Is Chris Nolan On Track To Becoming The Best Director Ever?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Practically an impossibility this far into the movie industry.

Most of the greatest are not simply people who directed great films but broke some sort of barrier or discovered something critical to the film making or story telling process.

Nolan is certainly one of the best and most practical going right now, but until he does something truely groundbreaking, he can not even be considered for such a title. All he's done is "perfect" as much as they have been so far, certain concepts, like the "Matrix concept" for Inception, the "batman concept" for The Dark Knight.

I think the books are closed on greatest directors until someone literally comes up with Inception and can just put you in the movie. 3d is nice but it's nothing new.

Not even close. Not even the best director (or director team) working today, IMO. However, he is very good, and will probably be remembered as such once his time has passed.

I think people are selling Nolan short. He's still a relatively young director who's done some consistently impressive work. No, he's not the best, but I think he's holding his own.

I have not seen a bad movie from Nolan: Memento, Insomnia, Batman Begins, The Prestige, The Dark Knight and now Inception.

I've never seen his first film, 'Following'.

Hmm.. I don't think you can have a "best director ever". But he is certainly a GREAT director.

I think your movies need to stand the test of time and Nolan hasn't been around that long.

Some of my favorite directors: Hitchcock, Scorsese, Ford, Spielberg, Eastwood, Cameron, Howard, Scott, Burton, Gibson, Jackson, and Nolan.

Some of these directors have stood the test of time, others are still working on it. So far I have enjoyed all of Nolan's films but he has a long career ahead of him. At one point, I would have said that Spielberg was the man... but over the years I have disliked many of his films and thought some were even just plain bad.

Time will tell!

The amount of prescient exclamations in this thread is rampant. It's like everyone has the incredible gift of foreknowledge.

"Nolan will be the best director evar!"

"He'll be forgotten in 20 years! His time will pass."

The amount of prescient exclamations in this thread is rampant. It's like everyone has the incredible gift of foreknowledge.

"Nolan will be the best director evar!"

"He'll be forgotten in 20 years! His time will pass."

The next HT figure will be the Reeve Superman!

He could be one of the best directors ever when it is all said and done. But there is no way of proclaiming who is "the best."

Back