Is anyone else just kind of "over" Hot Toys or Not?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Is anyone else just kind of "over" Hot Toys?

Is this the 5 o'clock free crack give away?

tumblr_lln46n5nbC1qhwe64o1_500.png

I think they are going to price themselves out of the market pretty soon for a lot of collectors. They are reaching PF prices which is pretty crazy.

This. So very much this. People are talking about an estimated 300+ dollar pricetag for Luke?
No. Thank. You.

And I agree, I don't care for them as much as i did. I was rather excited to see the new joker, was even considering ordering.. then I saw the official specs and pics thread.... and sudden;y had no interest. Yes, it looks amazing. Yes, it's a fantastic Piece.
So is the statue of David. But that doesn't mean i want it in my living room.

Your not really "over them" your just prioritizing your collection, i'm trying to do that myself ..first step for me is to get rid of all my Ironman figures!:monkey2

Sell me your Mark 1 for $250 - help me help you :lecture

This. So very much this. People are talking about an estimated 300+ dollar pricetag for Luke?
No. Thank. You.

And I agree, I don't care for them as much as i did. I was rather excited to see the new joker, was even considering ordering.. then I saw the official specs and pics thread.... and sudden;y had no interest. Yes, it looks amazing. Yes, it's a fantastic Piece.
So is the statue of David. But that doesn't mean i want it in my living room.

lerath you need to get your ass to the MLPFiM thread in the movie and tv section. :D ;)

:lol

I'm over HT. The prices are to blame. I'd rather get a high end statue. I don't get any kicks from playing with/posing them.

First off, I will admit that I have not purchased a figure in a very long time, and I do not own any hot toys to date. However, I have always looked at the figures that hot toys put out and wanted them. They look like great figures and every in hands picture I have seen of them re affirm it. The prices have gotten way too high for any 12 inch figure in my honest opinion. Still i want the batman...

First off, I will admit that I have not purchased a figure in a very long time, and I do not own any hot toys to date. However, I have always looked at the figures that hot toys put out and wanted them. They look like great figures and every in hands picture I have seen of them re affirm it. The prices have gotten way too high for any 12 inch figure in my honest opinion. Still i want the batman...

l remember when the first Hot Toys preds came out, they were $129.99 retail. those days are LONG GONE.:mad:

i think i have just been oversaturated by hot toys. too many figures and too expensive. i can't seem to prioritize since they release all the major characters i like so i seem to be buying just for the sake of not losing out. with the recent release of the batman figures, i think i have finally given up and no long am able to dish out $200+ for a single figurine. they are cool but i think i will hit the sidelines now

I agree man. Im done with HT. I have gone through too much head ache. Every since HT changed Berserker height and mandibles something just left me. I have sold all my figures and i dont feel bad about it either. I couldve bought so much more. I still want that Samurai pred but i doubt ill get it because theres no telling how much it will cost. Hot Toys know what they are doing and they know that people are addicted to their figures. I can no longer spend 180 for something that sits in a cabinet. I will still use this site to see whats new in the collecting world though. I wish their figs were cheaper but it looks like they are steady climbing beyond my reach. Hopefully one day ill be rich and spend 200 on a figure and it not hurt me.

Honestly, my only issue with Hot toys is that they're just pumping out so much stuff and it's becoming really hard to keep up financially. Then by the time I do have the funds, the price has jumped from when it was first released. When they first got popular and had fewer licenses, there was more time between releases, but now they just tackle so many licenses and multiple versions of the same character, and then I'm kinda stuck figuring which one I want most (Iron Man Mark's IV,V,VI). My other big gripe is how they often dont finish lines once they start them. It's like, cool I have the Comedian, but no Rorschach to go with him, or Wolverine but no Sabretooth, and I'm still waiting for my damn battle damaged T2 Arnie and Police shootout T1. I think they also waist time on hype licenses when they could be putting effort into established ones.

But realistically, no, I could never be "over" HT. For me, once HT makes a certain character it becomes like the ultimate, definitive figure of said character and I rarely ever see the need to buy any other figure of that character from another toy company. So in a sense, yes they are expensive, but if I personally never have to buy 10 other sub-par Spider-man figures it has been worth every cent.

Last edited:

prices are really skyrocketing but im still getting 89 bats and joker, and hopefully the batmobile, then i'll TRY and cut down not quit.

This is me, except for the batmobile.

But i do have a line, if HT crosses that line with a figure that has little but costs lot's then i'm out.

Honestly, my only issue with Hot toys is that they're just pumping out so much stuff and it's becoming really hard to keep up financially. When they first got popular and had fewer licenses, there was more time between releases, but now they just tackle so many licenses and multiple versions of the same character, and then I'm kinda stuck figuring which one I want most (Iron Man Mark's IV,V,VI). My other big gripe is how they often dont finish lines once they start them. It's like, cool I have the Comedian, but no Rorschach to go with him, or Wolverine but no Sabretooth, and I'm still waiting for my damn battle damaged T2 Arnie and Police shootout T1. I think they also waist time on hype licenses when they could be putting effort into established ones.

:exactly:

But if you say that here on the boards, older members will simply state, that they don't make their figures for everyone to buy 1 of, they are making various figure to cater to various fans, and if you can't afford it look elsewhere blah blah blah.

Fact is I have 15 HT in total, over the lifetime of collecting them, i like most of the licenses so it is Extremely hard financially to keep up when HT pump out so much more per Quarter at higher prices.

I think they are going to price themselves out of the market pretty soon for a lot of collectors. They are reaching PF prices which is pretty crazy.

I'm with you on this one - we can see it happening already. I just bought Blitzway's Scarface - and I reckon it is 95% the quality of a HT figure (only issue I had was clothing didn't quite sit right and there were less accessories) but my point is, that a company that is making figures on the same level of quality has just entered the market and is able to operate (we assume) profitably, selling at a slightly lower price point.

I can only hope we will see more companies enter the hyper-detailed 1/6 scale figure market, and we see prices drop over time.

I'd have to say that my Art-Figures Punisher is pretty darn close to HT quality as well, and looks great next to my other HT marvel figures.

I've stopped buying Hot Toys also and selling my last two. Joker and Berserker Predator. They are pretty Bad-ass, but I am getting out of the 1/6th scale and sticking to PF's/statues.
Plus the prices are getting ridiculous. $264.99 for Nicholson Joker, really?

I have 4 HT figures on preorder already and have skipped on a few I've wanted just because of the price (and because I know they are doing Star Wars, MGS, Avengers, TDKR)

If they go full out with the main SW characters I might sell all my HTs and just keep the SW ones. I don't think I could afford em all if they are $250 or more a pop.

Back