Is the original GI Joe movie really that bad?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've never seen the movie but I'm aware that it was blasted for the introduction of Cobra-La and the changes made to Cobra Commander's origins. Did that really "ruin" the movie? I mean is it really bad overall or just "cheesy 80's cartoon" bad? If I like the show can the movie be that different?

All I've seen are a couple of clips and that sweet opening at the Statue of Liberty.

Yes, the GI Joe movie was really bad. For one thing, they introduced the Cobra-La. The Cobra-La was so bad that Larry Hama refused to write them into the comic. The comic has the best GI Joe stories without question. Falcon was a lame addition to the group. He is a cool looking figure but the officer younger brother of Duke, who is an enlisted man. You can watch the entire GI Joe movie on youtube if you want. Some people love the cheesy aspect of it, but I never cared for it. It was so bad the movie was scheduled for theatrical release but was pushed to direct to video. Watch it if you must, but I warned you.

I've never seen the movie but I'm aware that it was blasted for the introduction of Cobra-La and the changes made to Cobra Commander's origins. Did that really "ruin" the movie? I mean is it really bad overall or just "cheesy 80's cartoon" bad? If I like the show can the movie be that different?

All I've seen are a couple of clips and that sweet opening at the Statue of Liberty.

You've never seen the GIJOE movie but you're a huge fan???:confused:

That's like saying I'm a Star Wars fan but only saw the PT. :lol

Anyways, the movie is bad but in a MST3K kind of way. :D

It's entertaining but it screwed up continuity big time. If you are a fan of Sgt. Slaughter and Serpentor you'll love it. If you hate both you'll hate it.

Let's face it, RAH the cartoon wasn't exactly perfect to begin with. I think of several RAH episodes that were worse than this movie.

Cold Slither anybody??:rotfl

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUU9ldY7J78

Last edited:
ok.. Cold Slither Rocked! :rock

and so did the Viper.... "Iv come at noon.. to Vwipe the windows" .. awesome! :monkey2

the movie was awesome when I watched it as a kid. I still like it today! Honestly I'd say if you don't like it then you can't be that big of a fan! Love it for what it is!!!

Yeah, I'm sentimental for the movie. And I do like some parts of the movie (the opening, Slaughter, the Renegades infiltration of the Terrordrome). I don't mind watching it now and then, but it's not where I would have taken the movie if I were in charge, but it was good for a 5 year olds sensibilities.

Some of you need to watch the movie from a kids perspective, not a adult.

That is the same reason most sheeple bash the Star Wars PT.

The opening of the G.I. JOE movie is by far the best part... and sadly will also be better than the live action film. :monkey2

Come on, let's wait until we at least see a trailer for the movie.

They have to adapt it slightly from what it is in the comics and the cartoons.

I didn't think Transformers was going to be worth a steaming pile, but I thought it turned out awesome.

The movie will not take away from what is already there, it is just a different medium to bring to life what we watched as kids.

Anyone watch Sigma Six?????

Anyone watch Sigma Six?????

I watched a few episodes...despite the anime corniness that came with it I do think it was a radical enough change to be really unique.

I like that Firefly started out as a G.I. Joe and then turned into a spy...really cool there...and that Cobra Commander was actually a force to be reckon with.

TF also had Steven Spielberg as Executive Producer and two Co-Producers who gave a crap about the source material.

And, for as much heat as he gets Michael Bay is also >>>> Stephen Sommers.

I'm afraid the G.I. JOE movie is D.O.A.

This movie has so much more going against it than TRANSFORMERS did, from top to bottom.

Very true...the biggest outrage were the TFs designs...but everyone turned out to like them for the most part or were converted once they saw the film.

GI Joe is flipping things around totally...at least Transformers had the premise behind it all the same as the cartoon, comics, etc.

Cobra Commander is a man. A spore pod blew up in his face when he was younger. It gave him 6 or so eyes. That's why he wears the mask/hood. At least, that is what he explains in the movie. Then another pod Cobra La used on him later, de-evolved him to a snake. The movie technically ends the tv series. If you like the series, you'll like the movie.

Cobra Commander is a man. A spore pod blew up in his face when he was younger. It gave him 6 or so eyes. That's why he wears the mask/hood. At least, that is what he explains in the movie. Then another pod Cobra La used on him later, de-evolved him to a snake. The movie technically ends the tv series. If you like the series, you'll like the movie.

Correct, but he wasn't a "human" man but a Cobra La man. In the flashback he has blue skin before the accident.

But Cobra Commander kept telling Roadblock he was a man. wasssssssssss a maaaaaaaan.:lol

At least I think it was Roadblock, blinded I believe. It has been a while.

I watched a few episodes...despite the anime corniness that came with it I do think it was a radical enough change to be really unique.

I like that Firefly started out as a G.I. Joe and then turned into a spy...really cool there...and that Cobra Commander was actually a force to be reckon with.

Sigma Six was not bad, yes very much an Anime but it was a reimagining of the original series the same way as the Transformers Anime that come out every year in Japan are a reimagining of G1. I am a little sad that it has not come back. Oh well, at least Ninja Turtles still comes on.

That was the GREATEST 80's CARTOON OPENING EVER...and the music for it was perfect! :rock :rock

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9YeD4IOs8s

Ha, that was awesome. I definitely love the opening. It looked like Cobras were blowing up, I take it people actually died in the movie like in the animated Transformers flick? I'll have to see it, I already know that they make Cobra Commander all freaky so I don't know how watching it could really ruin anything.

I remember after playing with the figures and having only the awesome filecards and card art to go off how disappointing the regular cartoon was when I saw it with all the "Yo Joes" and 'A-Team'-style violence, but eventually I grew to love it and its particular slant on the Joe universe. I imagine the same will hold true for the animated movie. I can't wait until Hasbro rereleases it on DVD as part of the upcoming movie battle pack. :)

Back