Is anyone else just kind of "over" Hot Toys or Not?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Is anyone else just kind of "over" Hot Toys?

The problem is they release so many awesome figures in a short period of time. All the Iron Man re-releases give me a breath cause they will be easy to pass... except for the Mark I cause I missed the first one.

Let's see, off the top of my head HT is also releasing:

2 89 Batman figs
1 OC Batman fig
Another DX Joker
2 SP figs
2 Pred figs (maybe more idk)
1 POTC fig & a teaser for another
Just released RE Alice
etc
etc

I could go on but my point is I don't think they're holding any releases back while they pump out IM figs :huh

That may very well be, but you cannot deny that they pump out more IM figs than figures from other licenses. And I mean within their own licence that is.
There's what, 6 or 7 figs from IM, same amount from IM2, plus these gantry and armorcase dioramas.

Then you have a license like Thor, a movie which has done great at the box office and is a very good movie with a big fanbase and it only gets two figures, and not even the main villain at that.

You name licenses like Predators and Batman in your list, but I could pretty much make the same argument for those as I do with IM. I just chose IM in my previous posts because that is the most obvious license that gets milked, especially with the rereleases.

I fully agree that they don't just release these licenses and you name the Sucker Punch, POTC and Alice figures, but it just seems that licenses like these get buried under the IM, Pred and Batman licenses.

I don't think they are holding releases back, they just need to spread them out more even, and give the other licences a chance. When they show a Baby Doll fig for example and a week later an Iron Man, then that will draw Baby Doll buyers away because IM is a better character/figure. It just seems to me that they are releasing too much, too fast which hurts every license except the big sellers.

That may very well be, but you cannot deny that they pump out more IM figs than figures from other licenses. And I mean within their own licence that is.
There's what, 6 or 7 figs from IM, same amount from IM2, plus these gantry and armorcase dioramas.

Then you have a license like Thor, a movie which has done great at the box office and is a very good movie with a big fanbase and it only gets two figures, and not even the main villain at that.

You name licenses like Predators and Batman in your list, but I could pretty much make the same argument for those as I do with IM. I just chose IM in my previous posts because that is the most obvious license that gets milked, especially with the rereleases.

I fully agree that they don't just release these licenses and you name the Sucker Punch, POTC and Alice figures, but it just seems that licenses like these get buried under the IM, Pred and Batman licenses.

I don't think they are holding releases back, they just need to spread them out more even, and give the other licences a chance. When they show a Baby Doll fig for example and a week later an Iron Man, then that will draw Baby Doll buyers away because IM is a better character/figure. It just seems to me that they are releasing too much, too fast which hurts every license except the big sellers.

I never have nor never will deny that HT pumps out more figs from the IM line than any other. Imo that is their bread and butter line, best seller, automatic gold.

Where our opinions differ is that I do not believe that every license they carry "deserves" 2 or more figures from the line, in fact for lines like Sucker Punch I think you're lucky to get 1.

This is where people whining, "IM line gets "X" # of releases so (insert your favorite line here ie - Thor) deserves "X" or "Y" # of releases too!" don't make sense to me. This whole idea of HT having to "spread them out more even" is lost on me.

They are in the business to make money, and right now the IM line is a license to print money. You're basically asking them to take a break from what they do best & stop making guaranteed hand over fist money, and risk taking a financial loss on a line that won't sell as well as IM. You've already admitted those lines like SP will likely get buried under those such as IM so I have to ask, why would a company even consider the gamble? That's awful financial advice imo.

Also, it's lines like IM, Bats, Preds that allow the company to give other licenses a chance, yet that's almost never mentioned and drowned out in the tears of those crying about the next IM release. The other licenses will get their shot but patience isn't really a virtue for anyone in this hobby it seems, myself included.

I for one am considering selling my entire HT collection and going the Enterbay route of the HD 1:4. HT pump out too much stuff in a short space of time. I have 7 IM figures and I wanted to complete the line but I can't keep up. I now want to sell the ones I do have. Hot Toys have ruined this hobby for me.

Also, it's lines like IM, Bats, Preds that allow the company to give other licenses a chance, yet that's almost never mentioned and drowned out in the tears of those crying about the next IM release. The other licenses will get their shot but patience isn't really a virtue for anyone in this hobby it seems, myself included.

I said this myself in one of the posts I made over this subject.

I'm also not asking for them to give other licenses as much figures as they give the IM line, because I know they won't sell.

The thing that bugs me most is that of these other licenses, be it Thor, Tron or Sucker Punch, they make a main character and the second character (if they even make it) isn't the logical choice. But instead of making the logical figure after the second, they often seem to drop the line completely i.e. Tron Legacy on hold...

I don't need 20 figures from Thor, but is it too much to ask to give us Loki when they make huge profits from their Iron Man licenses?

Again, I don't mind them making IM figures, I understand it, but for the collectors who don't collect IM, or are completely happy with just one IM figure (like me with my Mk IV) it just seems like they don't make much else anymore.

Sooner or later they gonna hurt themselves. By releasing too much too fast. IM completists won't be able to buy everything. The Iron Monger costs €420 here for Christ's sake. If it was cheaper, I'd probably would've gotten it, but this is too much for me.
If I was a completist, wanting to buy Monger, Gantry, Armorwall plus the new Mk I, I'd be pretty pissed if they were announced around the same time.
Spreading these out is a good strategy IMO, it gives the completists some time to save up, while in the meantime HT can announce, bring out some other stuff to bring more variation in their licenses, to keep the other collectors happy.

When it comes to the decision of what character they do for the lines, I've got nothing but guesses about likeness rights and agree some are very odd. Kevin Flynn is the 1st Tron figure? Odin before Loki? Sigh.

I see your point about completing lines but as another collector on this board put it - completism is a prison. Financially most collector's will have to free themselves from that mentality as there are just way too many awesome releases hitting in multiple lines simultaneously to collect them all.

I'm not over HT but I'm not lying when I say that some of their latest decisions and releases are making me a bit less interested.

I don't mind that they are milking the IM license, but they could space those figures out a bit more. We get the announcements for the Gantry, Iron Monger, Armor Gallery, new Mk I, Milk War Machine in a very rapid order. It seems they only make Iron Men these days.

Like I said, I don't mind them making them, because it earns them a lot of money which they can use to R&D and make other figures.

It would just be nice if those other figures were of some of their other licenses.

Take Thor, Tron, Captain America, Sucker Punch and Avatar for example. All licenses which have gotten two figures tops while there could be at least one more for them all.
Where are Clu, Loki, Red Skull and Neytiri, for example
? :dunno

And worse than that, we have had license announcements for X-Men:FC and Metal Gear Solid long before that, without ever having seen anything.

So I'd say;

HT, give IM a rest for now and give some attention to your other lines. Show us that you care about them as well and people will buy into them. If you stop after just 1 or 2 (strange choiced) figures, you won't get the sales you want.

The thing that bugs me most is that of these other licenses, be it Thor, Tron or Sucker Punch, they make a main character and the second character (if they even make it) isn't the logical choice. But instead of making the logical figure after the second, they often seem to drop the line completely i.e. Tron Legacy on hold...

I don't need 20 figures from Thor, but is it too much to ask to give us Loki when they make huge profits from their Iron Man licenses?

Again, I don't mind them making IM figures, I understand it, but for the collectors who don't collect IM, or are completely happy with just one IM figure (like me with my Mk IV) it just seems like they don't make much else anymore.

Sooner or later they gonna hurt themselves. By releasing too much too fast. IM completists won't be able to buy everything. The Iron Monger costs €420 here for Christ's sake. If it was cheaper, I'd probably would've gotten it, but this is too much for me.
If I was a completist, wanting to buy Monger, Gantry, Armorwall plus the new Mk I, I'd be pretty pissed if they were announced around the same time.
Spreading these out is a good strategy IMO, it gives the completists some time to save up, while in the meantime HT can announce, bring out some other stuff to bring more variation in their licenses, to keep the other collectors happy.

rockclap.gif

My thoughts exactly

Dude, i just noticed you've been a member on this forum for about 6 months and already have 7,000+ posts. GET A ____ING LIFE!!!!!!

:lol

Last edited:

Dude, i just noticed you've been a member on this forum for about 6 months and already have 7,000+ posts. GET A ____ING LIFE!!!!!!

:lol

The Rock approves :lecture
dwayne_johnson1.jpg

I'm good with IM figures, (not with the secret version and the blue one, which are like please stop this nonsense), they can even make Nick Fury and Agent Coulson or whatever they want. But the should do the same with the other licenses, make fans of other things "happier" (and poorer too lol) by releasing more characters from some series.

I'm not over HT, it's only the beginnin' :nana: I kinna enjoy more the stats, but it's not the same.

My problem with Hot Toys:

VEYJ1.jpg

:rotfl :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl

I don't see what people get pissed over. I just buy what I like from what they make. I skip all kinds of their stuff: Iron Men, Predators, Thor ect.

I just get what I like. And it would $uck to like and want everything they make. I don't see how someone could enjoy all the items they put out if they did purchase them all. Those same fewls buy em and then dump them off a couple weeks later. :cuckoo:

I for one am considering selling my entire HT collection and going the Enterbay route of the HD 1:4. HT pump out too much stuff in a short space of time. I have 7 IM figures and I wanted to complete the line but I can't keep up. I now want to sell the ones I do have. Hot Toys have ruined this hobby for me.

Sounds more like completism ruined the hobby for you :dunno

:rotfl at this thread recently.

If yer kinda' over HTs move on:wave

Some posts seem to intimate that HTs owes us certain figures of certain lines nonsense.

They are a business.

They are a successful business.

They make money in an iffy world economy.

They make figures from movies/licenses with the quality that I like/expect at their current price point--albeit an expensive one.

why are people mad that hot toys is making stuff that makes them money? :huh

hot toys was never going to make a full line for sucker punch or tron. both of those films under-performed at the box office. do we deserve a loki or a red skull? sure! but iron man re-releases would easily outsell those, and I believe they will come in time.

for the people mad that we haven't seen x-men or metal gear yet, be patient... they will come. i'm kind of glad they haven't been announced yet so i can save up some more $$$. and to be honest, I doubt we will get more than two x-men first class figures either.

hot toys was never going to make a full line for sucker punch or tron. both of those films under-performed at the box office. do we deserve a loki or a red skull? sure! but iron man re-releases would easily outsell those, and I believe they will come in time.

for the people mad that we haven't seen x-men or metal gear yet, be patient... they will come. i'm kind of glad they haven't been announced yet so i can save up some more $$$. and to be honest, I doubt we will get more than two x-men first class figures either.

Variety is the spice of life, a few of this and that, just isn't enough compared to the endless Iron Man, Batman and Predators.

If fans know a line will get attention they'll be more include to buy into it, if they know HT will abandon it they wont, so Ht is setting up these lines to fail from the get go.

You don't need 10 figures per line just common sense, they've already done 2 Sucker Punch girls, why not complete it with 3 more? same with X-Men, Captain America and Thor, around five figures per line would cover most of the favourite characters, please fans and not ruin Hot Toys.

Iron Man has gotten 20, Batman about 13 or so. So 5 from these lines is not un-reasonable to ask for.

Iron Man, Batman and Predator had to get figures before they could make money, same principle for every other license, if HT build them up they'll get a good cash return.

A movies box office gross means nothing, Transformers trilogy made about a Billion and are pretty bad films, lther films are great and don't earn a ton of cash.

Sorry, I disagree. For high end collectibles as much as these cost, I feel that box office does help determine what Hot Toys will make.

Not sure if the newest Predators bombed or not, but there have been more films than just that one. Already a collector base.

In addition to Iron Man and Batman getting a ____load of figures, these are super famous comic book characters also - that have a big fan base regardless of the films.

Sorry, I disagree. For high end collectibles as much as these cost, I feel that box office does help determine what Hot Toys will make.

Not sure if the newest Predators bombed or not, but there have been more films than just that one. Already a collector base.

In addition to Iron Man and Batman getting a ____load of figures, these are super famous comic book characters also - that have a big fan base regardless of the films.

:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl :exactly:

busey_clapping.gif

I just started collecting HT figures got Thor and ordered Captain America, Superman, and 89 Joker. I will say I don't have a lot of room to display them, and I'm really picky about what I would spend 200 bucks on. I mean I gotta love the movie that I would spend that much money to have a figure from. Even though I'd admire almost all the craftsmanship on almost all of their figures, I need to have a love for the movie I'm buying a figure from to wanna shell out that kinda money. But that's maybe just me being odd. If HT keeps making the same figure lines like Predator, Rocky, or Iron Man (all movies that I really enjoy, but don't love to the point I need figures next to my TV to show how much I like those movies), and re releasing figures it's fine by me saves me money and space :) When and if the start releasing older movie figures like the ones on my wishlist at the bottom (most of them will probably never happen), or if they acquire a license for Batman Forever then I'll be in trouble :( until then I'm in the clear money wise and space saving wise so it's all good.

Last edited:

I've been able to justify ordering Iron Monger because they haven't announced anything I want in a while. Out of all the Comic-Con announcements Iron Monger was the only one I really wanted. I'm on the fence about the Luke Skywalker, and what's weird about that is finding out they were only planning maybe one Star Wars release a year I was more apt to order, because it felt like a good pace. Anything Star Wars can turn into a big black hole that's hard to get yourself out of once it starts.

With Iron Man, I just want one version of each suit, if they announce a new version or a convention exclusive version, I just don't bite. I set my limit and I feel pretty good about it.

I do get frustrated however if its a line I'm really excited about and they quit or stop before I get the character I really want from it. The decision HT made to not start the Watchmen line with Rorschach has been a head scratcher to me and always felt like a missed opportunity.

I am glad they don't release everything I want at the same time or I wouldn't be able to afford to get any of it. One thing that is tricky about following HT, is while I feel pretty confident the Watchmen line is dead, I don't feel comfortable calling much else dead. I do think there are projects they take their time with, they will rush to get some preorders out by the time a movie is being released. I do think the Thor and Tron: Legacy lines are more about that than that they are necessarily cancelled or postponed in favor of more Iron Man projects. I think Kevin Flynn came out first because he had the easiest look at of all the characters and they could get a preorder out at the time the movie was released. The light cycle delays tells me that get the light up features on that or another future product has to have been a beast to figure out.
I do think if HT feels they can get away with taking their time they will. I also think if you are going to collect HT stuff you have to be prepared to play something of a long game. Look how long it took for pics to surface of Superman and Jake Sulley, some people were convinced those projects were on the scrap pile.

Iron Man, Batman and Predator had to get figures before they could make money, same principle for every other license, if HT build them up they'll get a good cash return.

they've already done 2 Sucker Punch girls, why not complete it with 3 more?

HT didn't just start pumping out Batman figures. They made one Begins figure. The movie was successful and the figure sold well. They followed it up with three figures for TDK. The movie made Titanic money and the figures sold like gangbusters. So on, so forth.

Sucker Punch is getting two figures off the bat with miserable box office and mixed (at best) reception. Why not just be grateful for that if you're a fan?

Been collecting long before Hot Toys came on the scene. Expect to be be collecting long after they're gone. Never about the value to me, but about what I liked and what it represented and what it meant to me. Collecting has always been about nostalgia to me.

Back