Is Chris Nolan On Track To Becoming The Best Director Ever?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think he's on track to being remembered as one of our finest filmmakers ever because his films are not only shot great(he knows who to work with for lighting) but his stories are layered where you get out of them what thought you put into them. He also gets the best out of actors in their performances.

I'm not so sure about that. He works with actors already known for their performances so I question how much of that is down to him. When we look at his work with unknowns (for example the ferry sequence in The Dark Knight) the acting is pretty bad, which suggests to me that he's relying on the warhorses to deliver on their own accord.

He's also got a nose for plot but seems uncomfortable with basic human emotion. Most of the human touches in his film are sold by the actors rather than the writing or direction. I think Nolan does a great line in "portentous" and that plays well for a certain crowd. But he's barely capable of delivering the action in his action movies and his dramatic chops fall short of spectacular. Does anyone care about Bruce Wayne in the Batman movies? Does anyone care about anything other than the mystery in Memento? He never got the Rachel Dawes character to work.

He knows how to make a frame look good and how to deliver "cool" set pieces. But so does Michael Bay, who is probably technically a better director yet who hasn't managed to create a zombie army of geeks who confuse Heath Ledger for The Dark Knight. But I'm still waiting for that innovative shot; that subverted technique; anything at all that would hint at moving from "adequate" to "inspired" or even "the best."

That's just my opinion, and I could be wrong. But then again so much of the Nolan love seems to be coming from the same place, and it's a crowd that lacks grounding in cinema and which over and over again proves incapable of mounting an argument that Nolan is a great director that doesn't ultimately boil down to "the Joker was badass."

As a whole, the movie was actually kind of disappointing, and very depressing. Not at all what I look for in movies in general, let alone a superhero movie.

Well we probably look for different things in movies, which is obviously a very normal thing. I didn't find the movie as a whole depressing, but there were certainly tragedies depicted on film. I *liked* the fact that there were real stakes and losses and tragedies, *especially* in a superhero movie.

I think it compares quite favorably to The Empire Strikes Back in that regard. As for TDK, even with the tragedies I still felt that it ended on an uplifting, almost inspiring note.

But so does Michael Bay, who is probably technically a better director...

:lol Ummm...yeah...he of the frantic, moving camera at all times. Michael Bay never met a sweeping, circular shot he didn't like. Seriously, he even parodies himself in his commercial.

On a related note, I hear Paul W.S. Anderson is better with the camera than the Cohen Brothers. :lol

There wasn't anything in the TDK that necessarily stands out to me from a director's standpoint; the main power in the film is THE performance of Ledger. Memento is an excellent film, more demonstrative of Nolan's chops.

I am somewhat amazed that this is still such a heated debate, at least among a few people here.

If one person wants to think he is the headed down a road to greatness let them think it. Why endlessly debate about something that is nothing more than a matter of opinion.

Who decides what makes a great director? Pretentious ****** bags, thats who. And what makes them right?

I dont think he is that great, but who gives a shat what I think? I think Rob Zombie is a good director, so I guess I have no idea what I am talking about.

I think Rob Zombie is a good director, so I guess I have no idea what I am talking about.

Agreed completely. If nothing else, for the long, lingering shot of Bill Mosely with the gun to bigteeth's head. That felt like 15 minutes of pure tension.

Looking over his body of work I can say that as a director he's shot his films well and seemingly got good performance out of his actors. Directing aside I found many of the subject matters/plots in his films to be so-so at best (but I can't blame him for a story that was already boring to begin with frankly).

If one person wants to think he is the headed down a road to greatness let them think it. Why endlessly debate about something that is nothing more than a matter of opinion.

There's nothing wrong with that. Nothing at all. But, if someone poses the question to others (as the thread title does), and then proceeds to argue and debate against everyone who answers 'no', what do you expect to have happen?

Not counting his amateur and short film work (mostly stuff he did as a child, and student films), Spielberg's first six feature-length directorial efforts were:

The Sugarland Express (1974)
Jaws (1975)
Close Encounters of the Third Kind (1977)
1941 (1979)
Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981)
E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial (1982)

Not a bad résumé, if you ask me.

I know it was made for T.V, but what about Duel?

I am somewhat amazed that this is still such a heated debate, at least among a few people here.

Who decides what makes a great director? Pretentious ****** bags, thats who. And what makes them right?

I dont think he is that great, but who gives a shat what I think? I think Rob Zombie is a good director, so I guess I have no idea what I am talking about.

I love Rob Zombie's work dude, I respect your opinion. We all think differently, be it slightly or hugely it's what makes forums like this work.

Last edited:
Agreed completely. If nothing else, for the long, lingering shot of Bill Mosely with the gun to bigteeth's head. That felt like 15 minutes of pure tension.

:rotfl :rotfl

I thought that was the intermission and left to get popcorn and came back and it was still going on.

Rob Zombie sucks...
:monkey3

I doubt he'll ever be near great but he's done well so far. I wish he would stop giving his wife false hope by employing her for all of his movies though, she sucks & then there's her acting.
free-random-smileys-425.gif

Last edited:
Barbelith speaks the truth....DK fans just can't handle it.

LOTR is a long boring film. You freaks cant handle that truth! My opinon is FACT!!!

(see what I did there? I am saying how I dont like LOTR and im passing my opinion as fact!)

TDK will remain on my top 10 films of all time. I dont care if you disagree with me, I dont care, its MY opinion. Its not fact. The movie is great, and nothing will make me dislike it.

Hey, it was brought up as an instant classic....I dont deny its brilliance, or Peter Jackson's talent...but I dont like them at all....

However, my opinion on LOTR doesnt matter, my point does. Opinion does not = Fact.

I realize you were just jokin, but I figured I'd take you seriously just incase someone else wanted to revist that statment.

Can't everyone be the greatest director of all time according to someone's opinion?

Except Paris Hilton...just no...

Can't everyone be the greatest director of all time according to someone's opinion?

Except Paris Hilton...just no...

It's all about an individuals perception & taste but sometimes someone gives their opinion and people say "what, you're opinion's a joke"

I respect 99% of peoples opinions when it comes to movies but there is that 1% that just say things they don't really believe just to get a rise out of people, those guys are losers & should be ignored.
Luckily this forum has strong opinions that differ greatly which is what I like.

Back