Is anyone else just kind of "over" Hot Toys or Not?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Is anyone else just kind of "over" Hot Toys?

Unlike some I don't feel entitled to be able to afford every release HT bring out. HT are not saying "check out all these awesome releases we expect each and every one of you to buy", but many folks here seem to think HT are forcing these things on us and holding us to ransom with big price tags.

I don't buy what I can't afford and I don't buy what I don't like. As such I service my hobby on an average income and I retain the pleasure of collecting through a discerning selection of all that is on offer. Simple.

:exactly:

well said, bro. my sentiments exactly. while i understand the pinch some of us here must feel with the rising prices, ht is a business first and foremost. they're not running a non-profit organisation. at the end of the day, ht still makes top quality products on a consistent basis, which far outstrips anything the competition can manage. also, yeah inflation sucks but it's a reality and the prices of pretty much EVERYTHING are going up, not just 1/6 collectibles. food, petrol, housing, etc. the cost of living is rising by the day.

I did not order the batman and joker cause of the price but i probably will when i see in hand pic. We want high end figures and we got them. You get what you paid. And hot toys are amazing. No one could come close to thier head sculpts and license. I am only upset with them rerelease the older figures. I hate that i want each hot toys figure. Im already a smoker and an alcoholic and a gambler and now addicted to hot toys, damn.

I did not order the batman and joker cause of the price but i probably will when i see in hand pic. We want high end figures and we got them. You get what you paid. And hot toys are amazing. No one could come close to thier head sculpts and license. I am only upset with them rerelease the older figures. I hate that i want each hot toys figure. Im already a smoker and an alcoholic and a gambler and now addicted to hot toys, damn.

:lol:lol:lol

Increasing Prices, has a good effect. It makes us focus more on what we are collecting mainly. Lots of cool stuff releases and will continue to release, however the rising prices makes us think a little bit more than before taking the leap. Saves us the later hassle of wanting to sell off the piece when we realise that it doesnt really resonate with us, and doesnt go with the rest of our stuff.

So Im not really over Hot Toys, Ill still get their coolest releases, BUT only the ones which I REALLY want!

To answer the original question, NO I am not over Hot Toys products. Other companies make pretty good products in 1:6th scale, something that I focus on. Hot Toys just does it better. More expensive, for some; for variety, hands down Hot Toys offers the most licensed product. If your tired of what they offer, a little gun-shy of the sticker shock--MOVE ON :wave

When people stop purchasing, then this market is oversaturated, and the price has hit the ceiling.

Space is as much a factor as price for me. I was a completist with the Sideshow Star Wars line since it started until a year and a half ago and man am I glad I quit. Between the cantina and Yoda's hut, and everything else, the collection would have spread like a virus throughout the house. I just feel like once a collection gets to involving too many pieces it starts looking like clutter.

Hey Everyone,

Just as the title reads. Has anyone just lost interest in HT lately...they just seem..blah to me nowadays. Maybe its' the prices. But I used to own 15-20 of the best HT figs. DX01, 02, 03, 04. TDK, Iron Man, Predator, etc. I recently sold them all off and don't regret it one second. 2 examples recently were, I bought an HT Thor...and sold it the next day, it just looked like a toy..and the recent HT Batman Begin/Wayne debacle at Sideshow. So much hype for what...a headsculpt and a mediocre figure that I already owned and sold. I almost bought into it though, but then I realized, I used to own the OC Bats and wasn't impressed.

Don't get me wrong though...HT does some amazing work. The DX Bespin Luke and The new 89 Bats and Joker, 100% awesome. Will probably bite on 1 or 2 of those(Luke for sure). But , I don't know I really think its the new price trend. When I look at the things I own like the MR Falcon, Sideshow 1:1 C-3PO Bust and the upcoming EFX Vader Legend they have such a commanding presence. They feel worth it.

Who knows maybe I just needed to rant on about it a bit. Anyone else out there feel the same way.:dunno Thanks for listening

JB

Different strokes for different folks. Some ppl collect 12" dolls others collect 1:1 replicas, other collect polystone statues.
I'd say your thread would be more interesting if it was questioning collecting as a whole. Your debate is muddled too. On one hand their recent figures are "Blah", on the other, some new releases are "100% awesome" Make your mind up
:dunno

Wow finally took a peek at the prices for the 89 Batman and 89 Joker.
HT prices continue to climb but they certainly don't rest on their laurels and their craftsmanship is evident in each new generation of offerings.

I'm not exactly "over" Hot Toys but the trends in prices will force me to choose much more carefully which of their figures to pick up. It will be that much harder to be an addicted collector who wants to complete a collection.

Edit: The one thing that I am so over is the need to pre-order a figure or risk paying an arm and a leg on fleabay later on. You can't get other folks opinions on it or even get a chance to look at in a store before plunking down cold hard cash.

Last edited:

Is anyone else just kind of "over" Hot Toys?

The kind of figures HT is rolling out now, it is not possible to ignore or get over them. The quality is amazing. The shelf presence is so good that it overshadows many of the statues. I am sure to get over the urge of buying each and every figure HT puts out, but cannot get over HT completely. Just make sure to get something only if I can really afford it.

Last edited:

hot toys prices are not going up, it is the $$$$ that is going down and just like everything price of these toys are going up, by the time we get to dx 10 i am sure they will be at $399.99-----like gold----

I've found myself growing less and less interested over the past few months too and I suppose that's wholly due to the prices. It's not about whether I can afford the figures or not (which many point to when you say you don't agree with the price), it's rather that I plainly don't think HT figures are worth the prices they're currently asking. These figures are great but I don't think they're $180+ great. When you get to $250 and such they definitely get a lot less appealing to me.

For me there's a price limit with these figures, beyond which I start to feel like I've wasted money or been taken for a sucker. It gets to a point where it's just not an agreeable exchange, where I feel like I'm being gypped.

hot toys prices are not going up, it is the $$$$ that is going down and just like everything price of these toys are going up, by the time we get to dx 10 i am sure they will be at $399.99-----like gold----

So prices are remaining the same in Hong Kong and China? :slap

Not to mention, the Snob Value will/is also increasing. Another way to look at it is, maybe HT wants to take care of the secondary market. Over the years they've seen the way prices on their figures have increased, example: Mark I, DX01, etc. Now, when people are not ready to buy a figure at a PO price of $250, then why/how the hell they will buy it on eBay at 1.5 to 2 times the original price! As the prices go high, people will start backing out; like a pyramid, as we go up fewer people will be there to buy stuff. Maybe now HT wants to cater to the niche market only. The initial years they spent in developing the awareness and now they want to change the brand positioning. Dont really believe the price rise could've been only because of the quality, with a lower price band they will eventually achieve economies of scale.

Last edited:

i am so not over Hot Toys.

Me neither although once the Iron Monger specs are revealed my anticipation will have peaked.I ll always love the company though for the sheer joy they ve bought into my life.

The prices are a little ridiculous for essentially a doll. However, the quality and value of their figures remain extremely high as well

I do have SS, Medi, HT and Takara 1:6 figures as well as SS and HCG 1:1 Endo bust, MR AT-AT, SS Vader bust, Stormtrooper life-size armor, 1:1 TIE Pilot bust and lots of 1:1 Star Wars helmets.

Still the 1:6 figures have their own appeal and magic and even if a bit less impressive than 1:1 stuff I love mine a lot. I don't pose them too much, I try finding a pose I like and they stay like that for as long time.

Indeed I passed on many 1:6 recently to get into larger items, mostly 1:1 which is the most impressive because of sheer size and appearance, but I don't look down on people collecting 1:6 or 1:4. Different strokes for different folks. It is always about budget, display space etc.

Back