Is the original GI Joe movie really that bad?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I loved the movie when I was a kid, but at the same time I never thought any of that **** was cheesey as a kid. Nowadays, sure its not technically good, but its still awesome.

I actually really liked it. that being said I was a kid and the cartoon was all I knew of G.I. Joe. I can understand why those who grew up with the comic would be mad about it changing the whole joe story but for me it was good.

Cause the cartoon series made Cobra look like a circus than an international terrorist organization. Cobra Commander was a joke, how could he have been a leader. The introduction of Cobra-La even made it dumber. Plus the cartoon never gave any characters individuality or display any skill level.

But the good things about the movie were the title song, the battles won were even, and Duke almost died (but I wished he did cause it would have made the movie better).

Last edited:
I'd also like to add that the animation was really good as well. Famous Japan animation house Toei handled the movie, and if you look closely a lot of times the character looked like a mix of designs from the show, and the Fist of the North Star animated movie.

But the good things about the movie were the title song, the battles won were even, and Duke almost died (but I wished he did cause it would have made the movie better).

Actually Duke WAS supposed to die...however, it was the feedback that they received from young kids over Optimus Prime dying (and other favored TFs) in the Transformers Animated Movie...that had Hasbro end up changing it.

They changed some of the script after Duke got stabbed by Serpentor's snake...I believe having Scarlett say "He's gone into a coma..." instead of "He's gone..." or something like that. Also during the celebration sequence when all the Joes are celebrating after defeating Cobra-La, they added an audio clip where Doc radios in and says Duke is going to be ok.

The movie rocked!

I still can't unscrew screws with my fingernails but I'm trying!

Well I was going to wait for the upcoming Hasbro Battle Pack DVD to watch the movie but I broke down and just watched it on youtube.

I loved it! Of course it had its ridiculous moments but it also had plenty of elements straight out of Aliens, the original Ninja Gaiden NES game, and Starcraft (you almost have to wonder if part of Blizzard's inspiration for the Zergs came from Cobra La.)

Lots of cool fights, great animation, overall just a campy but extremely fun movie. And boy was it obvious that they were really trying to emulate the Optimus Prime/Hot Rod relationship with Duke and Falcon, pity the fallout from Prime's death caused them to wuss out on Duke's sacrifice. Still a totally cool movie though. *Much* better than I would have guessed.

Now SS make me a 1/6 scale v2 Roadblock with Cobra Commander snake wrapped around his torso! :rock

And Cobra Commander being some multi-eyed alien freak was just uncalled for. He was clearly a caucassian in the tv show, not some white skinned freak.

Actually CC's revamped origin in the movie could easily be applied to the regular series by just assuming he applied some flesh colored make-up around his eyes when he donned the hooded mask. Kind of like Jack Nicholson's Joker.

And Cobra La wasn't so bad. They were very "Zergish" and Nemesis Enforcer was voiced by none other than Mr. Optimus Prime himself, Peter Cullen. :rock

And Cobra La wasn't so bad. They were very "Zergish" and Nemesis Enforcer was voiced by none other than Mr. Optimus Prime himself, Peter Cullen. :rock

"Voiced." He just made a lot of sounds like a pterodactyl! :lol

Did you know the voice of the Savage Dragon is also Ed the hyena is also the singing voice of Rasputin? Jim Cummings.

"Voiced." He just made a lot of sounds like a pterodactyl! :lol

Any Peter Cullen connection is cool in my book. :)

I just bought the movie here:

NEVER MIND, LOOKS LIKE A SCAM ARTIST

That's a good price for anyone else still looking to pick it up since its now out of print. I know Hasbro is supposedly releasing it in one of their upcoming 25th anniversary battle packs but I didn't want to have to shell out $29.99 to get it with some action figures I won't want when its $10 less on the 'bay. Can't wait for it to arrive!

Last edited:
The movie was awesome.
I loved the new characters training to be JOES, like Ratpack, Big Lob and Law & Order and Jinx.
The scene when Cobra Commander claps and says "Bravo" when Nemisis Enforcer beats up Road Block(I think) and then NE backhands Cobra Commander...just awesome.
I've looked on amazon.com for the movie and some people are selling it on their auction pages for up to $100? WTF?
:chew

Any Peter Cullen connection is cool in my book. :)

I just bought the movie here:

https://cgi.ebay.com/G-I-Joe-The-Mo...goryZ617QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

That's a good price for anyone else still looking to pick it up since its now out of print. I know Hasbro is supposedly releasing it in one of their upcoming 25th anniversary battle packs but I didn't want to have to shell out $29.99 to get it with some action figures I won't want when its $10 less on the 'bay. Can't wait for it to arrive!

Holy crap, this seller just had 14 negative feedbacks filed against him in the last few days from various people who bought the GI Joe movie from him and never received it. I'm assuming I'll be added to that list as well. Ignore my previous recommendation. :monkey1

Well what do you know, I filed a fraud claim with Paypal and the movie magically showed up in my mailbox a few days later. I still wouldn't recommend buying through that guy with all of his recent negative feedbacks. Its sweet to be able to watch the flick on the big screen. :)

I just got it on Saturday and afte watching the movie I watched all the PSA's they had after the episodes.
One thing I never got was why the JOE's never helped any of those kids.
The one kid drowning...how about saving him 1st then teaching him how to tread water...LOL
:chew

Back