Is anyone else just kind of "over" Hot Toys or Not?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Is anyone else just kind of "over" Hot Toys?

seriously me and hot toys are done professionally! i think im gonna try and get myself banned from this site so i dont have to see and eventually buy all these new figures.

I buy them, get bored, sell them. Haven't kept one single one.

Prefer collecting diecast jets now a days. Even that has seen a 50% increase in price over the past 3 years. Madness!

Not over them yet, but seeing the $265 price tag on the Joker today was my first step in that direction.

Remember paying $80 for my first HT figure, never did I expect to be paying 3x that amount.

i've found myself growing less and less interested over the past few months too and i suppose that's wholly due to the prices. It's not about whether i can afford the figures or not (which many point to when you say you don't agree with the price), it's rather that i plainly don't think ht figures are worth the prices they're currently asking. These figures are great but i don't think they're $180+ great. When you get to $250 and such they definitely get a lot less appealing to me.

For me there's a price limit with these figures, beyond which i start to feel like i've wasted money or been taken for a sucker. It gets to a point where it's just not an agreeable exchange, where i feel like i'm being gypped.

i couldnt agree more with you buddy....
In the end of the day its a piece of plastic
a piece of art maybe but it's a plastic
lately i feel the same as you

that maybe the figures are great , but not $250 great

especially with the global economical crisis every penny counts

I totally agree!

As awesome as some of those figurs might be (and just some, because some others are just "quite good"), there's no way they cost what they're being sold for!

... but collectors are suckers (and yes, I count myself among these) and as long as we suckers are ready to pay this much for plastic toys, I don't see why they would increase their prices.

Some guys in other threads have written that figs were totally worth their prices. With that attitude, don't expect prices to drop anytime soon.

The only ways out of this crazyness would be:

-We stop buying: I do't see that happening unfortunaly
-Some other figure giant rises up and starts to make a sane competition. Well, the only ones having the talent so far (enterbay, DId ormaybe ACI) don't seem to have the fiancial backup to be much of a threat to HT at the moment...

... so the prices will keep going higher and higher in the near future I'm afraid... :(

Not over them, but not devoted to them either. But with the kind of price tag they're slapping onto the new Bats and Joker, I'm in no rush to pre-order. Will probably wait and see how things look when it's actually out, especially given their history with problems in the DX02 Bats.

I've given most of the releases a pass for the whole of last year as none of the characters interested me, but this upcoming 6 months is going to be bloody hard.

Like some have said, i think the price increase is good in the way that it's forcing some of us to now be much more selective of the figures that we buy.

Not over them yet, but seeing the $265 price tag on the Joker today was my first step in that direction.

Remember paying $80 for my first HT figure, never did I expect to be paying 3x that amount.

I'm not a HT fan to say the least, but the $265 for a figure is just insane. I know that they articulate but is it really worth $265? Prices like this would just make me convert over to statue collecting.

Don't know how you guys keep going with these HT prices...:gah:

seriously me and hot toys are done professionally! i think im gonna try and get myself banned from this site so i dont have to see and eventually buy all these new figures.

Still don't think that's a fool proof plan.

IT'S A TRAP!!! Don't cha know...:(

I wanted to buy some HT a few years ago, but you miss out and you end up having to pay a huge secondary price, so I decided not to get any, they are awesome looking, but to me not worth the prices. I ordered Joker and Batman 89' but don't know if I will keep them, really want the batmobile though.

I'm still not over HT but I do feel the end coming soon, or at least a serious reduction in how much I buy.

I'm getting married soon and we have other things to plan for. Unless I win the lottery, my extra budget is going to have to go towards more important things.

As far as the prices getting out of control...I can justify the price on the Jake Sully figure and the IM gantry. The Batman '89 figures though are def. starting to raise eyebrows (and I'm fully aware that we're paying for what must have have been an extremely expensive licensing fee for the movie and for Jack Nicholson's likeness).

Price certainly plays a big part of putting me off buying further hot toys. One day I had this crazy thought about it - it was after I had just bought Hot Toys Sgt Barnes from Platoon. Think I payed about £150ish including P+P. I was all happy until I thought, I don't even like Platoon that much, what am I doing?

It's sad because I'd like to buy every Hot Toys release, but now I'm really limited to the brands that I truely love. Figures like sucker punch etc don't stand a chance of being bought by me anymore.

It's sad because I'd like to buy every Hot Toys release, but now I'm really limited to the brands that I truely love. Figures like sucker punch etc don't stand a chance of being bought by me anymore.

This happened to me with "The Spirit" figures. I ended up getting the set and realizing that while they looked great, I didn't really like the movie all that much.

Part of the reason why I didn't purchase the Platoon or Sucker Punch figures. If they were cheaper I would probably be more inclined to purchase some more figures just based on how excellent the sculpts are.

I guess its good that out of all the items revealed over the last two months I only want two things. But if the rumors about the price of the Luke figure being true, I may bail on that.
My main interest with HT has been the Marvel Cinematic Universe, but I've had zero interest in the gantry and I'm happy enough with my Iron Man Mark II, that I didn't feel a need to buy the new one. I'm hoping any Avengers related figures next year stay out of the DX line and are spaced well enough apart.
As tempting as the 1989 Batman and Joker were, having them both be DX figures and released at roughly the same time, gave me enough pause to step back. The Joker is almost double what I paid for Kevin Flynn, which just barely came out. My guess is the Joker costs so much however because Nicholson has a pretty insane contract with WB and gets a percentage of every product sold with his likeness until the end of time.

I've found myself growing less and less interested over the past few months too and I suppose that's wholly due to the prices. It's not about whether I can afford the figures or not (which many point to when you say you don't agree with the price), it's rather that I plainly don't think HT figures are worth the prices they're currently asking. These figures are great but I don't think they're $180+ great. When you get to $250 and such they definitely get a lot less appealing to me.

For me there's a price limit with these figures, beyond which I start to feel like I've wasted money or been taken for a sucker. It gets to a point where it's just not an agreeable exchange, where I feel like I'm being gypped.

:exactly:

This is where I am at for sure. The amount I spend on my collection is not an issue. It is what I feel I am getting for the money. And now the HTs just aren't worth what they are asking. To each their own though.

JB

The reason I got into Hot Toys rather than Statues is because as someone from the UK, I have to rely on importing (generally from eBay) and the already huge mark up complemented by the huge shipping cost just makes considering statues impractical ($470 for Temple of Doom Indy PF, never mind a further $120 or so getting the face repainted properly).

Back