Is Chris Nolan On Track To Becoming The Best Director Ever?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nolan is mediocre.

I've never met someone versed in film who thought Nolan was anything but adequate. I'm sure they're out there, but bear in mind most of "the kids" have been weened on a diet of Stephen Sommers and Michael Bay. We have a generation that thinks 300 is quality filmmaking and The Matrix is original. I wouldn't really invest too much time pointing out that Nolan can't even direct the action in his action movies. :D

I think if I see one more Dark Knight/Nolan fanboy lovefest thread, my head is going to...

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="https://www.youtube.com/v/oep4mRpmrkQ&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="https://www.youtube.com/v/oep4mRpmrkQ&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

So no, I don't think he is now, or ever will be, the best director ever.

not even in the same class with Kurosawa, Hitchcock, Spielberg, Scorsese, Kubrick and on and on.

:lecture :lecture :lecture :lecture

Some of you do know that movies were made before 2008, right?

I've never met someone versed in film who thought Nolan was anything but adequate. I'm sure they're out there, but bear in mind most of "the kids" have been weened on a diet of Stephen Sommers and Michael Bay. We have a generation that thinks 300 is quality filmmaking and The Matrix is original. I wouldn't really invest too much time pointing out that Nolan can't even direct the action in his action movies. :D

Nolan made an action movie?!

Off the charts, A+++++, GREAT movies by:

Spielberg:

Jaws
Close Encounters of the Third Kind
Raiders of the Lost Ark
E.T. The Extra Terrestrial
Schindler's List

Nolan:

The Dark Knight

Nolan's very, very good. But he needs to add a few more greats to his list to contend with the "best ever." He appears to be capable but we'll see after his next 2-3 films.

Yeah, saying things like the best ever is just silly. Spielburg is amazing beyond comprehention...but he's not the end all be all. Neither is Hitchcock, or Kubrick...or anyone. There IS no best ever.

Memento was good and somewhat original. Everything thing else I have seen by him has been pretty mediocre. I'm yet to see TDK.

To say he is one of the great directors is absurd.

I've never met someone versed in film who thought Nolan was anything but adequate. I'm sure they're out there, but bear in mind most of "the kids" have been weened on a diet of Stephen Sommers and Michael Bay. We have a generation that thinks 300 is quality filmmaking and The Matrix is original. I wouldn't really invest too much time pointing out that Nolan can't even direct the action in his action movies.

You hit the nail right on the head with that one.

Memento was good and somewhat original. Everything thing else I have seen by him has been pretty mediocre. I'm yet to see TDK.

To say he is one of the great directors is absurd.

You hit the nail right on the head with that one.

I can't say he's one of the greats but his first decade in the business has been more successful than most of the greats that people have mentioned so far in this thread. So he's still a rookie & he has made some high class movies as a rookie. I believe he is on the right track to greatness.
happy0034.gif

I really like all of Christopher Nolan's movies, and I think he is near the top of the heap for active directors today. There are a LOT of bums out there, so I get excited whenever I hear of a movie being released by people like Nolan and Fincher.

To be considered one of the greats though, you absolutely have to have sustained greatness. All the names have been said in this thread already, people like Hitchcock and Spielberg...they had/have greatness throughout their career...not to mention a few stinkers too.

I really like all of Christopher Nolan's movies, and I think he is near the top of the heap for active directors today. There are a LOT of bums out there, so I get excited whenever I hear of a movie being released by people like Nolan and Fincher.

To be considered one of the greats though, you absolutely have to have sustained greatness. All the names have been said in this thread already, people like Hitchcock and Spielberg...they had/have greatness throughout their career...not to mention a few stinkers too.

David Fincher is awesome, I can't wait for The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, it sounds cool & he's taking a risk, I love that.
happy0159.gif

Off the charts, A+++++, GREAT movies by:

Spielberg:

Jaws
Close Encounters of the Third Kind
Raiders of the Lost Ark
E.T. The Extra Terrestrial
Schindler's List

Nolan:

The Dark Knight

Sorry, but TDK is not quite as good as any of those other films.

Yes, we all get it...

TDK was a good film, but there's no need praising everything about it...

Was the grip boy one of the greatest? Maybe...

The truth is that Nolan has yet to prove that he can be one of the greatest...

And he won't do for another 30 years if he follows in the footsteps of the current greatest...we need some more movies...

Sorry, but TDK is not quite as good as any of those other films.

Of course the leader of the "TDK Backlash Brigade" would think so. I'm not saying TDK is as "perfect" a movie as say Raiders or Jaws, but its definitely a top shelf instant classic. I can easily include it on any list of "greatest films of all time."

:lol I'm leader of no "backlash brigade". I like the movie a lot, been buying the Hot Toys stuff, etc. But I'm also sane about it (for instance, I've "only" seen it twice, not a gazillion times). Some of you do need to sober up a bit on this film, for crying out loud. It's very good, but the hype still very much overshadows the overall quality of the film itself and the sum of its parts.

"Instant classic." "One of the greatest films of all time." I've even heard the term "masterpiece" used. That's just crazy talk at this point, imho. This very thread is symptomatic of what I'm talking about.

I actually meant to have a smiley after the "Backlash Brigade" comment. Your claims of "sanity" are nothing more than your way of saying that in your opinion it isn't as good as many other people feel it is. Which is fine. I however do think its the best film since the LOTR trilogy and stand by my opinion.

I actually meant to have a smiley after the "Backlash Brigade" comment. Your claims of "sanity" are nothing more than your way of saying that in your opinion it isn't as good as many other people feel it is. Which is fine. I however do think its the best film since the LOTR trilogy and stand by my opinion.

Actually, my claims of "sanity" are just a nicer way of saying that some people are retarded for this movie. :lol Not saying you specifically, but there is definitely a groupthink among a segment of the geek contingent (particuarly online) that is just going overboard over this flick. Again, the fact that this thread was even started is a good example.

And you mean best genre film since the LOTR trilogy, right?

Actually, my claims of "sanity" are just a nicer way of saying that some people are retarded for this movie. :lol Not saying you specifically, but there is definitely a groupthink among a segment of the geek contingent (particuarly online) that is just going overboard over this flick. Again, the fact that this thread was even started is a good example.

And you mean best genre film since the LOTR trilogy, right?

Just wait a few years and TDK will be judged in a sober way for the mediocre bore it is.

Back