Is it just me that find Hot Toys to be very addicting?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry to join this thread so very late on in. I had a bit of a shock the other day. I....

Counted my 1/6 scale figures. I was not ready for the reality of it all, and that is no joke.

They are not all HT, of which I have 14...but if we include that as a part of my over all collection of SSC, HT, Medicom, DC Direct and misc....

I have 95 figures. :thud:

My name is Daron, and I am officially addicted.

I picked up DX05 Indy DX06 Jack and DX09 Batman all in the last 2 weeks... Im looking at DX08 Joker and Avatar Jake Sully in the next few thats over 1000 in a few weeks time... Now up to 42 1/6 scale figures!!! U can never have enough Detolfs ether...

My name is Glenn and i am a 1/6th addict.
I am a huge Star Wars fan and have over 55 SSC 1/6th Star Wars figures.
I too got bitten by the Hot Toys bug when the first BD Iron Man came out.
I had over 20 Hot toys figures in which i sold all off at the start of last yr in preperation for the birth of my first child.
Now that my little girl has just turned 1,i marked the occasion for myself by buying the HT Spiderman and the DX Keaton Bats....alas the slippery slide begins again!!!

I too wonder if I will ever be able to get out of this hobby. Not sure if I can if Marvel movies with characters that I like keep coming out. I'll get this TDKR Batman. No more movies from that guy. Good there.

But with several more IM to be made, Thor, and CA movies and Avengers movies, I'm hard pressed to get out anytime soon.

I love being in this time where CGI and companies like HT can make all those comic book characters I love 3D. Awesome. Great time to be alive!!

I only have 7 HTs figures. Once Thor, Black Widow & Hulk comes up, I will retire collecting these. Not as addicting as collecting statues.

Can someone help me understand the excitement of statues?

Sure *rolleyes*

1) no seams. This is the biggest knock I have with figures.
2) Size & weight.
3) Price. For scale and dollar value, statue has it all.
4) Color paint app or skin tone, it doesn't look plastic. More vibrant in color.
5) limited ES. Far smaller quantities are made of statues then figures.
6) most figures need a display stand and those pegs holding it is a big detraction. Looks like something is up the crotch area.
7) The most important is that Hot Toys do not make comic book adaption characters!

:lecture

Sure *rolleyes*

2) Size & weight.
4) Color paint app or skin tone, it doesn't look plastic. More vibrant in color.
6) most figures need a display stand and those pegs holding it is a big detraction. Looks like something is up the crotch area.
7) The most important is that Hot Toys do not make comic book adaption characters!

The only thing that got me was your number 7. I've seen some statues that look cool, don't get me wrong. But not enough to get me out of HT yet.

Sure *rolleyes*

2) Size & weight.

Actually, I cannot find anything to contradict in that list, they are all excellent points well made. And when it comes to the statue collecting side of this hobby, I have seen some real beauties, I really like a big HULK-BUSTER statue I saw recently, fantastic work of art. I can seriously see the appeal.

But I personally, I just prefer the figures. I always have. I used to bug my mother to make new costumes for my MEGO sized figures as a kid (and she did too :yess:) so it is something that has always been with me.

I started off only wanting the Mk VI and put it on pre order, but then I saw War Machine and thought I had to have that bad boy so ended up getting that first. Then I started looking at the Mk IV with the head sculpt and decided that I might as well complete the IM 2 set (I'm not fussed about the V).

But then the re-makes of the Mk I and Mk II came along and I thought how cool it would be to have the suits from the first movie so they had to be bought as well. I thought I'd be able to have a nice break until the Mk VII was released and then that would do me fine until IM 3 came out (as you can tell I'm a big IM fan), but the more I see other releases, my eyes are wandering all over the place.

Now I'm thinking about getting the classic Predator, and the CR Superman (as well as the MOS version if/when that's released), hopefully they'll do Batman from TDKR and Batman Returns, Avengers Cap would be cool to have and Robocop is one of my all time favourite films so I have to have that one when it's re-released and now I've gone and pre ordered the Sideshow VI bust.

This hobby is definitely like crack cocaine, only even more 'moreish'.

Sure *rolleyes*

2) Size & weight.

:goodpost: :exactly:

The only pro for figures is the posing, but with HT that is getting worse and worse, people buy Batman and won't pose for fear of breaking, and the TFA Cap had a uselss muscle body hideen under the suit to prevent articulation.

With statues the chosen pose can make or break a statue, Babydoll is a win, Rinzler is a fail

Sure *rolleyes*

2) Size & weight.

:exactly: You nailed it bro.

I am suprised you have 7 HT figures, I thought you never bought HT, why did you buy them?

:exactly: You nailed it bro.

I am suprised you have 7 HT figures, I thought you never bought HT, why did you buy them?

I like the look of certain ones, that's why I bought em. However, the most pressing is the price that is deterring me from buying anymore. In percentage point, figures prices has significantly increased compare to statues. I think statues has more value for buck then collecting these 12" figures.

I like the look of certain ones, that's why I bought em. However, the most pressing is the price that is deterring me from buying anymore. In percentage point, figures prices has significantly increased compare to statues. I think statues has more value for buck then collecting these 12" figures.

I agree- SS statues seem to rise in value ..well some do. HT I feel maintains or now drops in value on most of their figures.

YES!! I'm a HOT TOYS figures addict...and I think I own ...90 figures...plus all the coming from the Avengers line... Iron Man ...Batmobile 1989...Terminator DX... :( ;) :) ...

I wanted hot toys for long time now but never could justify the price tag. I then sold a small portion of what was my then collection of toys and got me Mark I 2.0. WOW. The detail is crazy and now I can't stop buying and PO-ing!

I started with Hot Toys figures but then switched over to statues. If we are talking about addiction then it is really easy to start buying and pre-ordering everything even for characters you do not care for. I just have to constantly remind myself about self control and not give in to my urges. The financials are not too big of a problem for me - it is the out-of-control spending that scares me. I started this hobby in January of 2013 and I have already spent $10K in just that one year on collectible figures and statues. Imagine what you can do with that kind of money.

I know this hobby can spiral out of control easily for me and that is why I have created an Excel spreadsheet listing all the figures, prices, and total so as to constantly remind me of how much I'm spending. Sideshow, Koto, Bowen, and etc has hooked me but you just got to know yourself and remain in control. Good luck Freaks.

Back