Is it just me that find Hot Toys to be very addicting?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Me and you both my friend. I started with the SSC Hulkbuster a month ago. As soon as I laid eyes on the Iron Man's and Blade, it was over.

By the end of next week I'll have a collection of 12 Hot Toys procured in less than 4 weeks. That doesn't include the Mark V & Mark II AUV pre-ordered :slap

I felt obligated to hunt down the figures I had to have for fear of (1) never being able to find them again or (2) their market price skyrocketing like the HT Mark I. Luckily, I got most of what I wanted so I can relax..................for a minute :wink1:

I know what you mean, my wife wants to strangle me sometimes cause soo many of the figures I want come out around the same time and like with most of Hot Toys, once it's sold out, it's done they are moving on to something else and if you missed out, you either just don't get it or pay black market prices on Ebay LOL! Though lately Hot Toys is doing alot of 2.0's which some people complain about, but I really like cause

1. It improves on the earlier version, address alot of faults and issues

2. Gives us poor unfortunates who didn't get ahold of it first release to have a second chance.

Recently experienced this with the Celtic Predator, wanted one sooo bad but not bad enought to pay 400+ on ebay for one. Thank GOD I didn't cause now the 2.0 is coming and is even better than the earlier version:panic:

To answer the initial question on this thread see here:
Recent Acquisitions in the past 3 months:
Kaustic Plastic Centurion
Kaustic Plastic Legionary
ACI Roman General
CM Toys Spartacus
HT Avengers Loki = Christmas present!!! Love my Wife!!!

Pre Orders
HT Man of Steel
HT Jor-El = Bday gift, have to wait till February ;(
HT General Zod
HT Celtic Predator

And this is not counting what I have already that I didn't get in the last 3 months LOL!!!!!

Last edited:
No, most of us in this hobby are "addicted" to HT.

The best thing to do is be as picky as you can, and really think about which figures you want and don't want. Just because a figure looks great and the detail is amazing, doesn't mean you have to get it.

When I first got into Hot Toys years ago, I was buying them all (of course they were much cheaper years ago, like the Aliens Marines being under $100 each).

Then I realized I lost interest in the hobby because I was buying them all. So I sold everything and took a break, I came back into the hobby a year or two after that with renewed logic. The figure prices went up, but I loved the new level of details HT was achieving, so I got back into the hobby, but I said I would be very picky and only get the figures that truly mean something to me. It's worked out ever since. But even with collecting one or two lines now, HT prices are going up even more and I might have to get even pickier or take a break from the hobby.

I started about a year ago and have 13 hts already with 7 or 8 on preorder for the new year. It's definitely not a hobby that's easy to quit. I'm trying to only focus on two lines but every once in a while I get an urge to start a new one and have to tell myself no. It's definitely an addiction but one that is more enjoyable than it is bad for you.:lol

I first discovered them by coincidence when I found a picture of the DX13. This was in February, once I started to look for other figures I was sold. PO the DX13 and didn't stop buying since than. I think I bought around 30 figures... Got an overview in the purchase topic of 2013. Bought this week the 9 avengers figures from collector who was selling them all at once. Am I addicted to it? Hell yeah! And I got 3 PO for this year and I might add a 4th one already.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think the problem for most people in this hobby is they start collecting a bunch of different lines and lose focus of what they really want to collect. It's fine buying characters from lines that aren't your main focus once in a while but the trap happens when people start doing that too often thinking "now I have to complete this line too". You just have to be choosy with what you buy.

My first Hot Toys was MMS10 the Robocop in 2009ish, back then I got my first Job at Microsoft., it's coincidence, when I walk through some Hobby shop in mall I saw that figure, and bring back my childhood memories, I bought it for around $95 and done... my one and only figures until 2011...

and then, the nightmare begins.......

Thanks God, I only focused on 3 line (with the greatest number of figures) for now, Batman (until now), Terminator (85% already sold because I want to open another line), Avengers (latest) oh and.. I sold my Robocop for $380 just before they annouced the diecast remake, :p

I have felt the addiction. I ordered Jor El in anticipation of MOS Superman and the moment I opened it up, I was hooked. Lucky for me, the wife thought he looked amazing, too.

After receiving him, I have MOS Superman (of course!), and TDK Armory 3 pack preordered, bought me a Reeve Superman and am considering Zod and Adam West Batman. Whew! I guess you can see my focus...DC movieverse.

Definitely addicted...and the sad part is there is no end in sight so far. I would get a figure...put it in display and then start thinking about what to get next within 24h :( My collection habits tend to go in cycles..be it models, pens, watches etc...I just hope this 1/6 madness will pass soon.

Hot Toys are VERY addicting! :slap Yep I'm addicted too!! :gah:

Got my first one at the end of October 2013- my favourite character, Loki - Told myself (and everyone else) that this 'was the only one I'd be getting from this line' (famous last words!)

As of today I now have 4 in hand, one en-route and 2 on pre-order and definitely will be buying more this year. Trying to stick to Avengers & Thor lines only - but not holding my breath on that promise!! :lol These figures are truly amazing and I really wish I had started collecting them sooner! :thud:

I started with Hot Toys figures but then switched over to statues. If we are talking about addiction then it is really easy to start buying and pre-ordering everything even for characters you do not care for. I just have to constantly remind myself about self control and not give in to my urges. The financials are not too big of a problem for me - it is the out-of-control spending that scares me. I started this hobby in January of 2013 and I have already spent $10K in just that one year on collectible figures and statues. Imagine what you can do with that kind of money.

I know this hobby can spiral out of control easily for me and that is why I have created an Excel spreadsheet listing all the figures, prices, and total so as to constantly remind me of how much I'm spending. Sideshow, Koto, Bowen, and etc has hooked me but you just got to know yourself and remain in control. Good luck Freaks.

That's a good idea, I forget sometimes how much they cost so doing my own spreadsheet now :p It scares me sometimes how easily I'll drop €200 on a figure that I'm not even raving about, used to be a really really good character I loved and I "might" pay €200, now its like ah sure wouldn't mind a DX12 sure only €250. Scary.

My Hot Toys obsession started when I got the Avengers Mark VII and it was the VIP on with the mini holographic Mark VII. Now I have Marks I-VII, I have the Mech Test Tony Stark, Tony Stark Armor Testing Set, Tony Stark the Mechanic, Mark XXI Midas. I have the Mark XVII Heartbreaker, XXXIII Silver Centurion, XXXV Red Snapper, XXXVIII Igor, XLII, and Mark XXXIX Gemini (whenever that goes up for pre order) all on Pre order. As you can see its Iron Man focused.

I have know Hot Toys way back mid 2005, and started purchasing loose parts on their Military Lines..went a break on 2007 up to 2010 (diverted my attention on other hobbies) and went back to it again on 2012 by buying loose parts again.

As for me, when you been in this 1/6 scale hobby for a long time, you started to become picky and become numb on some releases.

Purchase my first boxed Hot toys in 2013 because my son likes it (Hot Toys Iron Man 3 Tony Stark Mech Test) and pre-ordered it's MK42.

Hopefully I would be able to continue to ignore the itch...

If you happen to find a cure for this addiction let me know.

I preordered the HT Iron Man Mark XLII and was about to hit the preorder button on the Starbooster that just came out.

I cannot help getting caught in all the detail and great work. fortunelly I´m not rich, otherwise I would be sepending ridiculous amounts of money in this figures

I'm addicted in the sense that I without fail add at least 1 new collectible to my collection a month

I see some on here literally buying everything as soon as they come out from HK who are way worse so I'm content I have my 'addiction' under control ;)

I'm addicted in the sense that I without fail add at least 1 new collectible to my collection a month

I see some on here literally buying everything as soon as they come out from HK who are way worse so I'm content I have my 'addiction' under control ;)

I'm the same way. I typically need to get my "fix" once a month. If I haven't gotten a new figure for a month, every single new release becomes twice as enticing and I start looking at figures I was semi interested in, and try rationalizing how it would fit perfectly into my display.

Speaking of which... My last figure was midas, and that was a month ago...

Has anyone done the "what was I thinking" after getting a figure that you thought you really wanted? Hasn't happened to me YET......:pray:

Has anyone done the "what was I thinking" after getting a figure that you thought you really wanted? Hasn't happened to me YET......:pray:

Hot Toys Green Goblin. $99 dollars sideshow christmas liquidation sale a few years back. Turd figure, turd character. Thought I needed it to round out the spider man line. Jettisoned it and made 30 bucks. Hehehe. Really set me down the path of buying what I like. Unfortunately, I have bought just about everything sense. Hahaha :lol

Hot Toys Green Goblin. $99 dollars sideshow christmas liquidation sale a few years back. Turd figure, turd character. Thought I needed it to round out the spider man line. Jettisoned it and made 30 bucks. Hehehe. Really set me down the path of buying what I like. Unfortunately, I have bought just about everything sense. Hahaha :lol

Lol. I hear you. At least you didn't get stuck paying a lot for it.

Hot Toys are addicting for sure. This month marks one year collecting hot toys for me. I purchased 35 of them in my first year collecting them. As of right now i will easily buy another 40 this year, i love this addiction/hobby :yess:

Back