Is anyone else just kind of "over" Hot Toys or Not?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Is anyone else just kind of "over" Hot Toys?

I posted this in the Iron Man MK1 reissue thread, but now that I found this thread, it seems at least as appropriate to post here:
This situation disappoints me. Please hear me out and bear with my long post here... I have collected things for a long time, (I'm 44) most of which I eventually sell because my interests change a bit every few years. HT continually going back to the well on already released figures hurts. I am not an investor. I'm also not a scalper or a "flipper". When I buy, I fully intend to keep a figure. I open them and display them. I am fairly low income. I feel like I am lucky to have any job in this economy, and thankfully I like my current job, it took me 2 years to get it. I had already cut my purchasing down a bit, (maybe 30%) because the per figure price seems to have gone up a good deal. Hot Toys' prices seem to have even influenced other companies. Sideshow would not be charging as much for their figures were it not for HT conditioning us to accept higher prices on figures. This Iron Man release is the straw that breaks my particular camel's back. The prices have gone insane- were the prices more reasonable, I would not have passed on Jake Sully, Iron Monger, the Gantry, the Hall of Armor, Sam Flynn, Ghost Rider, 1989 Batman and Joker. However, I just can't justify it any more. As beautiful as these figures are, they are not worth $200+ every time, and that is where it is heading. It seems to be creeping to 250+. I'm going to just have to enjoy what I have and buy no more than 2 to 4 figures a year, tops.
As I said, I'm not an investor, scalper, flipper, etc. I'm a collector, and a trained appreciator of art. Hot Toys recent increase in re-releases makes them less like artists, and more like a standard retailer. Like a high-rent Hasbro. When I shell out $160-$200 for a figure, I expect it to remain limited in it's nature so it holds it's value. It's my one justification for buying such expensive items. I know that if I hit hard times, they have held their value, or occasionally increased in value, so if I am in financial trouble I can get my cost back out of them to cover a bill or pay for an emergency. There is no justifying such high prices for a product that is mass-produced. I'm sure this is wonderful for newer collectors that missed older releases, but stick around, eventually this will happen to you too, and I bet you won't be as ecstatic, especially since your new Iron Man will have cost even more. I have collected a lot of things in the past (god, the money I spent during the Clinton years alone!) and I have seen so many other companies in multiple genres get greedy, screw the collectors, and it always ends the same. It may take a while for them to lose steam, but they will. mark my words, we have just hit the "Shark Jump" moment in Hot Toys lifespan.
And honestly, as much as improvements are nice, I get *so* tired of seeing a figure I have already bought released again with improvements, or more accessories, etc. It just makes me mad. I already bought that, thanks HT for making me feel like what I have is inferior. I absolutely refuse to buy the new one though... I did that once, and I felt like a massive sucker. As long as HT sells figures as "limited edition" and "collectibles", re-issues are really wrong. :gah:

I posted this in the Iron Man MK1 reissue thread, but now that I found this thread, it seems at least as appropriate to post here:
This situation disappoints me. Please hear me out and bear with my long post here... I have collected things for a long time, (I'm 44) most of which I eventually sell because my interests change a bit every few years. HT continually going back to the well on already released figures hurts. I am not an investor. I'm also not a scalper or a "flipper". When I buy, I fully intend to keep a figure. I open them and display them. I am fairly low income. I feel like I am lucky to have any job in this economy, and thankfully I like my current job, it took me 2 years to get it. I had already cut my purchasing down a bit, (maybe 30%) because the per figure price seems to have gone up a good deal. Hot Toys' prices seem to have even influenced other companies. Sideshow would not be charging as much for their figures were it not for HT conditioning us to accept higher prices on figures. This Iron Man release is the straw that breaks my particular camel's back. The prices have gone insane- were the prices more reasonable, I would not have passed on Jake Sully, Iron Monger, the Gantry, the Hall of Armor, Sam Flynn, Ghost Rider, 1989 Batman and Joker. However, I just can't justify it any more. As beautiful as these figures are, they are not worth $200+ every time, and that is where it is heading. It seems to be creeping to 250+. I'm going to just have to enjoy what I have and buy no more than 2 to 4 figures a year, tops.
As I said, I'm not an investor, scalper, flipper, etc. I'm a collector, and a trained appreciator of art. Hot Toys recent increase in re-releases makes them less like artists, and more like a standard retailer. Like a high-rent Hasbro. When I shell out $160-$200 for a figure, I expect it to remain limited in it's nature so it holds it's value. It's my one justification for buying such expensive items. I know that if I hit hard times, they have held their value, or occasionally increased in value, so if I am in financial trouble I can get my cost back out of them to cover a bill or pay for an emergency. There is no justifying such high prices for a product that is mass-produced. I'm sure this is wonderful for newer collectors that missed older releases, but stick around, eventually this will happen to you too, and I bet you won't be as ecstatic, especially since your new Iron Man will have cost even more. I have collected a lot of things in the past (god, the money I spent during the Clinton years alone!) and I have seen so many other companies in multiple genres get greedy, screw the collectors, and it always ends the same. It may take a while for them to lose steam, but they will. mark my words, we have just hit the "Shark Jump" moment in Hot Toys lifespan.
And honestly, as much as improvements are nice, I get *so* tired of seeing a figure I have already bought released again with improvements, or more accessories, etc. It just makes me mad. I already bought that, thanks HT for making me feel like what I have is inferior. I absolutely refuse to buy the new one though... I did that once, and I felt like a massive sucker. As long as HT sells figures as "limited edition" and "collectibles", re-issues are really wrong. :gah:

:goodpost: I feel the same way, which is why I sold off a lot of my HT and will get very few from now on, if any. I only collect statues now.

It's readily apparent that Hot Toys does not care about anything other than making completely awesome figures. In about 2 years, they will make absolute mind-blowing $800 action figures and they will sell about 17 of them.

I think there's a guy who stands next to Howard Chan and says "$349?!?! But people can't afford that!!" And Howard says "____ 'EM!!! This looks bad-ass"

More power to them, if they can shrink cinemaquettes down to 1/6 scale. I think Hot Toys is extremely shrewd, since the beginning, not publishing edition sizes. I'm sure the retailers have a pretty good idea of how many Hot Toys actually makes, but I'm really interested in how many $250 action figures they are truly selling. Between them getting more recognition amongst collectors, counter-balanced by the ever increasing prices, if they're actually selling MORE. I'm curious how sales of TDK Bats V1 compares to the sales of 89 DX Bats.

But yeah, I'm still 'over' Hot Toys. I'm mostly 'over' everybody complaining/creaming their shorts every time they announce a new figure. Kinda like how Apple makes great computers but the Apple fanboys are completely annoying?? I don't separate the two

It's readily apparent that Hot Toys does not care about anything other than making completely awesome figures. In about 2 years, they will make absolute mind-blowing $800 action figures and they will sell about 17 of them.

More power to them, if they can shrink cinemaquettes down to 1/6 scale. I think Hot Toys is extremely shrewd, since the beginning, not publishing edition sizes. I'm sure the retailers have a pretty good idea of how many Hot Toys actually makes, but I'm really interested in how many $250 action figures they are truly selling. Between them getting more recognition amongst collectors, counter-balanced by the ever increasing prices, if they're actually selling MORE. I'm curious how sales of TDK Bats V1 compares to the sales of 89 DX Bats.

But yeah, I'm still 'over' Hot Toys. I'm mostly 'over' everybody complaining/creaming their shorts every time they announce a new figure. Kinda like how Apple makes great computers but the Apple fanboys are completely annoying?? I don't separate the two

"More power to them, if they can shrink cinemaquettes down to 1/6 scale"...I hope not cause Cinemaquette is ugly and overpriced on most of them.

You make a good point.Only HT knows if they are rolling in cash cus of the higher prices etc.

Flip side is for every collector that is giving up HT cus its not exclusive as it was before there seems to be 4-5 newer collectors starting collecting HT course of greater exposure.

No I'm not over Hot Toys, or Over Macho Grande?:rolleyes2
With the reissue of Iron Man Mark I,I'm so not over them!
I missed it the 1st time and will get it this time!

I'm not over Hot Toys, but I'm looking at them with a cautious leer... I'm going to be much, much more selective about what i buy.

Hot Toys are peaking, great time to be into the company and the lines they offer. :lecture

:goodpost: I understand what you're saying. As a collector who collects things that I like and sometimes for perceived future value, it kind of sucks to lose the added bonus of seeing a figure you love go up in value, only to go back down once another newer version of it comes out. But it gives the newer collectors who missed out on the older figures, and who can't otherwise afford the after-market prices of the older figures, another chance. I see the pros and cons of both sides.

I think it all boils down to profits and business at the end of the day. If hot toys can get away with selling and rehashing older versions into new to make more money they will. Also, if hot toys can get away with upping the prices on their figures they will. Hot toys is in the business of making money and could care less about their collectors, unless their collectors stop buying their products.

But on a brighter note, once we see more competition in the movie 1/6 market, you'll begin to see hot toys retail prices drop hopefully. There are some competitors on the horizon. Look out for Blitzway. they recently released a Scarface figure with the sculpt and detail that is on par with, if not better than, Hot Toys. They should give hot toys a run for their money.

Last edited:

I've had to limit myself.

So I'm collecting Batman and Marvel releases. Those licenses alone are already proving they are hard to keep up with.

In the end, they are just Toys, really nice, highly accurate, amazing quality (most of the time) toys, but toys non-the-less and I refuse to put myself into the poor house because of them

Also, if hot toys can get away with upping the prices on their figures they will. Hot toys is in the business of making money and could care less about their collectors, unless their collectors stop buying their products.

That is definitely a concern of mine, too. I have passed on a lot of stuff lately because it feels like $200 is an absolutely vulgar price for an action figure, even a nicely made one. HT really are pricing me out of the market, and the sharp price increase just feels insulting. There are so many figures in the last 6-9 months that I had every intention of buying until I saw the price. :horror

the thing is ... that you have to limit yourself only to stuff you REAAAALLLLY want...

i mean i loved the joker in TDK... but do i need a figure of him?.. well ... not really.. i'm more interested in stuff, that i've been waiting for ages to get in my collection...

also the terminator stuff was great...
but i have 2 terminators in 1/12 scale which look awesome...
and before i spend 200+ dollars on a 1/6 scale one... i rather kitbash one myself..

just my 2 cents

I think there's a guy who stands next to Howard Chan and says "$349?!?! But people can't afford that!!" And Howard says "____ 'EM!!! This looks bad-ass"

Actual LOL right there. My wife's looking at me like I'm nuts.

the thing is ... that you have to limit yourself only to stuff you REAAAALLLLY want...

• Fortunately the stuff i really want is MGS and X-Men First Class and HT have both Licenses :yess:
  • Unfortunately Hot Toys are too busy remaking older figures and too focussed on Iron Man, Batman and Predator to bother to make more than 2 to 3 from those lines for me and other fans :pfft:

• Unfortunately Hot Toys are too busy remaking older figures and too focussed on Iron Man, Batman and Predator to bother to make more than 2 to 3 from those lines for me and other fans :pfft:

Yet, even with incessant whining on every thread you still support HT IM with your wallet in confirmed IM pre orders totaling ~ $750 at the moment. :rotfl

Awesome. :lol

Yet, even with incessant whining on every thread you still support HT IM with your wallet in confirmed IM pre orders totaling ~ $750 at the moment. :rotfl

Awesome. :lol

What the hell are you talking about i got 1 iron man on order, if you dont mind i was responding to a post on here not trolling.

troll.jpg

You reaching stalker levels here mate.

You're known to latch onto any post in the past 10 pages of a thread that will allow you to get on your soap box. By all means, please continue. :wave

You're known to latch onto any post in the past 10 pages of a thread that will allow you to get on your soap box. By all means, please continue. :wave

My last post was in response to two posts above :lecture

I'm trying to enjoy the internet, please stop following me to each thread i'm in and stalking me.... Now piss off.

Back