Is it just me that find Hot Toys to be very addicting?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Has anyone done the "what was I thinking" after getting a figure that you thought you really wanted? Hasn't happened to me YET......:pray:

Not really

I've bought figures only to move then on not long afterwards (War Machine) and bought figures that really don't go with the rest of my display (Blitzway Carlito) but never (touch wood) really regretted a purchase once I have it in hand...

Hot Toys are addicting for sure. This month marks one year collecting hot toys for me. I purchased 35 of them in my first year collecting them. As of right now i will easily buy another 40 this year, i love this addiction/hobby :yess:

35 in a year equals more or less 3 a month, that to me is excessive :cuckoo:

Not really

I've bought figures only to move then on not long afterwards (War Machine) and bought figures that really don't go with the rest of my display (Blitzway Carlito) but never (touch wood) really regretted a purchase once I have it in hand...

That's great that you have not regretted a purchase. So far, I have had the luck same as you.

Hot Toys are addicting for sure. This month marks one year collecting hot toys for me. I purchased 35 of them in my first year collecting them. As of right now i will easily buy another 40 this year, i love this addiction/hobby :yess:

Dang. That is a lot in that time frame. :lol

I'll be graduating from college in a couple of months,
and I've been giving a serious thought on how to end my spending on toys. :lol

It's just really hard when part of the excitement of the hobby is to pre-order something new! :gah: :lol

I'll finalize a list soon of what I plan to pre-order and quit [stop] after that.
(and probably ask the mods to ban me if I go beyond that list. :lol :lol)

Maybe it's because I own a home, cars and have a kid...but 3 figures a month is a BIT much for sure!!! Doing quick napkin math thats around $9,600 USD using an average of $275 a pop.

Then not to mention the space I would need to display them properly. ha ha

Congrats to those who can do it though! A bit jealous here!!

Maybe it's because I own a home, cars and have a kid...but 3 figures a month is a BIT much for sure!!! Doing quick napkin math thats around $9,600 USD using an average of $275 a pop.

Then not to mention the space I would need to display them properly. ha ha

Congrats to those who can do it though! A bit jealous here!!

Lol, sooo true. If I end up getting 3-4 new ones per year, I consider that a successful run for me, lol...

(Pokes head out of a dumpster) Did someone say crack!

:lol

Its tough to resist, with so many great figures to chose from.. I have almost managed to keep the addiction under control with a strict regime of:
*Only Iron Man (fell off the wagon once - Jake Sully)
*Armor only (fell off the wagon once - Coulson)
*No red suits! (fell off the wagon slightly, with pre-order for Mk 42.. but it's mostly gold)

.. and I'm also getting the Chitauri twin pack, just to put some villainous variety into the display.

Obviously my Sideshow Star Wars figures don't count..this is an HT thread!:)

Last edited:
I think the problem for most people in this hobby is they start collecting a bunch of different lines and lose focus of what they really want to collect. It's fine buying characters from lines that aren't your main focus once in a while but the trap happens when people start doing that too often thinking "now I have to complete this line too". You just have to be choosy with what you buy.

Great point. It is the completing a line or a group mentality that also adds to the ongoing purchases and needless spending. I also stick with being picky or choosey but once in a while I would pick up a piece just for the hell of it if it has been a slow month or so.

What's killing me is the completist in me. I did pretty good until the Avengers hit and then it was so much so fast. I'm trying to figure out how to store all of these now..... Guardians and Ultron are going to kill me.

I promised myself I would stick to two lines, the completist nature in me can't afford to start anymore. Plus I think ironman and predator are completely opposite visually and a nice contrast. But I'd sure like to collect batman, robocop and some Star Wars figures if I had the money.

Collecting Ironman with make you broke with that line alone!! They have SOOO many IM figures alone!

They have IM 1-99 and then die cast and then done forget the new 2013 IM who comes with the EX santa suit and 1/6 Rudolph who's nose really glows. haha

I had about 40-50 figures at one point - all of the Iron Men that they had (I think it was only 15 at the time) plus a mixed bag of Predators, Batman, Terminator, etc.

One day it hit me....I will never have enough Hot Toys. I like practically everything they make. But, price and space (especially space enough to appreciate each figure) made me see the light. I was planning on putting them in storage and rotating them, like holiday decorations:slap

I sold off all of the Iron Men except for Iron Monger and Mark 1 (original release). I kept all of the big figures (EB Batman and EB Joker, Avatar, Hulk - because they impress me most). I sold off all of my Hot Toys terminators (I had everything from Terminator Salvation Endoes, Marcus Wright, and so on) and bought an EB BD T800. I sold off my Avengers line (except Hulk).

I sold off all of my Hot Toys Batman stuff except for One Bale Batman (Toyfair exclusive) and the Keaton Batman and they each have a vehicle.

I still have a lot of stuff, but just enough so I can properly display and enjoy them. I have 2 figures on preorder (Robocop with chair and ED 209). And the only deal I have with myself is the amount of figures - which is 25.

If something comes out I need, I just sell somebody. They always sell. I have almost always made money (Damn you T600!!!)

I guess, the point of this, is they are addicting and you need a plan to control it (unless you are rich, single, or have lot of space). I am married, a teacher, and have a modest home:)

:exactly:I consider myself lucky even having 1 figure on pre-order at a time

Yeah, I pretty much limit myself to 1 hot toys a year. Kinda sucks, and I have a really hard time making up my mind on what to get. It's really hard when the wait is so freaking long from announcement to release. I think this years figure will be the new Captain America (love the new suit). The problem is, I'll probably have to wait til next year when he comes out. The fact is, I probably could buy a couple more, but my lego addiction has kinda overtaken my HT. Oh, and the dang Wife/kids/house thing also screws things up :)

Back