miffed if I was in Jen's position and had an issue but the waiter didn't know about it because they only came by once during the course of actually eating. Too much can also happen and can be annoying.

Kinda depends where it is, I think.

If it's a typical restaurant that everyone's been to before then I prefer to be left alone. I don't need 3 different waiters and managers to come around to ask me how my Grand Slam breakfast was. :lol

But the other night I was at a Himalayan restaurant I never been before and ordering some unusual food. There it was nice to have people checking to see if we liked it or wanted more of something and all of that.

They definately shouldn't be interrupting conversations though.

Six times seems ridiculous... that being said, I'd appreciate the service but it'd be annoying to keep getting disturbed. :lol

One or two times is good enough for me.

It is annoying when a waitperson is constantly at your table. I think checking in once during the meal to make sure everything is ok..and then again after to see if anyone wants dessert is sufficient. Of course if you notice empty drinks - you should fill the water or ask if they would like another beverage..but people usually go to dinner to socialize and you should let them do that without too many interruptions.

I agree with this. Just check in once in awhile to see if the customer needs anything and notice the empty drinks and the vibe. But other then that I've gotten some really annoying waiters and waitresses who are annoying and constantly bug. I'll be having a nice conversation with someone and trying to relax and enjoy the meal, and there they are again for the 5th time after I told them the food was fine and that I dont want any more coffee. And then when I do need them to give me the check so I can get the hell out of there they are never around.

I'd say no. And I wholly prefer "too much service" to the opposite. :lol

I completely agree, no service you might as well not eat there,

go to Golden corral, my cut sits empty, for 20-27 minutes, waitress passes by at least 5 times, no service at all, and, someone could say "they were busy" but she wasn't I saw her at least twice just going around, I had to stand up and ask someone else to give me soda...

then, I go to this restaurant that serves burgers, took like 50 minutes to get the food done, then when I needed a refill, never saw the lady again,

Isn't Golden Corral a buffet though.... :lol

yeah lol, but they are supposed to fill your cup, that's the problem,
you get your own food, but they won't put soda machines outside, they won't let you fill your own sodas, I really hate that place,
that's what I meant, the women working there are not doing s__t! they just sit you down, and they bring the sodas, I had to ask other people because the woman designed for my area couldn't bother to do her job :monkey4

Catch 22: If they're not around when you want them, then it's considered bad service. If they're around too much i.e. when you don't need them, then it's too much service.

I am having trouble getting past calling them "waitpersons".

If there was a thread entitled "post your term that epitomizes excessive political correctness" I think it would be hard to beat that one!:lol

you can visit my table and fill my drink as many times as you want. Just do it quietly and move on. Dont ask me and wait for an answer.... :monkey1

I am having trouble getting past calling them "waitpersons".

If there was a thread entitled "post your term that epitomizes excessive political correctness" I think it would be hard to beat that one!:lol

It's just easier to use...:lol A waitperson can be male or female...the other way I would need to say waiter/waitress.

I suppose I could also say wait staff.... I just like making things simple. :lecture :lol

It's just easier to use...:lol A waitperson can be male or female...the other way I would need to say waiter/waitress.

I suppose I could also say wait staff.... I just like making things simple. :lecture :lol

I can get behind that. I believe in keeping things as simple as possible.

Slightly related but not, it seems to me it would be easier on the servers if they filled up my cup with maybe only 4 or 5 ice cubes instead of the 10-15 that they usually do. If you gave me more soda in my cup initially, perhaps you wouldn't have to come back 3 more times to bring me a refill??

I'm sure there's science behind it, but _____ science.

Slightly related but not, it seems to me it would be easier on the servers if they filled up my cup with maybe only 4 or 5 ice cubes instead of the 10-15 that they usually do. If you gave me more soda in my cup initially, perhaps you wouldn't have to come back 3 more times to bring me a refill??

I'm sure there's science behind it, but _____ science.

You count your ice cubes? :monkey3

I like to have a lot of ice. I like my drinks cold! And then I like to chew the ice cubes after they have been soaking in whatever I am drinking and they still have a hint of the flavor on them.

I'm probably a really annoying dinner companion. :lol

Back